Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 09-29-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory
Default Got to ride the EBR 1190sx

I think I should start by acknowledging that I am a very lucky self indulgent fool some times. That said I signed up for a a factory Test ride of the EBR Super Fighter the 1190 SX . It was on the 9/23 and as luck would have it one the Inamates I work with assaulted on of my staff on 9/22 and I had to be in hearings all the of the 23rd. ON the way hoe though I got a text from the dealer that th driver of the factory truck wasn't leaving till noon the next day and that if I came by the next day I could ride one.
So at 9:am on 9/24 I climbed on board. My first surprise was how pleasant the seating position was. I am 6'1 with a 32 inch inseam. When I first looked at the bike I thought I would need drop pegs of some kind, Not so! A very comfortable seating positing no cramping and a sane upright reach to the handle bars. All the levers are very adjustable, and my only ad on would be heated grips (I live in Nh) The factory rider had asked me what kind of riding I wanted to try and I wanted to try highway mixed secondary roads and traffic. So as we rolled out into traffic I noted my one complaint first is a little to tall (a one or 2 over rear sprocket would resolve it and the factory guy said there is one coming) That said it handled wonderfully and in traffic there was no sign of heat or the crunched up feeling that I get on the busa. Very easy to bike for me to ride in traffic. On the highway i got another pleasant surprise, The Mirrors are usable! On my old 999 Duc mirrors were purely cosmetic, on the Duc Streetfighter I test mirrors were a fuzzy approximation of usable , the Buell V Twin was so smooth that there was next to no distortion. Bars didn't vibrate and the seemed ideally positioned for me. On the highway you are quickly reminded of of the trade for the upright seating position as the wind presses firmly against you. The engine is quick smooth and easy It starts to pull at about 4k and and the secondaries start to splash fuel in at 8k , and boy do you feel it. In the twisties even a old dubber like myself can make this bike dance a bit. While I never go my knee down (wasn't my bike) I had the sense with a little saddle time it was entirely possible. It has a complex traction control system that is in no way intrusive. everything about the bike says buy me ,, now to come up with the cash!
Old 10-02-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

First off, color me jealous.

Second. Have you ever been on an 1125? Either the R or CR?
Wondering how the ergos compare. I'm sure the power is better and obviously they fixed the vibe issue.

Great write up, and glad you got the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Sounds pretty awesome.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #4
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

That sounds like an awesome experience. Glad you recognize you are a "lucky fool". Some people take opportunities like this for granted.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:37 PM   #5
fujimoh
Kneedragger

Moto: CBR 1000RR

I am going to have to check one of those out
fujimoh is offline   Reply With Quote