Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Dirt

Old 02-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja
Default Old man trail bike question

I live on a partially dirt road, and am near a bunch of undeveloped land.

I wanna get a little putt-around "utility" dirt bike, for me, the GF, and my kid to play and learn on, and ride about...around 100cc (2T).

As I look through the local craigslist, I find myself more attracted to the old-school dual shock arrangement. The truth is, I do want something a little more sedate (perhaps just not as sedate as a 4T...lol).

I know the modern monoshock is a superior layout, but I fear I won't like the dynamics of the bike. I don't think riding a "scissor" is quite the same experience.

Is this just me pining for that old "DT" flavor of my youth?

Should I ignore the soul-less appearance of a modern monoshock, and get something more new school?

My GF is tiny, and so is my kid (little over 5'), so maybe that's why I'm leaning towards the old 2-shock 100cc-class bike. I don't really care that it's a 3/4-size bike for me (5'10"), because it's just for playing around the house, really.

Any thoughts? Anyone in NJ selling something like this?
Old 02-20-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

I'd absolutely go for something with the monoshock. they have SO MUCH better suspension, and handling characteristics overall.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
Thumper996
VTwins and One Lungs rule

Moto: Turning wrenches on my rides

If you are looking for something inexpensive and easy to maintain i would suggest a Big Wheel Honda CR85RB. The Big wheel has 16" rear and 19" front wheel with excellent suspension. If you shop you should be able to find one for $1000 in good condition. You can easily do a top end rebuild for $120 when needed.

These are great little 2 strokes and do well in the woods.

Old school is ok, but the suspension, brakes and carb. are also old school and most likely wore out.

Forget your passion and buy a bike to ride or not and buy an old school and work on it instead of riding it.
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
6doublefive321
Resident Droog

Moto: 625 SMC, '08 Tuono R

If you pick out a bike that is old enough to have twin rear shocks, the bike has other out-dated components also. In the case of a two stroke, this fact means a narrow power band, lots of oil spooge, and lots of carb tinkering. In the case of a four stroke, old means hard to start, little or no power, and just overall crankiness. So, be careful what you look at, as there are other problems that come along with older bikes.

By the way, mono-shock bikes are more stable, lighter, and more forgiving than dual shock bikes. I have ridden both types, and there is NO advantage whatsoever to the old dual shock setup. Unless you are a shock dealer, then they are ok.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6doublefive321 View Post
If you pick out a bike that is old enough to have twin rear shocks, the bike has other out-dated components also. In the case of a two stroke, this fact means a narrow power band, lots of oil spooge, and lots of carb tinkering. In the case of a four stroke, old means hard to start, little or no power, and just overall crankiness. So, be careful what you look at, as there are other problems that come along with older bikes.

By the way, mono-shock bikes are more stable, lighter, and more forgiving than dual shock bikes. I have ridden both types, and there is NO advantage whatsoever to the old dual shock setup. Unless you are a shock dealer, then they are ok.
I'm aware of the whole 2/4 stroke thing. Sorry, I think ALL bikes should be 2T.

The bike I was looking at actually isn't THAT old:

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/mcy/1565812875.html

This, although a 2T, looks like a good beginner bike (again, while I'm no beginner, others in my house are).

My GF is a non-rider and rather a spaz. She'd probably punch a hole in the house with anything much more powerful, like a YZ or CR125...
Old 02-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

2 stroke is GREAT for dirt, and track,but 4 stroke is KING for street ridin IMO.

but 2 strokes are merciless motors from my experience on new riders, where a 4 stroke is superior for newbies to get a good grasp of things then transition to 2 stroke.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
6doublefive321
Resident Droog

You may think I'm crazy, but have you considered a 50cc moped? While goofy looking and usually pieces of crap, I would think they would be great to learn to ride on. Just a thought.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #8
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
2 stroke is GREAT for dirt, and track,but 4 stroke is KING for street ridin IMO.

but 2 strokes are merciless motors from my experience on new riders, where a 4 stroke is superior for newbies to get a good grasp of things then transition to 2 stroke.
LOL right, which is exactly why the 2stroke has gone the way of the dodo bird in both MX and GP racing... Nobody switches to 2.

4-stroke is where it's at - no stupid premix, no constant motor tinkering, better longevity/reliability, colder starting, etc.The level of suspension is solely up to the buyer/riders intended use. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time on even the RT100, but even my style of trail riding is more aggressive than just riding a fence line. But if it works for you, go for it.
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #9
6doublefive321
Resident Droog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYEster View Post
LOL right, which is exactly why the 2stroke has gone the way of the dodo bird in both MX and GP racing... Nobody switches to 2.

4-stroke is where it's at - no stupid premix, no constant motor tinkering, better longevity/reliability, colder starting, etc.The level of suspension is solely up to the buyer/riders intended use. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time on even the RT100, but even my style of trail riding is more aggressive than just riding a fence line. But if it works for you, go for it.
I'm of the opposite opinion. 2t's are easy to work on, cheap to maintain, and a hoot to ride. When I was riding hare scrambles, it cost me a whopping $5 to change the transmission oil every 100 miles. Valve adjustment? What valves! Top end job? About $150. Compare those costs to 4t oil changes, valve adjustments, and God forbid top end, and 2t's win in my book. But, to each his own. 4t's do indeed rule the roost in MX and GP.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:00 PM   #10
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6doublefive321 View Post
You may think I'm crazy, but have you considered a 50cc moped? While goofy looking and usually pieces of crap, I would think they would be great to learn to ride on. Just a thought.
Yeah, but I want something they can learn on, and that I'll want to ride as well...so that's out.

Dude. I live on a [partially] dirt road. A basic dirt bike is like a needed outdoor accessory.