Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 05-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
t-homo
WSB Champion

Default Another in the running for a new bike

Luckily for me, my reason for looking for a new bike isn't the same as NtS's. I feel like I am ready to move up from the blast to something bigger. I am looking to spend 3500-4000 for a new bike. I would love to be able to get an 03 600rr or r6, but don't think I will be able to swing that kind of money unless I find a great deal. Right now the prime candidate is a 97 gsxr 750. My neighbor owned it, traded it to his friend for something, and his friend is too afraid to ride it, meaning it has been sitting for the last 8 months. His friend wants to learn to ride though, so I've talked to him some about trading my bike + some cash for his.

Current bike is a 02 buell blast with 2300 miles on it. Scratched up a little bit cuz it was a HD riding course bike for 3 years (explains the low miles.) It has brand new tires on it too.

Bike I am looking at is a 97 gsxr 750 with 35K miles. My neighbor said it will need a new back tire, small dent in the gas tank which can be covered by a tank bag, and some of the decals are starting to come up a little on the front. It has Yoshi exhaust and a yellow windscreen, with a yellow low beam. I don't think there is anything else done to it.

He doesn't know a ton about bikes, so I can convince him the prices are a little different than they really are. My guess is that I will be able to trade him bike bike + 6-7 hundred cash. Sound like a good deal to you guys? Anything I should know about that year/model of bike that you have had experience with?
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Doesn't sound like *too* bad of a deal at all.

So he doesn' tride it cause he's scared? Hrmm. Did he lay it down????

Being able to hook up that deal, get an upgrade, and let go of your old one all at the same time could make things pretty easy for you ,and you'd still have some $$$ left over to upgrade/get gear....
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amblyopic View Post
Doesn't sound like *too* bad of a deal at all.

So he doesn' tride it cause he's scared? Hrmm. Did he lay it down????

Being able to hook up that deal, get an upgrade, and let go of your old one all at the same time could make things pretty easy for you ,and you'd still have some $$$ left over to upgrade/get gear....
No he didn't lay it down. He took off one day, and was too jerky with the throttle and never got out of first gear, ended up going up into someones yard and just hit the brakes and got it stopped. Called my neighbor to come pick it up. His son has ridden it some but not a ton, and hasn't laid it down either.

As far as gear, I am asking for a Teknic 1-piece suit for my b-day on may 22. and teknic gauntlets from my grandma that are only 35. I have JR meteor boots and a exo-400 helmet. I would probably do a little in upgrades, but not a ton for now.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

hell even if you drop a bike in grass its usually all okey dokey.... dont ask me how i know.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
Mrs. Colleen
Leather and Lace

Moto: 2005 R6

My husband rides a 97 GSXR 750. Scares the crap out of me! So much bigger than my bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
hell even if you drop a bike in grass its usually all okey dokey.... dont ask me how i know.
Mrs. Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #6
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Colleen View Post
My husband rides a 97 GSXR 750. Scares the crap out of me! So much bigger than my bike.
How does he like it? Ever had any problems?
Old 05-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #7
Mrs. Colleen
Leather and Lace

Moto: 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
How does he like it? Ever had any problems?
He loves it. He has had his current one for 7 years and before that he had an identical one for 13 months...that one did not make it....

I do not think he has had any major issues with it. He does all the work on it himself...if he has the right tools. I doubt he will ever get rid of that bike. It is worth so much more to him than it will ever be to anyone else.

He is out working on my car right now but I will ask him if there is anything to watch for on that year bike when he get in.
Mrs. Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #8
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

To answer your question; I would do the above, as well as check two other things:

A. Compression test. No doubt you will have lost a bit, but what you are really looking for is the differential between cylinders; you don't want more than 10-12 psi difference between them. Any more than that and it indicates valve and/or ring issues.

B. I would replace the cam chain and tensioner on that motor, as flailing cam chains were about the only problems ever found on high-milage examples of those bikes and you really don't know the level of care it has received.

I would also have the current owner start the bike cold, with you standing off to the side/rear, and watch the exhaust. A blue puff on cold startup indicates oil is leaking down into the cylinder(s) while the bike sits. This is indicative of worn valve guides. Those are about the only things to watch for outside of the norm.
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:08 PM   #9
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Damnit OTB, you ARE the man.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #10
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
It's a good bike, with that many miles it's due a couple valve-checks, if you can get some reciepts for service that'd be a bonus. Also, I would take the bike to a shop and have them check it out, 11 years and 35k miles some things start to wear out. Also, first thing I do with a new bike is change the oil/fluids, you should too.

If I were you, and if you have the cash, I would give the motor and chassis a complete and very thorough tune-up, because 11 years is a long time, and 35k is a significant amount of miles. In this order of importance I would replace the brake fluid/pads on the front, motor tune-up (clean/synch carbs and new plugs), get the forks redone with new seals/oil, new steering head bearings, have the shock rebuilt, swingarm pivot bushings/bearings, and possibly some new wheel bearings too. If you have the extra cash I would recommend upgrading the suspension while you're at it, RaceTech makes very good re-valving kits for the GSXR about about $140 for the forks and $140 for the shock, and get a set of fork springs that are right for your weight.

I know it sounds like a lot, and it is, which is why I listed it in the order I would recommend doing it, but the difference in the feel and ride of the bike will be like night and day. If you do all that then the bike should ride like a brand new bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
To answer your question; I would do the above, as well as check two other things:

A. Compression test. No doubt you will have lost a bit, but what you are really looking for is the differential between cylinders; you don't want more than 10-12 psi difference between them. Any more than that and it indicates valve and/or ring issues.

B. I would replace the cam chain and tensioner on that motor, as flailing cam chains were about the only problems ever found on high-milage examples of those bikes and you really don't know the level of care it has received.

I would also have the current owner start the bike cold, with you standing off to the side/rear, and watch the exhaust. A blue puff on cold startup indicates oil is leaking down into the cylinder(s) while the bike sits. This is indicative of worn valve guides. Those are about the only things to watch for outside of the norm.
Thanks a ton guys. Without you I would be completely lost.