Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-18-2011, 11:26 PM   #21
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

I also would like a gun safe, but cost is a factor. In the meantime, I simply purchased an el cheapo metal locking gun cabinet at Gander Mountain. This is primarily to keep my 6 year old daughter out of my guns. She and I have had numerous discussions about how dangerous guns are, they aren't toys, etc., etc. However, you know how kids can be.

Perfect example is that a couple years ago she was watching me shave. I had told her more than once that razors can cut her and to NEVER touch my razors. I stressed this again while she watched me shave. A couple hours later she came in crying that she cut her finger because she touched "the hurt part" of my razor. She had climbed up on the sink and gotten into the medicine cabinet. Luckily, it was nothing more than a nick. I've actually cut myself worse while shaving. We had a nice little "I told you so" talk and she promised never to do it again. She's brought up the razor incident on several occassions when we've discussed things that are dangerous, so I'm hoping she learned her lesson. Regardless, I still bought the gun cabinet.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:10 AM   #22
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post

Perfect example is that a couple years ago she was watching me shave. I had told her more than once that razors can cut her and to NEVER touch my razors. I stressed this again while she watched me shave. A couple hours later she came in crying that she cut her finger because she touched "the hurt part" of my razor. She had climbed up on the sink and gotten into the medicine cabinet. Luckily, it was nothing more than a nick. I've actually cut myself worse while shaving. We had a nice little "I told you so" talk and she promised never to do it again. She's brought up the razor incident on several occassions when we've discussed things that are dangerous, so I'm hoping she learned her lesson. Regardless, I still bought the gun cabinet.
Totally understandable.
As for myself, I grew up in a hunting family. Seeing what guns do to deer was all the convincing I needed.
...well, that and the assurance that I would have my ass beaten if I messed with the guns without an adult's permission. Maybe parental threats don't mean much to kids these days, but back then I was convinced that they would somehow know and I'd get it.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:51 AM   #23
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
...well, that and the assurance that I would have my ass beaten if I messed with the guns without an adult's permission. Maybe parental threats don't mean much to kids these days, but back then I was convinced that they would somehow know and I'd get it.
that's all it took in my house growing up as well!

They still got locked up cuz you never know what our friends would do.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #24
Rider
Moto GP Star

The question is how well will the composite door hold up in a fire? I keep important documents inside my gun safe, not just the guns, so I want max fire protection.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #25
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

I went for a fairly basic Stack-On unit, with key lock, then lag bolted it into a closet, on the side wall, at 6 points (two on the floor and four into the framing). Puting it in, sideways, makes it inconvenient to get at the lock and mess with it, without first emptying out the closet. With it bolted in, they aren't likely to be pulling it out.

But if I were you I'd be looking for a 30.06, to deal with the wildlife loose in Ohio right now.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #26
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
... However, you know how kids can be.

I did this with my Dad. It was lead that he had just melted, poured into a mold, and dumped it out to cool. Told me NOT to touch because it was VERY hot. Guess what... I picked it up But even more quickly dropped it. I was very young, maybe 4 years old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
Totally understandable.
As for myself, I grew up in a hunting family. Seeing what guns do to deer was all the convincing I needed.
I still think my parents would whip me if I did something really stupid. I prefer not to find out though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
The question is how well will the composite door hold up in a fire? I keep important documents inside my gun safe, not just the guns, so I want max fire protection.
Yeah. I would like to know that and why some are cheaper ($) but have higher ratings (temp and time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I went for a fairly basic Stack-On unit, with key lock, then lag bolted it into a closet, on the side wall, at 6 points (two on the floor and four into the framing). Puting it in, sideways, makes it inconvenient to get at the lock and mess with it, without first emptying out the closet. With it bolted in, they aren't likely to be pulling it out.

But if I were you I'd be looking for a 30.06, to deal with the wildlife loose in Ohio right now.
I am looking for not just theft but fire "proof".

Sounds like they are all good with the exotic animals here. Still missing a money, though Hanna thinks one of the other animals ate it... we can only hope.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #27
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Just get Trip to hold your guns. Nobody wants to touch Trip.

We always had them under the beds, even at our grandparents. I guess I really am smart seeing as Im still here.

What size space do you have Doll?
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #28
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
What size space do you have Doll?
It will go in the family room as this room has the most solid flooring and easiest place for me to make room. Exactly how much room? Whatever I want it to be.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #29
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

What about cutting a hole out in the foundation, have a weld shop make a steel box, put it in the hole, have a nice thick sheet of steel for the door with inside hinges so it'll close flush with the foundation, then throw a rug over it and call it a day.

If not then I would look at three things.

1. Dimension size - Gotta be able to get it into your house

2. Gun count - On this, I've learned from reviews that what the company puts as the gun number is usually higher than what it actually is. It's as if they just see how many rods will fit and say thats how many rifles will fit. Plus add scopes or any accessories on your rifles and the actual count drops even more.

3. Fire rating - Look at the temperature rating and for how long. I'm sure a house can burn more than 30 minutes. If you have a brick house I'm sure it gets hotter than a siding house.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:20 AM   #30
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
What about cutting a hole out in the foundation, have a weld shop make a steel box, put it in the hole, have a nice thick sheet of steel for the door with inside hinges so it'll close flush with the foundation, then throw a rug over it and call it a day.
That's not a gun safe, it's a missile silo.

JC