Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Manufacturer War

Old 12-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

How about we start by overhauling our education system, so we go back to being the best at making and designing stuff (not necessarily cars and whatnot, either).

I've got a bit of experience hunting for technical/customer support folks, both inside and outside the US. Just as a couple of examples, I've had one center in Dallas, and another in India. The Dallas site was plagued with terrible grammar and spelling, and an awful work ethic. And it was freakin' expensive to boot. The India site has its issues for sure, but the language skills are surprisingly decent, absenteeism is low, and the cost is much, much less. I'm all about keeping jobs in the US, but unless we can get competitive again in the world labor market, we're going to keep missing out on jobs.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
pickle.of.doom
el diablo de verde

Moto: VTR, CBR, DRZSM

Dude imagine how many snowmobiles those mexicans are going to buy now though.....

.. oh wait

they don't know what snow is...

WOS Forums
pickle.of.doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:43 AM   #3
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle.of.doom View Post
Dude imagine how many snowmobiles those mexicans are going to buy now though.....

.. oh wait

they don't know what snow is...
Whatever, and I guess that Polaris only makes snowmoblies...DUH! besides, who cares what the product is really? That's not the point. Foreign companies make a myriad of products I'm sure their workers have no idea what they are for... I've actually often wondered what Chinese workers must think about us while they are producing our junk.

I only have two points;

1. If we want American companies to manufacture goods here, we have to be economically feasible. We can't expect them to stay here out of some misplaced sense of nationalism or loyalty. it has to make good business sense.

2. If we want American companies to flourish we are going to have to buy their products. Period. If we are all out buying Nissans and Toyotas how in the fuck do you expect GM and Ford to survive? Quite frankly, SM, if you really gave a damn about American companies/jobs you would have told your wife that she was going to have to "make due" with an American car. What's with the SRX?

Now before you all consider me to be a hypocrite, I'm not the one complaining about Polaris... I think they did what they had to to stay in business...simple economics and business.

You can't have it both ways...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Whatever, and I guess that Polaris only makes snowmoblies...
Sure, but who cares about anything other than sleds and bikes

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I only have two points;

1. If we want American companies to manufacture goods here, we have to be economically feasible. We can't expect them to stay here out of some misplaced sense of nationalism or loyalty. it has to make good business sense.

2. If we want American companies to flourish we are going to have to buy their products. Period. If we are all out buying Nissans and Toyotas how in the fuck do you expect GM and Ford to survive? Quite frankly, SM, if you really gave a damn about American companies/jobs you would have told your wife that she was going to have to "make due" with an American car. What's with the SRX?

You can't have it both ways...[/QUOTE]

1. Business sense is not cutting your own throat. Mexicans aint going to be the booming sales market for Polaris products. China isnt gonna be huge in the sales profitability side for GM. And look at the Camaro, assembled in Canada and almost a loss leader for GM. In the meantime fewer sales here because they are contributing to the recession andunemployment rate.

2. The Rogue is assembled here same as the SRX with more features and options for almost 20,000 less. The wife wanted the Caddy but without a better income source than me, who makes less than most union factory workers do, she has to get by with the Rogue...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
I only have two points;

You can't have it both ways...
1. Business sense is not cutting your own throat. Mexicans aint going to be the booming sales market for Polaris products. China isnt gonna be huge in the sales profitability side for GM. And look at the Camaro, assembled in Canada and almost a loss leader for GM. In the meantime fewer sales here because they are contributing to the recession andunemployment rate.

2. The Rogue is assembled here same as the SRX with more features and options for almost 20,000 less. The wife wanted the Caddy but without a better income source than me, who makes less than most union factory workers do, she has to get by with the Rogue...[/QUOTE]

Hahaha! Good enough, that totally goes back to my original point about american companies making products that we'll actually buy as well. This is a problem with many sides to it for sure but to "force" companies to manufacture here even when it makes poor business sense isn't the answer imho.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I never really championed protectionism or isolationism. I am full against the government telling private business what to do.
I do wish the corporations were responible citizens. They should police themselves like hunters should when conserving game. You cant expect to be able to shoot every deer in a season or fish a lake stock out and hope to have anything to harvest next year. Same thing.
i agree with your statement above, and you can't address overhead to fix your corp. profitablility without looking to Sr managements compensation, poor product development, piss poor quality control.

its like cutting off a leg because its using to much blood flow. Cheaper foreign labor will help save you dough, but look at the whole effect to tax tables, infrastructure, ancillary services, ect. Maybe Polaris sees benefits in the short term but why are the struggling to start with? Why is GM? Why is every company outsourcing call centers to the middle east? I think we have alternatives that would benefit us all.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!

Last edited by smileyman; 12-27-2010 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: SP, clarity
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:46 AM   #8
pickle.of.doom
el diablo de verde

Moto: VTR, CBR, DRZSM

Well, maybe its time to give the power to the American scab workers. Whatever the job is, there is probably someone willing to do it for a lot less than the current person is, and it will make it much more feasible for a company to make a profit here.

It worked in Gung Ho

WOS Forums
pickle.of.doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #9
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle.of.doom View Post
Well, maybe its time to give the power to the American scab workers. Whatever the job is, there is probably someone willing to do it for a lot less than the current person is, and it will make it much more feasible for a company to make a profit here.

It worked in Gung Ho
yeah but those are all the illegal mexicans
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Sportsters are made in Kansas. India plant isn't making anything, only assembly. I'm sorry but your information is wrong.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote