Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Around the World > Northeast Riders

Old 03-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
deals gap dragon slayer
Addicted to Track

Moto: 2007 Kawi ZX-10R
Default Trackdays around DC???

OK so my dad lives just outside of DC and we're planning to come visit him... I for one, can't handle any length of time without riding.. So I'm bringing my bike too. I figured what better wya to get my fix while on vacation than to make a visit to one of the tracks out there and have some fun. We don't have any time frame set yet so scheduling isnt really an issue... jsut need info on any tracks or track day orgs that operate in the area...

Thanks in Advance..
deals gap dragon slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
tommymac
Moto GP Star

For orgs yo uhave TPM, NESBA, Absolute, and STT off the top of my head. From DC you have some good and close choices with summit point and NJMP rather close, VIR is prolly around 5 hrs away and beaver run is prolly about 6 or 7.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
deals gap dragon slayer
Addicted to Track

Thanks Tommy... any preference on which org to go with? I'd like to ride VIR but Summit is alot closer so it would probably be there
Old 03-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by deals gap dragon slayer View Post
Thanks Tommy... any preference on which org to go with? I'd like to ride VIR but Summit is alot closer so it would probably be there
I have ridden primarily with tpm, some BS politics and they do nitpick some stuff but as for the TD itself I always thought they put on a good safe day. STT I know nothing about so I couldnt comment. Nesba can be a bit clicky and some of their passing rules are a bit cheesey. Their groups do seem to be much faster than TPM's. With TPm I am a slow to mid pack intermediate rider. With NESBA I would prolly be a fast beginner guy.

Been hearing alot of good things about absolute too but I think their days are limited to NJMP, which is a track worth checking out esp since the ama is running there this year. Just make sure its the thunderbolt course. Lightning is a faster less technical track. gets annoying with the guys on th eliter bikes killing you in the straights but then reeling them in and passing them back in the turns.

Tom
Old 03-23-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
deals gap dragon slayer
Addicted to Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
sure its the thunderbolt course. Lightning is a faster less technical track. gets annoying with the guys on th eliter bikes killing you in the straights but then reeling them in and passing them back in the turns.

Tom
Thanks for the info... i'm one of the more rare species of liter bike riders that perfers the more technical courses. as far as passing goes, I always give a much wider birth when passing than i have to at track days.. never know what the other guy will do... first track day i went to this year a guy tried to pass on the inside when he thought another rider was going wide... the rider in front turned in late to change try a different line and the rider behind tboned him and broke his femur
Old 03-23-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by deals gap dragon slayer View Post
Thanks for the info... i'm one of the more rare species of liter bike riders that perfers the more technical courses. as far as passing goes, I always give a much wider birth when passing than i have to at track days.. never know what the other guy will do... first track day i went to this year a guy tried to pass on the inside when he thought another rider was going wide... the rider in front turned in late to change try a different line and the rider behind tboned him and broke his femur
Ouch that doesnt sound good. The orgs I listed are all relativeley safe and the coaches are prety good at weeding out the knuckleheads and keeping them in line ot prevent things like that.

If you like technical stuff, thunderbolt is good, kinda technical but also rather fast, with vir you can run patriot which is more or less the tight parts of north and south combined. I prefer south over north though. At summit I love the main course, kinda fast but has some technical spots too. Shenendoah is very tight but that track scares me with serious lack of runoff in some areas. Others love it but I will pass on it. Jefferson is also a short course there not too fast but has a few technical spots, not many people like it and not too many orgs run it.

Tom