Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750
Default Seeking other viewpoints about used cars

I'm in the market for a car. I can't afford to out right pay for one, so I have to finance part of it. I stopped by a few dealers yesterday to see what they have and to get a "test drive" of how the dealers themselves act. They did not disappoint.

I initially wanted something for $5-8k with 100k or less miles. None doing. I upped the anti to $10k.. now I start seeing 60-90k mileage with mostly '06-'08 cars. This seems like a rip off, but I'm not seeing much else for cheaper; and Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans last a long time.

Also, one of the dealers made a good pitch at an '11 Mazda 3 with 43k miles. It's still under factory warranty for another 20k miles or so. The problem is it costs $14k. Now, consumer reports has no grudge against this thing and it would last me for quite a while. My Uncle has an '07 and loves it. My grandpa and dad say go for it. I think it's too expensive, but I know it would be reliable. But, an '06 Corolla also seems reliable.. and it's ~$4k cheaper.

Has anyone else played the used car market recently, or has an otherwise useful opinion? I don't expect you to have all the answers. I'm just trying to form a realistic outlook of what's really out there and what I want to do.

Last edited by njchopper87; 11-26-2012 at 12:56 PM..
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote