Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Around the World > Southwest Riders

Old 03-23-2009, 03:27 PM   #51
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Where can we find voting records on bills? I swear I saw somewhere who the 2 nays and the 7 yeas were.

I'm calling Wentworth today.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #52
MNellis
Trailer Queen

Default A differing view

First, let me compliment Moira on the great job she is doing by being involved in "The Process" of local government. Due in part to her enthusiasm and commitment to this bill, there seems to be a lot of support on this forum (and others) for this bill to pass.

I've read that there is some limited opposition from other sport bike communities and extreme opposition from the "hard core biker community". I have not read what exactly their opposition is but I can presume that it's along the same lines as mine.

So, with all due respect to the supporters of this bill, can I get some comments on why this lane splitting bill, in it's current form, is so necessary? What is it so important about lane splitting that gets people fired up and passionate about it...so much so they are willing to give up a personal freedom to see it passed?

You can probably see where I'm going with this and I do so because I have not seen the issue debated in an open forum such as this before. If it has, please send me a link to that discussion.

Now, let me preface my position by giving some background on myself to those I don't know. I received my drivers license in 1972 in Southern California. Some will say that makes me an old fart (true) and a California liberal (false). I learned to ride in the crowded LA freeways where lane splitting was legal, winding roads were plentiful, the climate was arid and off-road riding was legal for as far as the eyes could see. Lane splitting was a way of life and something motorcyclist took for granted. It wasn't until many years later when I moved from the Valley (yea, yea I was a surfin valley boy back in the day too) that I got the sweet taste of a citation for going to the head of the line at a traffic light. So much for how the rest of the country treated motorcyclists.

Additionally, I'm a motorcycle racer and (former) fast street rider who wears a helmet and encourages/recommends that others do so at all times. A helmet has saved my life more times than I can to count so I can not/will not debate the merits of wearing one. If you choose to wear one then great! If you choose not to wear one, for whatever reason, then that's OK with me too, it's the option you choose to take. Occasionally but not often, I choose to go sans helmet. My wife doesn't like it, my parents don't like it and I'm ridiculed and called a squid by my peers and other racers when I do so. I know the risks and I'm willing to accept them.

So, as you can see, I support splitting traffic in it's basic form...as a convenience and advantage to riding a motorcycle on the street. Not being allowed to split traffic lanes does not hinder or improve on my enjoyment of riding my motorcycle on the street. I also support wearing a helmet, that is not the question.

I'm just curious as to what is the prime motivation for those who have taken up this cause. The energy and resources to fight this battle can be significant so there must be a good reason.

Thoughts?

Last edited by MNellis; 03-23-2009 at 06:02 PM..
MNellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #53
pdog
Refugee

Moto: Pimped 2005 SV650

My motivation: I want to lane split on hot days and bad traffic. I couldn't care less about helmets and freedom. I see a helmet as no different from a seat belt.
pdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #54
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Purely selfish on my part. I want TX to catch up with the rest of the world and realize that splitting is a valid way to move more traffic (and get me home sooner).

I see the helmet provision as a reasonable compromise when dealing with a general public that thinks lanesplitting is opening the door to reckless insanity on the part of motorcyclists. Nobody is forcing anyone to wear a helmet during all motorcycle use, and it may help help show car drivers the more safety-oriented side of motorcycling.

Edit: I'm not sure I buy the "personal freedom" argument. If this passes, my freedoms as a helmetless rider would remain exactly as they are today. I'd be free to not wear a lid, and I'd be free to not split the lanes.

Last edited by anthonyk; 03-23-2009 at 06:24 PM..
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #55
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNellis View Post
I'm just curious as to what is the prime motivation for those who have taken up this cause. The energy and resources to fight this battle can be significant so there must be a good reason.
Oh crap, I'm supposed to have a reason?? Just kidding.

As a person that no longer rides on the street, it would seem as though this piece of legislation wouldn't benefit me at all. Well, today it doesn't. Though, I used to commute on my bike - and I chose when I would commute based on when I could come home, the temp that day - to decide if my bike would try to eat itself in the heat of the tarmac.

The helmet factor matters not to me. I always wear a helmet, always will wear a helmet. And, should the planets line up just right and I don't wear a helmet... I just won't split lanes.

My eldest is on the track to getting her license this summer. I'd like her to have the choice to do it legally.

MORE motorcycles only help my business. More motorcycles only help oil and gas availabilities. More motorcycles on the roads only help the rest that have been there... safety in numbers. Hell, if we get enough motorcycles commuting downtown - we might even get our own parking.

I have no issue with the bill the way it stands today. It was explained to me that the helmet restriction was put in as a concession to the protests this bill has had in the past. Those opposed in the past were concerned about our "safety". I believe it's a fair compromise.

At the rate it's going, I might just be back riding on the street by the time it passes....

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:13 PM   #56
azoomm
moderator chick

UPDATE from Angie: (Policy Analyst, Senate Committee on Transportation and Homeland Security)

"We are trying to get the votes to bring it up before the full Senate. If we get them today we can bring it up tomorrow. So far we have 15 yeses, 3 no votes, and the rest are undecided. Any phone calls that you and others can make would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! "

We are SO CLOSE. Phone calls are right now the most quick way to get your point across. So... CALL. Call now.

http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/

Come Play at the Track!!

Old 03-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #57
pdog
Refugee

Moto: Pimped 2005 SV650

w00t!!!

The bill passed the Senate today. Now it goes to the House.

FOX/KTBC-7 is showing what I'm sure will be a "fair and balanced" report on the lane splitting issue on their 9pm broadcast tonight.
pdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:25 PM   #58
skiergirl
Gixxer Girl

Moto: 05 GSXR 750 & 06 YZ250F

ha, yea I can only imagine what horror stories they will show of people doing wheelies down 183 saying 'this is what you can expect' ....

The bad part is this report will being it to everyone's attn and prompt people to call in against it...
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:39 PM   #59
Austinrider
Squid

I just found out the bill passed as well by talking with someone in Steve Ogdens office. She asked if I rode and what I thought of the bill. I told her I was an educator as well as a rider and my reasoning for hoping that Ogden supported the bill. I think the vast majority of us realize the benefit of having more ppl on two wheels on the road as well as being able to continue moving in the heat of the day while those in ac cages don't overheat. Hopefully not to much other crap gets thrown on this so it will get passed.

AR
Austinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #60
azoomm
moderator chick

Can you guys do me a favor and light FOX's phone up?? (512) 476-7777

Just tell them you saw the promo for the piece they want to run about the Lane Splitting bill. That you believe it might not be fair and balanced, that it may not be representing what the bill actually proposes. [they show motorcycles zipping in and out of cars in traffic AT SPEED].

They will have you leave a voicemail... leave one.

If we light up the phone lines now, they will pull the piece, or RE DO it. PLEASE.

Come Play at the Track!!