Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Old 10-11-2008, 12:04 AM   #21
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
see when i said yzf, i meant 97 yzf the thunderace was arguably the last of the old school 1000s after the fireblade changed all the rules
And a sweet one at that.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:23 PM   #22
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

If you'd consider stretching the definition of "sport" just a bit....to include a bit more power and a bit less sport...for your touring needs, consider a M109-R....I've done several 400 mile+ days through the twisties and come away none the worse for the wear.

It's a fantastic bike....IMHO, of course.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #23
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

I have a 2003 Hayabusa that I use for sport-touring duties. It's decked out with hard bags, GPS, XM, Throttlemeisters, ZG ST windscreen. I've got about 52,000 miles on it, 46 states under her belt, and I've never had a problem with any kind of vibration at any rpm. I don't leave it at 4500 rpm either though. The *super* sweet spot is about 5100 rpm. Unfortunately, in 6th gear, that also translates to about 95.
G-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #24
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Of those listed, the ZX-11 is a hell of a touring mount, comfortable as hell with some nice power to stomp out some long mileage. The wheelbase and weight make for some smooth cruising on rougher roads and against crosswinds. The little lockable storage compartment is good for a wallet, some cash, or other small bits and pieces, and it'll take to soft bags without fuss. The centerstand is also nice to have, especially on a touring setup.

Also along those lines, the ZZR1200 is essentially a mild evolution of the ZX-11, but more geared towards the touring.

A Thunderace would be an excellent bike, though I'm not sure it'd be so hot as a tourer. Their range is a little weak, and they're thirsty beasts. On top of that, I have yet to come across one that hasn't been beat to death by the owner, time, or a combo of the two. The bike is rare enough as it is, but a clean example that is for sale is a truly rare find.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #25
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
The Busa has a mean vibration around 4,500.

Not sure what busa YOU rode...but none I've ridden had ANY vibration....mine certainly didn't

As a matter of fact here's what I've owned (supertouring bikes) in order

Rode the Blackbird to Key west from NC

Rode the Beemer to canada from NC

Rode the Busa to mexico from NC

The busa did the best...was the most comfortible, and overall best bike for any kind of riding with miles of hiway.

never a vibration no matter what speed or HOW it was loaded down
CasterTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:55 PM   #26
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

The one bike here, that I forgot to mention earlier, and am SHOCKED to see left out of the list, is the old VFR 750's of the 90's which came with gear drive cams, a rock solid design and dependability of unspoken levels, plus comfort to accomodate LONG ASS rides. I think they looked a fair bit newer than they were too, which was another point in their favor. I'd love a mid 90's VFR 750 for a sport touring toy. V4 torque, no cam chain tensioners, famed Honda dependability, really not much of a down side.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #27
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

I'll give you one big downside. The VFR has a noticeable lack of power from the bigger sport-tourers. My best friend that tours with me has a VFR800, and on occasion we will switch, and I can definitely notice the power difference from my Busa.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #28
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

I think you're delusional, G-Rex. The VFR is down on power, huh? Come on over this way and we'll swap bikes for a while. You'll get to see what "down on power" really means
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #29
CasterTroy

bill you realize thats trace right?
CasterTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:56 PM   #30
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

I know. I think he's spent too much time on that damn busa if he says the VFR is down on power. Of COURSE it's down on power compared to a busa. Every vehicle on the planet is down on power compared to a busa
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote