Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja
Default After 107 years in Milwaukee, Harley could leave

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100804/...waukee_breakup
Old 08-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

not surprising. most manuf places here have union employees that make way too much money for what they do. if they won't take concessions then the co will start looking to leave and find less expensive labor.
not to mention the fact that the entire city has been losing jobs for the last few years at an alarming rate.
where I sit right now I used to be able to look out and see 5 large companies right here. now we are all that is left. businesses are running from Milwaukee and Wisconsin in general at a large rate. too much tax, too much $ for labor, too much bad weather, too many floods, our business has had serious flood damage three times in the last 15 years. The crime rate is alarming to say the least. they claim crime is down, hard to believe when at least 5 days out of every week you turn on the news to a new murder.
a short while ago someone said we would be the next Detroit. That now seems very plausible.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
not surprising. most manuf places here have union employees that make way too much money for what they do. if they won't take concessions then the co will start looking to leave and find less expensive labor.
not to mention the fact that the entire city has been losing jobs for the last few years at an alarming rate.
where I sit right now I used to be able to look out and see 5 large companies right here. now we are all that is left. businesses are running from Milwaukee and Wisconsin in general at a large rate. too much tax, too much $ for labor, too much bad weather, too many floods, our business has had serious flood damage three times in the last 15 years. The crime rate is alarming to say the least. they claim crime is down, hard to believe when at least 5 days out of every week you turn on the news to a new murder.
a short while ago someone said we would be the next Detroit. That now seems very plausible.
Democrat leadership?
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
wildchild
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Democrat leadership?
how'd you guess? Mayor and Governor.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
how'd you guess? Mayor and Governor.
The've been running Michigan into the ground and you made the Detroit reference... seems like a logical conclusion.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
At least youre not cleavland.

I would love it if Harley was built in japan, how fucking cool would that be to finally tell some asshole that my japanese bike was built in dayton ohio while his american bike was built in Ochinowahana japan
Old 08-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
wildchild
cruiser

they won't move overseas yet. although they have talked about it. that would be the death of HD. right now they're looking at moving manuf to other plants of theirs within southern states.
i think their union is hoping they can strike a deal like mercury marine did. i don't think that will happen again. union wouldn't budge so Merc was going to move to OK. then the state and city stepped in and offered the world if they agreed to stay. they said they'd stay for now.
Harley has already said they want no gov't negotiation. another words if the union wants to stand their ground HD will probably move. It will suck not having the 5 year parties in our town. it's always a blast to ride around during that no matter what you ride.
as far as union folks losing their job. oh fucking well, no sympathy for them at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
At least youre not cleavland.

I would love it if Harley was built in japan, how fucking cool would that be to finally tell some asshole that my japanese bike was built in dayton ohio while his american bike was built in Ochinowahana japan
actually I heard the other day Honda has moved all motorcycle manuf back to Japan.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Wouldnt it be fun for H-Ds to be built in AR-can-saw or Mississississippppiiiii? Can you say corporate edumacation? Factory recall on a century old design? Quality control by Budweiser?

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #9
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

hopefully to China
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #10
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
hopefully to China
Well, the build quality might conceivably improve...