Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #11
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Thanks for the link!

I'll powdercoat it black, so the regular sheet stainless would be sufficient.

I'm in Oklahoma City. It looks like the closest place to me is 90 miles away in Tulsa.

I doubt I have a steady enough hand to cut the metal cleanly with a jigsaw, and I'm a bit OCD about the quality of things I buy/put on my motorcycles.

I think my first order of business is to draw up a couple of templates so I can start getting some quotes. I'm sure with me only wanting a couple, the cost will be up there. I know there are some people on the BMW boards wanting similar, so maybe I can make a few sets to sell and defray the cost.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #12
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Thanks for the link!

I'm in Oklahoma City. It looks like the closest place to me is 90 miles away in Tulsa.

I doubt I have a steady enough hand to cut the metal cleanly with a jigsaw, and I'm a bit OCD about the quality of things I buy/put on my motorcycles.

I think my first order of business is to draw up a couple of templates so I can start getting some quotes. I'm sure with me only wanting a couple, the cost will be up there. I know there are some people on the BMW boards wanting similar, so maybe I can make a few sets to sell and defray the cost.

You're welcome
The parts aren't real big so they could be sent back to you UPS.

The more you get, the less expensive each one will be. It costs "X" to set up so the higher quanity you get, the less expensive each one will be.

If you know somebody who TIG welds near you, you could have them cut as seperate pieces and welded together( instead of bent ). It looks like there is a stiffener added anyway so why not exclude a seperate process out of your costs.

Let's say you decide on 6 sets. Order 12 pices of the main upright, 12 pieces of the top mount and 12 pieces of the stiffener.

Then the welder puts 6 together as shown and 6 pieces opposite hand. ( make sure he knows that up front )

It could be MIG welded but TIG has a much nicer look.

Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #13
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Thanks for the link!

You may need to rethink the KLR purchase then!
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #14
G-Rex
Where to next?

I'm not sure which route I want to go, the more I think about this. I like the brackets I linked the picture of, as they wouldn't require any trimming of plastic.

I do have a set of heavy duty brackets that are off the RT-P bikes, but they will require trimming the dash panel a little. I'm not sure I want to do that, but it would definitely be easier than fabbing brackets. Would for sure help the budget, since the lights I'd like to put on it are around $300 for the pair. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
You may need to rethink the KLR purchase then!
Ass.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #15
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

Cheapest laser cutting I've found anywhere - http://www.southernagilis.com/
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #16
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Ass.
I don't mean the KLR... it's a good bike... just most KLR owners aren't concerned with fit and finish when farkling their moose
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #17
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

You might try checking with Kerry129. He works for a machine shop.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #18
CasterTroy

Tracy I have an extra left (I think) light mount. All you'd have to do is buy the right one for $35 from the RTP boneyard guy in New England.

I guess you don't want to cut holes in the new dash for those mounts?

I looked all over for what you're looking at doing and was going to end up costing me a few $100....so I just got the RTP mounts and rolled with it.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #19
G-Rex
Where to next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
Tracy I have an extra left (I think) light mount. All you'd have to do is buy the right one for $35 from the RTP boneyard guy in New England.

I guess you don't want to cut holes in the new dash for those mounts?

I looked all over for what you're looking at doing and was going to end up costing me a few $100....so I just got the RTP mounts and rolled with it.
Troy, the left you have is the RTP mount? I still have the mounts I took off. The right side is a little scratched up obviouly. LOL

No, I'd rather not cut holes in the dash. After *buying* one, you get a little leary of taking an Xacto knife to it.

Thanks to the interwebs, I found a guy that has made and sells the brackets I'm looking for. He's in Romania. He makes the brackets out of 2mm stainless steel. They look pretty good. Will definitely need to be powdercoated or painted, but they will suit what I want.

Now I'm also researching going HID in the headlamp, for high, low, and the fog lamps. Talk about lighting up the night!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #20
CasterTroy

Yeah it's an RTP mount like what was on there.

I understand....especially after "paying the price"

I'm glad you've got her back up to showroom condition so quick.....I kinda also hate you for it too