Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr
Default Porsche takes top spot in dependability study

Porsche takes top spot in dependability study
Troubled Toyota slips from No. 3 to No. 5 in influential J.D. Power survey
By Dan Strumpf
The Associated Press
updated 9:42 a.m. ET, Thurs., March. 18, 2010
NEW YORK - Porsche shot to the top of a closely watched study of long-term vehicle dependability, overtaking U.S. and Japanese rivals, J.D. Power and Associates said Thursday.

The German sports car brand took the No. 1 spot in the annual study, which gave it ninth place last year. Lincoln came in second, while Buick and Lexus tied for third. Mercury and Toyota rounded out the top five.

The annual study measures problems experienced by the original owners of vehicles after three years. In last year's study, Buick and Jaguar tied for fewest problems, but both brands lost ground to rivals this year.

Toyota, whose reputation has come under scrutiny in the face of massive recalls, fell two spots from its third-place standing last year. While average vehicle quality across the industry improved from last year's survey, Toyota's quality score fell slightly.

However, the Japanese nameplate still swept four segment awards, more than any other brand. Japanese rival Honda took three segment awards, while Ford Motor Co.'s Lincoln brand took two awards.

The industry average was 155 problems per 100 vehicles, J.D. Power said, or less than two problems per vehicle. That's a decline from 167 problems per 100 vehicles last year.

"The improvements in long-term dependability and component replacement rates are good news for both consumers and manufacturers," said David Sargent, vice president of global vehicle research for J.D. Power, in a statement.

J.D. Power's 2010 dependability study surveyed more than 52,000 original owners of 2007 model-year vehicles between October and December 2009. The results are watched closely by automakers and are often used in advertising. Owners' opinion of a car after three years can be a major influence on their opinion to buy that brand again.

The firm also releases an initial quality study, which measures problems in the first 90 days of ownership. That study usually comes out in June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Rider
Moto GP Star

Surprised, Porsche has never been known for reliability. Cool beans though, I sure do love the 911.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Actually they've gotten good reliability scores for quite some time now

I've never really liked the sound of their engines though.........There's a million Porsches where I live and most of them like shit when they go by
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
The annual study measures problems experienced by the original owners of vehicles after three years.
That is a great study and all, but how much mileage does the average Porsche have after 3 years compared to Hyundai, Ford, Honda, etc?
Old 03-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
pdog
Refugee

Moto: Pimped 2005 SV650

I've owned two Porsches in the last 5 years (2002 Boxster, 2005 Boxster) and both never had any issues. The cost of regular maintenance at the dealership is not for the faint of heart though. Over $200 to change the oil and filter. I did it myself for about $80.
pdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

$80? What kind of oil did you use?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
pdog
Refugee

8L of Mobil 1.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #8
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

I've read the Boxter oil change is a pain in the ass, since the motor is not visible. Half the time you are removing/replacing panels.

I have also heard of nightmare engine problems in early boxters.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
pdog
Refugee

They're wrong. Oil changes are simple. The oil and coolant caps are easily accessible in the trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
I've read the Boxter oil change is a pain in the ass, since the motor is not visible. Half the time you are removing/replacing panels.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #10
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog View Post
They're wrong. Oil changes are simple. The oil and coolant caps are easily accessible in the trunk.
What about the drain? is it accessible?

Do you know which years had the motor issues?

I wouldn't mind a Boxster, and they are getting reasonably priced.