Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 03-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750
Default Hummer may end up with spooge all over the place

Atlanta, Georgia (CNN) -- Love it or hate it, the Hummer came to symbolize American might over the years -- tires the size of Texas, a chrome grill that looked primed to eat up wimpy cars in its path, and its drivers with egos to match their mammoth-mobiles.

But the iconic vehicle -- a symbol for macho men like Arnold Schwarzenegger and ridiculed worldwide by environmentalists -- is headed toward the auto graveyard.

General Motors last week announced the likely end of the Hummer after a deal with a Chinese automaker fell through. The news thrilled many who have protested the guzzler for years: Good riddance!

But for Hummer owners, the reaction remains mixed. Most mourn the impending death of their beloved behemoths but celebrate the fact that the Hummer won't be outsourced to China: Whose harebrained idea was that anyway?! Ain't no Hummer meant to be made in China!

Owners are hoping for a last-minute buyer to emerge before the Hummer joins the maligned Pinto in the scrapyard. GM has said it is trying to salvage the Hummer, setting May 1 as a deadline for other possible deals to be made.

A single sticky note, left on Russ Builta's 2005 Hummer, sums up the emotion stirred by the super-sized SUVs. "You are polluting our air and abusing our national resources," the unsigned note said. "And all because of greed and selfishness. You should be very ashamed of yourself."

Builta, who served in the Marine Corps, still gets mad: "It was not even on recycled paper!"

Builta installed a supercharger that gave his Hummer a whopping 600 horsepower. When he really mashed the pedal, it got 1 mile per gallon. "It would just move," he told CNN iReport.

After the HMMWV rolled off the AM General assembly line in Indiana on January 2, 1985, it represented a new breed of American military might and toughness.

In 1992, production of the civilian Hummer began, instantly creating a fraternity among owners of the SUV-on-growth hormone. They exchange photos of their trucks, chat over the Internet and plan for their next muddin' sessions.

They laugh at tree huggers who give them the finger as they cruise down the road.

"I hate to see it die," says iReporter Michael Tawdy of Tennessee, who owns a 2006 H3. "You can go anywhere you want."

The Hummer even shares its name with a sexual term. How many cars can stake that claim? And the vehicle became fodder for late-night comedians and Internet jokes.

"You might be driving a Hummer," says one joke on a Web site devoted to the vehicle, "if you can't reach far enough to slap the person sitting in the passenger seat."

The grass-roots social justice group CodePink created an anti-Hummer campaign during the height of the Bush administration, including a Top Ten Reasons Not To Buy A Hummer. At the top of the list: "The Gas Mileage Alone Will Kill You."

Billy Paniaha of North Carolina gets speechless when talking about his chrome-and-gray-mobile. "I love my Hummer," he told iReport.

In one photo, he's leaning against his mud-caked Hummer, which looks like it just wallowed in a pigpen. "Trust me, these tree huggers in their Priuses. ... If a Prius hits me, I won't get hurt. They will."

Raymond Winbush isn't your ordinary Hummer owner. A lover of his giant SUV, he also owns -- are you ready for this? -- a Toyota Prius.

"People think I'm kidding when I say I have both cars, but I do," said Winbush, an author and the director of the Institute for Urban Research at Morgan State University.

"If you combine my carbon footprint ... I don't feel real guilty about it."

A resident of Baltimore, Maryland, he uses the Hummer to get through the East Coast's brutal winters. During last month's storm, which left the region under a couple of feet of snow, he helped get doctors and nurses to and from a hospital, thanks to his Hummer.

When winter ends, his machismo-meter goes down. He grabs his man purse and hops into his Prius. "My son calls it the nerd-mobile," he said. "I've had more people razz me about the Prius than I have the Hummer."

"It's my yin and yang. I think they balance each other out."

Candi Angotti of Texas is just the opposite. She wouldn't be caught dead in a Prius.

The president of the Texas chapter of Club Hummer Offroad, she's been driving her solar-flare metallic orange Hummer for three years.

"I use it what it was built for -- off-roading and adventures -- and it has never let me down," she said. "I have met a great group of guys and girls, and we're like a big family."

See Texas woman catch air in Hummer

The owners now have one more thing in common: They're sporting a likely collector's item. But Builta's the exception. He got rid of his Hummer. And he still misses it.

CNN's Christina Zdanowicz contributed to this report.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

I've never owned one but hate to see it go...but I feel that way for most any vehicle that gets the axe

I understand why it may get the axe.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

I never saw the point to that brand, not in the later years anyway. Rebranded chevys with an ugly bodykit trying to be jeeps. Imagine what would have happened if lambo/chrysler won that contract.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
Rider
Moto GP Star

I can't say that I will ever miss it.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I never saw the point to that brand, not in the later years anyway. Rebranded chevys with an ugly bodykit trying to be jeeps. Imagine what would have happened if lambo/chrysler won that contract.
plus 0n3
they aren't hummers, they are Colarados/Canyons and Tahoes with fancy body kits.

No different than the Mera Fiero.

Last edited by karl_1052; 03-04-2010 at 01:10 PM..
karl_1052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
z06boy
Letzroll

Well they definitely aren't like the original but still hate to see them get completely axed...felt that way about Pontiac and Olds too and never owned one of them either.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
Homeslice
Elitist

Well the H1 was a real Hummer, right? It was only the H2 and H3 that were built on SUV chassis.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
z06boy
Letzroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Well the H1 was a real Hummer, right? It was only the H2 and H3 that were built on SUV chassis.
Correct
Old 03-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #9
Homeslice
Elitist

I always liked the H1 interior, it was angled around the driver like a cockpit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2005_Hummer_H1__interior.jpg (45.9 KB, 62 views)
Old 03-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I always liked the H1 interior, it was angled around the driver like a cockpit
you should try the army version. 5'10 and up need not apply
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote