Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 05-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #41
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Oh yes... the fuel pumped carbed bikes... my buds honda shadow is that way. His would still start but it had a blown relay.

Do you have a service manual? This is why I tell all you grasshoppers to have one.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:22 PM   #42
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

I have a haynes manual, no actual service manual.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:27 PM   #43
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

A lot of times the fuel and blinker relays are the same and can be swaped to cheak them. Not always but a lot of the time.

I still say try the jump my wifes F4 had a bad battery it would take a charge and would crank the bike for about 5 min 6 seconds at a tiem of course then die. The battery was just weak may be a cell out and the bike would start right up with with a jump from a strong battery.

I assume you have a car and cables its a easy way to check the battery.

Again I ask have you done any maintenance lately it always sems to be the problem. Even if you only lifted they tank or seat to look at some thing you could have pinched a hose or unpluged some thing and did not notice.

Carbed bikes are easy to see if they are getting fuel they have a drain screw on the float bowls you only need to open it. Bad fuel pumps on carbed bikes are common because they are very low pressure and volume. They are only there to over come the pressure of the ram air system and or the fact that the carbs may be higher than the bottom of the tank.

They have to be weak or they would bypass the float valve.

Most carbed bikes will start and idle fine with out the fuel pump aslong as the carbs are filling(lower than the level of fuel IE: fulltank) But then run like crap once the speeds increase or the revs build faster than the carbs can refill.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:18 PM   #44
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

I'd put a little gas in the carbs and see if it starts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoYZF View Post
I have a haynes manual, no actual service manual.
Gee it's too bad that someone didn't post a way for you to get a manual online for free....
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:27 PM   #45
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRCNICK11 View Post
A lot of times the fuel and blinker relays are the same and can be swaped to cheak them. Not always but a lot of the time.

I still say try the jump my wifes F4 had a bad battery it would take a charge and would crank the bike for about 5 min 6 seconds at a tiem of course then die. The battery was just weak may be a cell out and the bike would start right up with with a jump from a strong battery.

I assume you have a car and cables its a easy way to check the battery.

Again I ask have you done any maintenance lately it always sems to be the problem. Even if you only lifted they tank or seat to look at some thing you could have pinched a hose or unpluged some thing and did not notice.

Carbed bikes are easy to see if they are getting fuel they have a drain screw on the float bowls you only need to open it. Bad fuel pumps on carbed bikes are common because they are very low pressure and volume. They are only there to over come the pressure of the ram air system and or the fact that the carbs may be higher than the bottom of the tank.

They have to be weak or they would bypass the float valve.

Most carbed bikes will start and idle fine with out the fuel pump aslong as the carbs are filling(lower than the level of fuel IE: fulltank) But then run like crap once the speeds increase or the revs build faster than the carbs can refill.
Im about to try the jump right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I'd put a little gas in the carbs and see if it starts...

Gee it's too bad that someone didn't post a way for you to get a manual online for free....
Dont pat yourself on the back too hard, you posted one for a 1999-2002 r6. I dont ride an r6, I ride a yzf600r, different bike.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #46
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Man I have spent the last half hour trying to figure out how to send you this fucking repair manual!!! Grrrrrr!!!!!
Old 05-29-2009, 03:42 PM   #47
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Im about to try the jump right now.

Dont pat yourself on the back too hard, you posted one for a 1999-2002 r6. I dont ride an r6, I ride a yzf600r, different bike.

Well there's your problem...

Hmm... that's true but wouldn't the R6 manual help?
Old 05-29-2009, 05:50 PM   #48
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Quote:
Well there's your problem...

Hmm... that's true but wouldn't the R6 manual help?
It may help some. Im just trying some fairly basic stuff so the haynes is helping.

Question time. Now that the bikes in pieces right now, how do I know if the fuel filter is trash? I think it may be but Im still not sure thats the problem. And right now Im pulling the spark plugs to see if they spark or not.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:55 PM   #49
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
It may help some. Im just trying some fairly basic stuff so the haynes is helping.

Question time. Now that the bikes in pieces right now, how do I know if the fuel filter is trash? I think it may be but Im still not sure thats the problem. And right now Im pulling the spark plugs to see if they spark or not.
Gas is WAY better at this than me but you can pull the gas line and run it into a container, turn on the key and see if you are flowing the proper amount of gas per minute. To be honest, if you haven't changed it, it's probably due by now. The main thing to look for is if you are getting gas flow at all, if not it's your fuel pump.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #50
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Quote:
Gas is WAY better at this than me but you can pull the gas line and run it into a container, turn on the key and see if you are flowing the proper amount of gas per minute. To be honest, if you haven't changed it, it's probably due by now. The main thing to look for is if you are getting gas flow at all, if not it's your fuel pump.
Thats what Im thinking. The filter looks kind of dark inside with only a small section that is clean that looks like it flows properly so Im going to hopefully get a new filter tomorrow morning (all 3 main dealers around here closed at 6) and Ill probably just replace the plugs since I have the bike pulled apart already and they look a little rough.