Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #61
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by deals gap dragon slayer View Post
if it goes to licensing then you'd all bitch about the government trying to take your choice away...

gear is about education.. not licensing...
hell, i've got a choice here in texas to not wear a helmet. I've even got the extra endorsement that makes it perfectly legal for me to ride without a lid... but i still wear it every time my bike leaves my driveway.
Keyword= YOU
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:42 AM   #62
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
if it goes to licensing then you'd all bitch about the government trying to take your choice away...

gear is about education.. not licensing...
hell, i've got a choice here in texas to not wear a helmet. I've even got the extra endorsement that makes it perfectly legal for me to ride without a lid... but i still wear it every time my bike leaves my driveway.
I'm with you on this. Until it's a law it won't happen. And when it is law everyone will bitch about the government having too much control.

I also have a choice as to wear a helmet or not. I wear a helmet, riding pants, jacket, riding boots, and gloves EVERY time I get on the bike. Thats my choice. I'd like to be protected if I crash....which I have, and walked away from with a few scuffs on my leathers.

It's all about choice. The shop owners have a choice. They choose to portray themselves as gearless jabrones who sell over priced bikes.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:48 AM   #63
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

I personally feel like you should wear full gear every time you leave the garage. I have done the t-shirt thing before, but I think I and everyone else who does it is asking to be disfigured and crippled. That being said, I'm against helmet and seatbelt laws. If you're a grown man you have the right to make your choices. If they bite you in the ass, that's your problem. And don't give me that shit about insurance rates rising, the insurance industry will fuck you no matter what, safety gear will not affect the depth and savagery of their reaming one way or the other.

I go to the shop I go to because they actually will try to counsel riders on which bike to buy. They're not overt about it or insistent, but they will make suggestions. When I was buying my first bike they steered me towards a model I could handle. I wanted the next bigger class and bought that, but I've ridden what was recommended and they were right, it does fit me better without the adjustments I've had to do to mine. They always recommend gear and will give discounts to new riders along with a bike purchase. Their employees don't always ride in full gear but they at least wear boots, pants and gloves.

Whenever I get a new rider interested in a bike I always talk to them about gear first, riding later. If you go down in your gear, you'll probably be able to ride again. If you go down bare you might not. Why risk it?
Old 03-03-2009, 11:49 AM   #64
deals gap dragon slayer
Addicted to Track

Moto: 2007 Kawi ZX-10R

oh.. ok.. so i get it.. since he's a dealer and is potentially making an impression on other riders its ok to just let him do whatever he wants...

but the Yut UGGhhh douchebag stunter... he needs to be straightened out..

i get it
deals gap dragon slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #65
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
there's no law about it... but what about the overall image of the sportbike community. if it starts off with the dealerships promoting irresponsible behavior and riding habits, what chance to safe responsible riders have in a society that already has us labeled as delinquents.

So you approve of a dealer selling a Busa or a liter sport bike to a first time rider who may or may not have his MC license? there's not a law against it... but common sense would urge against it.

I mean I'm sorry... but my insurance rates are high enough for the simple fact that I'm part of a so called statistic because of dipshits who probably should never be on bikes to begin with. But since no one is holding any sort of responsibility things just continue to fall in a downward spiral...

Do I think an MC license should be required to buy a bike... YES

Do I think dealerships who sell to unlicensed riders should be fined, etc...YES

Do I think that the US should use a tiered licensing system similar if not identical to many European countries... YES...

Is that being a Nazi? NO...

Its trying to create better, safer, more responsible riders.

Okay,now what the fuck does that have to do with the dealer running an ad showing a guy on a slow cruise not wearing gear? Do you really think that the average non-rider looked at that ad and said,"Oh my God look at that delinquent riding without proper gear!" Get the fuck out of here with that bull shit! I'd be with you somewhat if the ad had the guy cracking wheelies down the freeway.

Where in that dealer's ad does it say that he "pushes" larger displacement bikes on newbs? Where in that ad does it say that this dealer will sell bikes to guys without licenses? Who said ANY fucking thing about being against a "tiered licensing system"? All this guy did was take some video of a guy cruising along on a CBR and YOU have started a crusade! If you want to talk about "setting a bad example" how about the fucktards that run the gap at 2-5 times the posted speed limit? Dragging knees on public roads. What kind of public relations is that? You're obviously one of these people who seem to think that the laws YOU break are ok because you are special,you have the required skills and experience the rest of us "squids" lack. Or are you one of these guys who claim the they NEVER break the speed limit on the road? Whatever!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #66
MILK
The cows want you dead.

I don't see what everyone's panties are in such a wad about. The picture does have a disclaimer under it..

Be sure and SUITE your ability!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't make this stuff up!

"DISCLAIMER: Ride at your own risk and always wear the appropriate riding gear to suite your ability, laws and riding circumstances."
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #67
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILK View Post
I don't see what everyone's panties are in such a wad about. The picture does have a disclaimer under it..

Be sure and SUITE your ability!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't make this stuff up!

"DISCLAIMER: Ride at your own risk and always wear the appropriate riding gear to suite your ability, laws and riding circumstances."
Oh geez, it was bad enough in the ad, now he's done it in the disclaimer??!! I want to go on a crusade against bad spelling and improper word form usage!

And using too much punctuation to make a point!!!!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #68
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Oh geez, it was bad enough in the ad, now he's done it in the disclaimer??!! I want to go on a crusade against bad spelling and improper word form usage!

And using too much punctuation to make a point!!!!
Whew! I thought Momma was gonna spank there for a minute when I saw you name in the replies.....
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #69
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Whew! I thought Momma was gonna spank there for a minute when I saw you name in the replies.....
Thats good! Points for making me laugh today!

As long as ya'll play mostly nice, Momma wont hand out corporal punishment!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote