Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Model Reviews

Old 11-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...
Default 2001 Suzuki TL1000R vs. 2002 Honda CBR 954RR... another biased comparison.

I'm going to try to set this up like the Buell/Honda comparo I did a while ago...

Presence - Winner - TLR
Being a streetfighter guy, I think both of these bikes could use a good amount of Dremeling and some rattle can flat black paint... however, I can honestly say that the CBR probably just looks better. It's got harder lines and looks faster than the TLR. Now, there's nothing that OSP likes more than a chick with a nice fat ass... really, I do. The thing is, I am not too keen on a bike with a fat ass... and the TLR's rockin' some Oprah sized booty. Too much.

I will say this for the TLR though... the exhaust looks hot from the rear.

Now, part of presence is obviously sound. No comparison. The CBR sounds really fast, but the TLR sounds really PISSED OFF. The Yosh pipes really set it off and let that V-twin sing... Such a glorious tune it is. Simply from pure sound alone the TLR wins with overall presence.

Ergonomics - Winner - TLR
I was very surprised by the CBR in terms of comfort. Riding from Colorado Springs into NM, then over to Deal's Gap within 5 days certainly didn't sound like a good idea on that bike, but I'll be damned if it was pretty comfortable.

On the other hand the TLR just seems to fit me better. The seat to bar distance feels longer and the pegs don't feel so close to the seat. Overall, I just feel more stretched out on the TLR. The riding position in general feels more relaxed, but I've only put about 80 miles on it so it's hard to say how it will feel for the long haul.

It's worth noting as well that the CBR's seat is like a wrapped up hunk of concrete, but the TLR's is a little more plush. Again though, without putting a ton of miles on it, it's hard to say with any certainty... for now, the TLR is more comfortable.

Handling - Winner - TLR
Really it's not a fair comparison here. The CBR's fork seal started leaking before I even made it to The Gap, so I never got a true read for how well it should have handled. Combine that with the factory squared rear tire and the CBR was fighting a losing battle. I can say with certain confidence that the CBR would have been a great handling machine in prime condition... it was plenty capable even with it's issues.

To be fair, I don't really have enough time on the TLR to really support this, but I think it seems like a much more stable machine in the turns. It turns in quick enough, but just locks into a line like a pitbull on a toddler. When I first got onto the on ramp after acquiring the TLR I turned in and thought to myself, "This will certainly be the machine I first drag knee with." Very confidence inspiring.

Drivetrain - Winner - CBR
In reality, both the CBR and the TLR have slick shifting gearboxes that just scream high quality... The CBR just seems to shift a little easier, but that could simply be my lack of miles on the TLR.

Another difference comes with driveline lash. Both bikes suffer from it, but the TLR seems to handle it a little better. Again though, maybe it's just my inexperience with this bike.

In the event that more miles changes any of these thoughts, I'll be sure to update this thread.

Engine - Winner - TLR
Man, how drastically different these bikes are. When I first rode the TLR, it felt really, really SLOW... As much as it pains me to admit it, I was growing fond of the top end rush that the I4 provides. That being said, 10 minutes later I was over that shit and had a rock hard erection for the V-Twin.

I feel pretty confident that if I put the TLR on a diet and do a little tweaking, I won't miss the 15HP deficit the Honda creates. That being said, the damn TLR just sings and pulls like someone's sticking red hot razor blades up it's tailpipe. Me likey.

Overall - Winner - TLR
Damn it feels good to be back on a V-twin. The torque, the wicked vibrations, the SOUND... All motorcycles should be V-twins... or at least all motorcycle riders should at least experience a V-twin at some point in time. Best street machines ever conceived.

The TLR seems to fit me better in just about every way over the CBR... physically and more importantly, emotionally. This may be a motorcycle that I have to keep forever.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I love your biased comparo's. I also love Vtwins...so... But I have a hard time believing the CBR is out handled by the TLR. But...I've never ridden a CBR.

VTWIN FTMFW!

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I love your biased comparo's. I also love Vtwins...so... But I have a hard time believing the CBR is out handled by the TLR. But...I've never ridden a CBR.

VTWIN FTMFW!
Yeah, I'd be interested in riding another 954 to see the difference... you know, one with fork oil and good tires.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
Ninjakel
Post whorette

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600-

congrats! TLR's are awesome!!!

--Ron Burgundy--
Anchorman
Ninjakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #5
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

I'm really glad that you like it buddy! I wish you could have given the SV1000 a try tho'. I've ridden both and I really liked the more "standard" feel of the SV,I've never been a big fan of the radial shock.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Yeah, I'd be interested in riding another 954 to see the difference... you know, one with fork oil and good tires.
come north sometime im glad you found a bike that fits you better bro
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I'm really glad that you like it buddy! I wish you could have given the SV1000 a try tho'. I've ridden both and I really liked the more "standard" feel of the SV,I've never been a big fan of the radial shock.
I was actually going to meet up with a guy this weekend who had an '03 SV1k... the non-faired one... Had that guy not blown me off until tomorrow it may have been a different story. I was honestly considering holding out until I got to check out the SV, but after I rode the TLR it was over... I was sold.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #8
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Dude... seroiusly... I don't even have to read the comparo... v-twins will always win!!

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:46 PM   #9
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Dude... seroiusly... I don't even have to read the comparo... v-twins will always win!!
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and agree with this statement.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:14 PM   #10
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
hang on a sec, my eyes got stuck at the top mid roll
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote