Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Old 10-14-2009, 07:11 PM   #21
i2iSTUDIOS
Photog

Moto: 03 CBR600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
It is your own decision, but I didn't ride with a passenger for the first year or so. I still only do it rarely. Some people on here refuse to take one. Beyond the additional responsibility, it messes with the dynamics of the bike a lot. Even Kate Moss will increase your gross vehicle weight by about 15%. If you still aren't comfortable with getting on the brakes hard or slower speed leaning you might want to hold off on carrying passengers for a while.
It certainly was different. I don't know how much we'll be doing it but practice makes perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
My advice is just ride with (knowledgable) people and talk to them. Try to convince them to let you be leader so they can see where you need help and you can ride at your pace.
My friend has a Yahmaha Sport Tourer said he'd like to go for a ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Want to learn something good?

Throw far as far as you can that can of fix a flat! NEVER use that shit on your bike!!! or even anything that goes faster than 8mph. I've used the greeen slime stuff on a mower and its good! A MOWER!

Put the FI concentrate in your car gas tank. Never buy again. You especially dont need that shit under the bike seat! BAD BAD IDEA

When you want to buy a good FI cleaner... buy Seafoam (search it here).
Here are my thoughts. The fix-a-flat is there if I am stranded and want to get home. It's better than getting stranded.

The FI concentrate is Cheveron Techron, the same stuff that comes from the cheveron fuel pumps. I've had great luck with cleaning the injectors when using that in previous vehicles. This bike has 11,900 miles on it, I'll be doing plugs, oil, brakes, as soon as she get's put up for the winter. I'll be using seafoam in my direct injection car later.

I rode the bike just now at 46 degrees, I took it easy on the turns and let the tires warm up. It'll be just a bit cooler in the morning so that will be interesting.
i2iSTUDIOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:56 PM   #22
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Dont get stranded. Call AAA. Don't have that. Join AMA and get their towing services. DO NOT USE THAT STUFF!

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:14 AM   #23
NeonspeedRT
At Large

Moto: 2005 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Dont get stranded. Call AAA. Don't have that. Join AMA and get their towing services. DO NOT USE THAT STUFF!
I agree. That stuff causes more problems then it's worth. In case of a flat, have a cell phone and a friend with a truck or trailer. AAA, AMA, HRCA (Honda Riders club) and many other groups also offer free towing and roadside assistance for bikers. Stay away from the green stuff.

Also listen to Gas man. He knows his shit about building, maintaining, and working on bikes. The same stuff that will work great in a car doesn't always work great on a motorcycle. Don't find out the hard way what works and doesn't.

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing chess. Anyone can learn the moves, but it takes a lifetime to master the game."
NeonspeedRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:26 AM   #24
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

I have a plug kit that I keep with me and some cartridges for reinflating. What are your thoughts on those? I also have AMA road side assistance

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:45 AM   #25
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

BMWMOA members book ftmfw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #26
NeonspeedRT
At Large

Moto: 2005 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 View Post
I have a plug kit that I keep with me and some cartridges for reinflating. What are your thoughts on those? I also have AMA road side assistance
Nothing wrong with that at all. It's nothing something I would ride on long term. But to get me home in a pinch, sure why not. Just remember you put a plug in the tire and replace the tire as soon as you can.

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing chess. Anyone can learn the moves, but it takes a lifetime to master the game."
NeonspeedRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:15 PM   #27
shmike
Follower

Congrats on your first week!

1. AAA does not offer roadside assistance to bikes unless you have motorcycle(and RV) coverage.

2. A plugged tire won't last longer than an unplugged tire. It doesn't have a shorter lifespan either.

3. Practice is a good thing. When did that become debatable?
Old 10-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #28
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
"emergency" is extremely difficult to create when you are the one knowing and choosing where to create the incident to practice.

I put it equal to learning how to ride a bicycle with clips...
i'd equate it to learning to ride vs clips only. noobs on clips usually only fall over at stops, and sometimes starting vs learning to ride.

sure seat time is important, but he needs to get the emergancy stuff practiced so that if while out on the road, and an emergancy sit. appears he's practiced vs the emergancy BEING the practice.

Good Job OP

practice practice practice

get a tennis ball, cut it in 1/2, throw those down as a braking marker. start practicing your emergancy braking, gradually going faster and faster and applying more braking force.......

ease and squeeze vs GRAB!
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:43 PM   #29
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonspeedRT View Post
I agree. That stuff causes more problems then it's worth. In case of a flat, have a cell phone and a friend with a truck or trailer. AAA, AMA, HRCA (Honda Riders club) and many other groups also offer free towing and roadside assistance for bikers. Stay away from the green stuff.

Also listen to Gas man. He knows his shit about building, maintaining, and working on bikes. The same stuff that will work great in a car doesn't always work great on a motorcycle. Don't find out the hard way what works and doesn't.
I don't think I've ever worked on a bike...

http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=782

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:07 PM   #30
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

The guys are right, FAF is bad stuff for bikes. For cars its a whole different ball game. Get a plug kit. Smaller, easier to carry around, less messy and will get your butt home if needed. I always carry one and someone always needs it (usually for a car), never had to use it myself.

Something else good to carry, zip ties!! (And you cant go wrong with bandaids either )
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote