Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Dirt

Old 06-04-2010, 02:50 PM   #11
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

I have my keys, MSO, bill of sale, a Hall's Cycles t-shirt, and some stray reflectors and crap they stripped off.

Now I just need the bike. Right now, all I have is a $9000 t-shirt.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #12
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Sweet! I want me a husky 510SMR real bad...
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #13
jtemple
Geek

The 510s are sweet bikes. I needed something that has longer maintenance intervals and the ability for long-ish highway rides. Otherwise, I probably would have went with the 510 to have something more nimble.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:17 AM   #14
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

I like it! I hope you get it soon.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #15
jtemple
Geek

Snippet from shipper's website:

Quote:
SCHEDULED DELIVERY:06/14 TO 06/25/2010
Old 06-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #16
jtemple
Geek

The bike is delivering today at 3:30PM Central. I'm leaving work early to get it, and taking Friday/Monday off to ride it! I also just spent a truckload of money on new gear.

Shoei Hornet DS Helmet, with smoked shield
Tourmaster Intake Air 2 Jacket
Fox Jersey & Pants
Fly Racing Boots
Fox Gloves
Scott Goggles
SixSixOne Vapor Pressure Suit
Asterisk Knee Braces

Last edited by jtemple; 06-17-2010 at 10:53 AM..
Old 06-17-2010, 02:30 PM   #17
julie j
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: F650GS & XT250

Sounds like a great weekend. Congrats!
julie j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #18
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

you'll love the hornet's visibility... but not the visor above like 45... but your neck will get used to it... but be careful when you pass big trucks going the other way... like construction zones where they're doing 60 at 5' from you... the wind will snap your head back something crazy... fuck'n hurts!

also... make sure all the visor screws are tight... trips came off mid ride! but he's a douchetard
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:14 PM   #19
jtemple
Geek

http://picasaweb.google.com/jesse.temple/HuskyTE630#

Here are a bunch of pics of mine. It delivered yesterday. I've already managed to wander down some unknown gravel roads and get soaked in a thunderstorm on the first night. It was a blast!

The kickstand contacts the swingarm when it flips up. If you look through the pics, you can see the nasty mark it has made. It was there even on the pallet coming off of the truck, so I didn't do it.

Hall's was apologetic and they are looking at a solution on the bike they still have in stock. I stopped him from offering to repair mine, as it's just a scratch, and there are probably plenty more of those to come. To keep it from getting worse, I took the kickstand off, removed the auto-retract nub, and ground off part of the kickstand foot. That gives it about 1/8" clearance from the swingarm as it travels through its arc. There is quite a bit of slop in the kickstand pivot, so I've also put a thin washer between the kickstand and frame at the pivot point in order to tighten it up some.

I have also taken off the passenger pegs, charcoal canister, and mirrors (they aren't required in my state). I might get a little mountain bike mirror or something to put on. I have used those with great success on past bikes, and they're only about $12 a piece.

If anyone knows of a stubby little convex round mirror that will either bolt onto the bars, or even fit into the stock mirror holes, that would be awesome.

Cripes, I have spent WAY too much money lately. I gotta slow down!
Old 06-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #20
jtemple
Geek

Here's a little story about the delivery of my bike...

They were scheduled to deliver it at 3:30. I left work at 2:45 to get home for the delivery. I live about 10-15 minutes away from work. So, there I am, at home, washing my lunch dishes, just waiting around for the delivery. DING! I have an email on my phone. I check it, and it's from Steve at Hall's. I'll paraphrase...

Steve: bike shipper called, they want to schedule delivery but can't get a hold of you

Instant panic. The bike that I've waited so long for might not come today!

DING! I suddenly have two voicemails. My phone never rang. I check them, and it's the truck dispatcher, and the truck driver, trying to contact me. They can't find my house (it's new construction and doesn't show up on GPS systems with old-ish maps).

I try to call the shipper back. My call won't go through. I look at my phone and there's no signal. Normally, I have a full strength signal at my house. I'm getting email on the phone via my wifi connection. I have no land line. If my cell goes out, I can't make phone calls. Great. Queue up the AT&T/iPhone jokes.

I email Steve: my phone has no signal, can you call them for me?

Steve: sure, no problem.

So, Steve is playing the middle man, relaying messages between the shipper and I. I find out where the driver is (about 5 minutes away from my house) and tell them I'm on my way. I found the truck, and had him follow me to my house. YAY!

I've had the bike 24 hours, and already have about 320-350 miles on it. Last night, I rode it to bike night in Sioux City, IA (about 100 miles away). The trip back was late at night, and the route is fairly close to the Missouri River, so I was just coated in bug guts by the time I got home. I've cleaned my gear. The bike is still filthy. I'm going on a mountain bike ride with my sister here in a little bit, so the bike will have to wait. I'm also going to give it its first oil change today or tomorrow. When I break in bikes, I like to run them a little and then make the first oil change nice and early, to clean out any shavings that might be in there.

The oil screen cover is leaking a little oil, leaving about a quarter sized spot on the ground when the bike sits over night. It's probably just not tight enough. I'll address that when I change the oil here in the next day or so.

I also have some condensation inside the gauge cluster. I don't know if that's normal or not.

The bike also seems to die fairly easily, almost as if the idle isn't set high enough, even though the idle is set exactly where it should be (1650 RPM). It might just be because the engine is new and tight. If you're running at fairly high rpms and just pull the clutch, the dip in RPMs goes slightly below idle speed for a second, before coming back up. All of my bikes have done that, so it's normal. However, on this bike, sometimes it's low enough to kill the engine.

I'm still getting used to starting it and holding that "starting device" (that's what the manual calls it :rofl ). It's a little lever above the clutch lever. When you hold it in, the RPMs run slightly higher. My ZX-10R used to just do that automatically. What does that lever do, anyway?

Neutral is tricky to find, but I'm getting the hang of it.