Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 06-13-2009, 09:26 PM   #11
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by was92v View Post
Yeah, I mean except for maybe a couple of WERA racers over the years, I'm sure the rest aren't AMA caliber. I mean who's even heard of any WERA racers except for maybe Kevin Schwantz or Scott Russell or Kurt Hall or Trey Batey or Grant Lopez or Nicky & Tommy Hayden or Rich Oliver or .. well, the rest of a very long list.
Okay did I inadvertently offend someone yet again? I don't care who you eventually grew up to be, at one time every one of those guys were "snot nosed newbies" and may not have had the frame of mind to know when to quit. That's all. Yeesh. It's getting that I can't pick up a keyboard without someone getting offended.

In "entry level" racing, I can see some 16 year old kid with more balls than brains, spreading oil all over the track after a crash. Obviously, you have to make a rule that covers the entire class... Simple. Fuck, I can't even figure out if you're for it or against it. Are you saying that because WERA has such a rule, that it's appropriate for the AMA to have it too? Maybe it should be standard in MotoGp as well...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:48 PM   #12
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Even after the ride through and tech inspection? Wow!
No, I was saying we don't have that rule in our series.

Quote:
Daytona is a long race. Crash in a sprint race and you may as well pack it in.
This was in a CCS sprint race AT Daytona, not an AMA event.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:41 AM   #13
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
No, I was saying we don't have that rule in our series.

This was in a CCS sprint race AT Daytona, not an AMA event.
Oh I see, well that is WAY more probable!!! I was like fucking WOW crash and ride through and still finish well! Honestly, I don't know why they even go back out.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #14
was92v
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Oh I see, well that is WAY more probable!!! I was like fucking WOW crash and ride through and still finish well! Honestly, I don't know why they even go back out.
The WERA thing was (now, idk?) If the bike can be ridden back to pit lane without riding the race line, they would give it a quick look over on pit road and send you back out if it was OK. If it was late in the race you are not likely to win, but a points position is better than a DNF. Some points is better than no points. Winning is just more points, almost
For some reason a lot of people tend to push harder after a crash anyway. For me it was that I'm pissed off at myself for crashing or whatever it was that caused a delay in getting to the front or keeping the lead and I would try that much harder to make up for my mistake.
A lot of crashing is possible without ever hitting the ground..

As far as Daytona and NASCAR uh, I mean AMA Pro racing, there are about 15 pro racers in the field. The other 65 are club racers who paid the fee, bought the license and lined up on the grid. The ONLY Pro road racing in the US is when the MotoGP lands in the country and they will be lucky to grid 20 bikes.

Many "Club" racers choose to not race with the AMA (I was one of them) not because they can't compete with the riders in that series, but because the AMA treats their riders like shit and the organization is a cluster fuck.

As bad as AMA racing was (NOT THE RIDERS, the AMA)...
Rolling starts, full course yellows and pace cars is car racing using motorcycles. The DMG/AMA Daytona race this year was embarrassing to even watch. If all they want is a US/North American series with totally different race procedures then the rest of the world, they got it.
My concern is that it will be one more nail in the coffin of US riders who want and need to progress to the World stage. US riders already have a slim chance of ever being able to move up to WSB or MGP and I'm afraid this may throw another road block in the way by making the "Racing" look bad and reflect on the riders who have no say in the procedures that produce a screwed up show.
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:33 PM   #15
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Oh okay, sorry if there was a misunderstanding. I understand what you mean about crashing and trying harder!
Old 06-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #16
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
The WERA thing was (now, idk?) If the bike can be ridden back to pit lane without riding the race line, they would give it a quick look over on pit road and send you back out if it was OK. If it was late in the race you are not likely to win, but a points position is better than a DNF. Some points is better than no points. Winning is just more points, almost
For some reason a lot of people tend to push harder after a crash anyway. For me it was that I'm pissed off at myself for crashing or whatever it was that caused a delay in getting to the front or keeping the lead and I would try that much harder to make up for my mistake.
A lot of crashing is possible without ever hitting the ground..

As far as Daytona and NASCAR uh, I mean AMA Pro racing, there are about 15 pro racers in the field. The other 65 are club racers who paid the fee, bought the license and lined up on the grid. The ONLY Pro road racing in the US is when the MotoGP lands in the country and they will be lucky to grid 20 bikes.

Many "Club" racers choose to not race with the AMA (I was one of them) not because they can't compete with the riders in that series, but because the AMA treats their riders like shit and the organization is a cluster fuck.

As bad as AMA racing was (NOT THE RIDERS, the AMA)...
Rolling starts, full course yellows and pace cars is car racing using motorcycles. The DMG/AMA Daytona race this year was embarrassing to even watch. If all they want is a US/North American series with totally different race procedures then the rest of the world, they got it.
My concern is that it will be one more nail in the coffin of US riders who want and need to progress to the World stage. US riders already have a slim chance of ever being able to move up to WSB or MGP and I'm afraid this may throw another road block in the way by making the "Racing" look bad and reflect on the riders who have no say in the procedures that produce a screwed up show.
Great post, and right the fuck on.

I was a racer, a corner worker, and eventually a Race Director (complete with rules committee duties...God just shoot me now...) for a nationally sanctioned road racing organization, that shall remain nameless.

As a racer, I hated the bars down/re-tech rule. I could have a 5 mph fall over in the kitty litter, and my race was over. Not happy.

As a corner worker, I once had a guy swear his bike was ok after a high-side, until I pointed out his chain had come off. That guy went on to become an AMA champion. Point being, even the most experienced racers can suffer from Red Mist Syndrome.

As a Race Director, my feelings were mixed. When you're in that position your primary goal is safety, your secondary goal is good racing. These two goals are difficult to combine, and no matter what you do, somebody is going to hate you.

In a perfect world, all the corner captains would have tech authority, and could send you on your way.

JC