Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Model Reviews

Old 05-15-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
wideopen1
Trailer Queen

Default 2005 ZX10 vs 2007 ZX10

I've got both bikes sitting in my garage right now, they are both mine. I bought the 2007 new and I just recently bought this 2005 because I don't like much about the 2007.
I had a 2004 back when these bikes first came out. I loved the bike, other than the fact that it had the shifting problem that SOME of the early builds had. It was very hard to shift at full power, I mean many times I'd have to try 2 or 3 times to go from 1st to 2nd under hard power. This got to the point where I was going home from the track with a bloody toe on my left foot and nearly a hole worn in my boot. It really made me mad, and how did I fix it? I sold the damn bike and bought an 07.
The 07 is a pig...it's a softly suspended, top heavy, homely pig. I thought i liked the dual exhaust, but I really grew to hate it, especially once I found out the cost to replace them. The front end is ugly, the headlights I mean. When you're sitting on the bike it looks like 6 feet from the tank to the windscreen which drives me nuts. And you don't sit ON this bike, you sit IN it. That's not desirable at the track.
As far as engines, the 07 is a bit smoother and revs a little quicker, but doesn't feel like it pulls quite as hard. Could be the 15-20 lbs of extra weight this bike carries over my 05 model. And most of that extra weight must be up high, cause this thing is top heavy like I really can't believe.
07 shifts better, slightly. I bought the 05 because the tranny was revised over the 04 to fix the shifting problem I spoke of, and this one does shift better.
Vibration on both is about the same, but the 05 is easier to ride long distance, which we do sometimes. It puts less weight on the wrists.
In summary, the 05 feels like a GP bike, the 07 feels like a highly modified cruiser. I'm a racer, I've had both bikes to the track, and that's my opinion.
I think Kawasaki went VERY wrong in terms of the ZX10 in 2006 and 2007. I can find quite a few guys to agree with me too. Sorry if I offend anyone.
wideopen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

I think most would agree with your assessment
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Does any of that sound familar tached?
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
Does any of that sound familar tached?
It sure does, now go massage hubby's toe lol....
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
wideopen1
Trailer Queen

Hmmm......if I didn't know better, I'd say you guys have talked about this subject before
Old 05-16-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

No way!!! That was 4 bikes ago. He has had plenty of time to recover.

Yes, we have talked about this before.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

No problem with mine.

Don't understand the top heavy problem, my bike sits next to an 05 GSXR750 that can be a bitch to get off the kickstand. You can push mine completely over with your pinky.

Only wieght reduction I have is a single can exhaust(which was $200 used) that replaced my stock system up to the headers. But how much do you expect to pay when upgrading dual undertails? Have you priced R1 or Ducati exhausts lately? But I can agree the plastic and look of the bike is a tad bulky, it doesn't feel horrible to me, but it wouldnt be my choice of racebike.
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #8
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

yeah, the 04/05 handled a lot better than the 06/07 and the new one is ugly as hell but handles better then the 06/07 too. I just don't like the power of the new one. not enough on the bottom end. it's been a while since I rode a Gen 1 so don't remember the power it had.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
wideopen1
Trailer Queen

I ALMOST bought an 08, cause at the time they were almost giving them away. But my God it's really ugly!! I mean it is really ugly in person and even my wife said so. So instead, I decided to go with what I knew I liked which was this 05.
I hear guys are winning races right and left on the 08 model, does anyone know if this is true? I've not actually raced for a few years now and don't keep up on it like I used to.
I don't ever remember reading anywhere that that the 06/07 was a bad handling bike back when it came out, but I sure don't get along very well with mine. A guy is supposed to come and get it tomorrow....says he has the money. I been trying a good many weeks to sell it. Hopefully he shows up.
I plan on getting this 05 dynoed as it is. My 04 dynoed at just short of 159 HP. I'm sure this 05 is somewhere around there too. I think the 07 probably has a couple more than that, but it's more evenly spread. Seems to have a bit more grunt than the 05, but doesn't bust out on top like the 04/05, and that's what I like.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #10
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideopen1 View Post
I ALMOST bought an 08, cause at the time they were almost giving them away. But my God it's really ugly!! I mean it is really ugly in person and even my wife said so. So instead, I decided to go with what I knew I liked which was this 05.
I hear guys are winning races right and left on the 08 model, does anyone know if this is true? I've not actually raced for a few years now and don't keep up on it like I used to.
I don't ever remember reading anywhere that that the 06/07 was a bad handling bike back when it came out, but I sure don't get along very well with mine. A guy is supposed to come and get it tomorrow....says he has the money. I been trying a good many weeks to sell it. Hopefully he shows up.
I plan on getting this 05 dynoed as it is. My 04 dynoed at just short of 159 HP. I'm sure this 05 is somewhere around there too. I think the 07 probably has a couple more than that, but it's more evenly spread. Seems to have a bit more grunt than the 05, but doesn't bust out on top like the 04/05, and that's what I like.
LOL the only people winning on Kawasaki's ride dirt. Seriously, some guys might be winning at the local race club level, but the only professional I see near the podium on a Kawasaki is Hacking, and he's on a ZX6R.

The 3rd gen is an ok looking bike in track skins(removed lights) but ya it looks like a bugeye'd freak in street trim.
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote