Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 05-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage
Default I think its dying.... : (

I have a bad feeling my vf just took its last breath. But the circumstances seem extremely weird.

I got off work yesterday evening and decided to get out for a quick jaunt since it was so nice out. I only expected to be out for about a half hour and get some gas. Bike ran great, and got to the gas station. Filled her up with fresh 89. Started up fine, and rode for another 8 minutes or so. I made a left hand turn onto the country road that leads like 5 miles to my house, and the bike didn't react to the throttle and died (ironically in the parking lot of a shut down Harley bar. ) Hit the starter, bike wouldnt take. Put the choke on, hit the starter, bike wouldn't take. I started to wear the battery down, so I called my buddy to help me push start it. I've push started this bike a million times, so I know what feels right and what doesn't. On the very first push I knew something wasn't right. It almost feels like the motor or tranny is seized. When he dumped the clutch, instead of rolling the motor over, the rear wheel just locks and slides. But I rolled into the parking lot on both engine and in gear???

I'm just so fu**ing confused, tired, and pissed. I almost want to sell the bike right now and wash my hands of it. I love the 500 to death and would love to buy a mint model down the line, but this bike is such a hassle. I didn't end up having "deep enough credit" to get the gsx650f, even though I have a 710 something credit score. Credit is fucking retarded. I dont know what to do....
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Put it on a charger overnight, then remove the plugs and turn the engine over to make sure its not hydrolocked with bad fuel. Then try again with some 91 non ethanol fuel.

My first thought is bad fuel, only because you rode there fine, filled up then it died. The 8 minutes you rode is just enough time to drain the good fuel from your fuel line and carbs.

It could have locked the rear for any number of reasons, one being that the carb was still dumping some fuel in the motor after it died.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 05-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

This definitely sounds like a classic case of bad fuel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Put it on a charger overnight, then remove the plugs and turn the engine over to make sure its not hydrolocked with bad fuel. Then try again with some 91 non ethanol fuel.

My first thought is bad fuel, only because you rode there fine, filled up then it died. The 8 minutes you rode is just enough time to drain the good fuel from your fuel line and carbs.

It could have locked the rear for any number of reasons, one being that the carb was still dumping some fuel in the motor after it died.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Thanks! When I get it home, I will definitely get it on the charger. Unfortunately the poor girl gets to spend her second night in the back lot of a church.... in the pouring rain. Work all day and noone to help with a truck leaves me with no option. Tomorrow morning i will have my brother slowly tow me home with a tow line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
This definitely sounds like a classic case of bad fuel.
Effing arab owned Sunoco.....
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Old 05-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Thanks! When I get it home, I will definitely get it on the charger. Unfortunately the poor girl gets to spend her second night in the back lot of a church.... in the pouring rain. Work all day and noone to help with a truck leaves me with no option. Tomorrow morning i will have my brother slowly tow me home with a tow line.

Effing arab owned Sunoco.....

Happened to me twice this year (seems to be happening more lately), once on the KLR coming home from riding the BRP in october, and once in CT. Both times I was lucky enough that the bike sorta ran, as well as a bike can run under 2500rpm anyway. Both times I limped to a gas station, dumped fuel and filled up fresh, problem gone.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #6
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Did you run your petcock on "reserve"? Water is more dense than gas, so it sinks to the bottom of the tank. The reserve stem inside the tank is on the bottom, while the main stem is a couple inches higher and will draw gas instead of water. I think they still sell "Dry Gas" an alcohol that mixes with the water and burns it.

For hydrolock, one or more float needle/seats has to be dumping raw fuel into a cylinder and that usually happens when the bike sits for a while and the petcock is messed up or left in the "prime" position.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:54 AM   #7
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Sometimes when you fill up you will end up with a good amount of water making the engine stall.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:47 AM   #8
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Hydrolock = teh suck
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

Seafoam

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #10
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Did you run your petcock on "reserve"? Water is more dense than gas, so it sinks to the bottom of the tank. The reserve stem inside the tank is on the bottom, while the main stem is a couple inches higher and will draw gas instead of water. I think they still sell "Dry Gas" an alcohol that mixes with the water and burns it.

For hydrolock, one or more float needle/seats has to be dumping raw fuel into a cylinder and that usually happens when the bike sits for a while and the petcock is messed up or left in the "prime" position.

Nope, bike was running in the on fuel position. I wasnt even that low on gas, I just wanted to fill up.

Still havnt gotten her back home. The popo called today to see if my bike was stolen, because the church called them concerned. My brother just laughed and told them my bike is broken. I might walk it home tonight, like 3 miles... cause my friend is being a douche about using his truck.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold