Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 11-25-2008, 08:12 AM   #101
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHotWheel View Post
I'll see if I can find the links when I get home. The free mods are Airbox...charging system is cheap, just wires and a fuse...pair valve mod needs some block off plates fabbed...maybe Leon or someone has some or can get some?...fan switch is cheap....and the steering damper is under $20. The sites I listed have everything and parting out a few bikes, take a look around and see what tickles your giblets.
I had trouble finding a good, comprehensive breakdown of the pair valve removal... Links to all would be appreciated...

Quote:
And if ya really want to do a quick, cheap mod...drill out the rivets and remove the baffling in your stock cans, you can even cut them down and paint or coat them. I have seen this done with good success and it looks cool with the engine paints on the shelves today.
I already have Yosh bolt-ons, so no need to hack anything...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:46 AM   #102
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Quote:
Oh boy...welcome to the dark side. Start with...airbox mod
I'll get burned at the stake for saying this, but....

Be careful with the airbox mod. I know more people who have had trouble with it than not. I haven't done it yet for that reason, but I did find a spare airbox on Ebay to cut up and play with when I get ready.

The TRE is a good mod, as is the PAIR valve removal. If you want to really have a scary ride, change around the sprockets. I tried a -1 in the front and the thing likes to wheelie even more now than it did before.

Also, re: the 520 conversion. Think long and hard about that one. Personally, I wouldn't run a 520 conversion on a liter bike. I've seen the carnage that results. It's not pretty. Think *new motor*.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:50 AM   #103
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
I'll get burned at the stake for saying this, but....

Be careful with the airbox mod. I know more people who have had trouble with it than not. I haven't done it yet for that reason, but I did find a spare airbox on Ebay to cut up and play with when I get ready.

The TRE is a good mod, as is the PAIR valve removal. If you want to really have a scary ride, change around the sprockets. I tried a -1 in the front and the thing likes to wheelie even more now than it did before.

Also, re: the 520 conversion. Think long and hard about that one. Personally, I wouldn't run a 520 conversion on a liter bike. I've seen the carnage that results. It's not pretty. Think *new motor*.
Motor issues with 520 conversion... I fail to see how...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:58 AM   #104
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Easy. 520 chainsets typically are recommended for 750cc and down motorcycles by the major chain manufacturers. If you put a 520 chain on a liter bike, there's a chance it will never give you trouble. There's also the chance that it will give, sending the chain hurtling through your crankcase at speed. Believe me when I say that holes that big are not repairable with JB Weld.

Sure, racer guys use 520s. However, they also change out their chain and sprockets every race or two.

It's up to you of course, but I've always been of the opinion the weight savings in the chain/sprocket area wasn't enough to make it a chance I was willing to take.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:29 AM   #105
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

I've been running 520 chain and sprockets on my Tuono for two years now. It wears out a lot quicker than 525 chain and sprockets but otherwise, I like it a lot better. Faster acceleration.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:32 AM   #106
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

The absolute MEANEST bike I've ever heard is the Buell XBRR. Insanely loud and sounded like it was fueled by inhaling children.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #107
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

if the pair mod is anything like the rc, its worth doing

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:48 PM   #108
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Moto: VTX 1300C, RC51, CBR600RR, CBR929RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Easy. 520 chainsets typically are recommended for 750cc and down motorcycles by the major chain manufacturers. If you put a 520 chain on a liter bike, there's a chance it will never give you trouble. There's also the chance that it will give, sending the chain hurtling through your crankcase at speed. Believe me when I say that holes that big are not repairable with JB Weld.

Sure, racer guys use 520s. However, they also change out their chain and sprockets every race or two.

It's up to you of course, but I've always been of the opinion the weight savings in the chain/sprocket area wasn't enough to make it a chance I was willing to take.
Not to mention what'll happen to you leg when that SOB comes hurtling forward and literally whips around your ankle as it heads forward to shread apart your motor.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
MikeSP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:11 PM   #109
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Belt drive FTW.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #110
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSP1 View Post
Only a fucking Bueller...
What else am I gonna say?

Quote: