Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
The R1 10 31.25%
The Busa 17 53.13%
Tater's Whore of an Ex Wife 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2008, 08:49 AM   #1
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1
Question Which would you get (and WHY?)

Alright, so as ya'll know, I'm on the hunt for a new(er) bike and probably going to do something soon (next couple of weeks).

The two bikes I'm looking at are the '04-'06 R1 and the '04-'07 Busa --- I've ridden both, loved both equally (but differently) and know I'd be happy with either.

Now one thing that a lot of people have mentioned is "You guys already HAVE an R1, so why get another one?" which is a valid point (however the R1 is just a fabulous machine, so why NOT, right? ) On the other hand, the Busa is the other bike Chris was considering when he got his R1, so I know it's something he'd also enjoy riding, and we could (theoretically) 'share' both bikes.

Well now there's a couple of really great options that have surfaced that are making the decision really hard and giving us a lot to think about....

First off we found a Shift Red '05 R1 with about 12K miles on it. It's in beautiful shape, already has some basic mods done to it and is local. However, we don't know the owner, so we don't know how it's been maintained. They're asking $6500 on this one.

Then we have an '06 Busa with 10K miles on it. It's already got exhaust, windscreen, frame sliders, the rear seat cowl, HID's and I forget what else. It's owner by a good friend, and I KNOW how well it's been maintained (immaculately). They're also going to change the oil and do a flush and replace with Engine Ice before they sell it. They're asking $6000 on this one.

So based on that information only, which do you think sounds better (not just based on price, but all around)?
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

This is not even a choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
Rider
Moto GP Star

I'd get an R1 but that's me. I'm not a touring type of rider, I tear the shit out of twisties everywhere I go.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:01 AM   #4
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Me, I'd buy the busa....better price, lower miles, newer bike and you know the condition of the bike. Plus, the busa is a better all-'round bike for slabbing long miles. Plus it is competent in the twisties.....

From a strictly $ standpoint... the busa : $8600 http://www.kbb.com/kbb/OtherVehicles...48&YearId=2006

vs the R1: $7500

http://www.kbb.com/kbb/OtherVehicles...43&YearId=2005

..again, you know I look at these with an eye towards the $'s; so take it with a grain of salt. Just seems to me that the busa is a bike I could ride for a year or two and break even or even make a dollar or two.....
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:06 AM   #5
neebelung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
This is not even a choice.
Explain!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I'd get an R1 but that's me. I'm not a touring type of rider, I tear the shit out of twisties everywhere I go.
See if we HAD twisties, it might be an easier choice. But we don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
Me, I'd buy the busa....better price, lower miles, newer bike and you know the condition of the bike. Plus, the busa is a better all-'round bike for slabbing long miles.

From a strictly $ standpoint... the busa : $8600 http://www.kbb.com/kbb/OtherVehicles...48&YearId=2006

vs the R1: $7500

http://www.kbb.com/kbb/OtherVehicles...43&YearId=2005

..again, you know I look at these with an eye towards the $'s; so take it with a grain of salt. Just seems to me that the busa is a bike I could ride for a year or two and break even or even make a dollar or two.....
All true... Hmm.... (and we did think about that, that the price on the Busa is so good, I could ride it for a couple years and either sell it and probably still make a bit on it, OR keep it for a 3rd bike.

Hmmm.....

and BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... I love that there's already 10,003 votes!!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 09:13 AM   #6
papapoi
Lost

I would have to say the busa i agree with otb
Old 08-04-2008, 09:15 AM   #7
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by papapoi View Post
I would have to say the busa i agree with otb
Same here, on all of his points. Especially the touring one though. Being in floirida, I'm sure there is a lot cheaper market for the chrome and streched swingarms too. :P
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:17 AM   #8
Crazy
I'm home take me drunk

Moto: 2005 SV650s blue

R1 because the busa looks like a cow.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:20 AM   #9
neebelung

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
Being in floirida, I'm sure there is a lot cheaper market for the chrome and streched swingarms too. :P
To quote your tagline, thanks ass.

(if we go with the Busa, it'll become the ANTI bling Busa.... )
Old 08-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #10
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

I don't like the Busa, not much more to it than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote