Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Old 03-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #51
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
I'm just starting to hate this man. Who's with me?
Starting to?

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #52
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

I have been resisting... but I am giving in to my hatreted.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #53
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I left Gold Beach around 9 and headed south. I only had two things I really wanted to see... the Red woods, and the Golden Gate Bridge. Then it was over to my brother's in Roseville (north east of Sacramento)for the night.

Before I even get to the border I'm greeted by this

A perfect goodbye/good morning from the Oregon Coast... one of my favorite area's

Then it was into California.

In California the weather really started to warm up. Got up above the clouds in a couple areas before the Redwoods

then rode on down to

I rode on down to the Trees of Mystery, but didn't go on the tour... 2 miles is a long walk in my suit... but did stop for a shot

then it was onto the Red Wood National Forrest

I rode through the Ave of the Giants, though I didn't stop for pictures. The ride was too much of a blast and I wanted to make it to my brothers before 8. As it was I had to by pass San Fran in order to make that deadline.

I spent Yesterday at my bro's relaxing and was planning on leaving today, however he talked me into stay'n another day and I think I'll be headed out to San Fran for those photos while he's at work.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #54
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lefty View Post
then it was onto the Red Wood National Forrest
I will one day see these trees in person. I'm sure the pictures simply do not do the trees justice.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:46 AM   #55
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

yep... I hate you Ebbs. It's jealousy filled raging hate...

Run Amsoil Product
Old 03-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #56
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

So I decided to spend two days at my brothers, neither of which I ended up going to San Fran.* That'll have to wait until next trip, instead, I mailed off excess clothes, and my camping gear.* I haven't been in the mood to camp.* When I camp I like to end the day early, start a fire, and relax.* I just don't feel like shorting the riding that much.* As is, I haven't been covering much ground due to stopping for pictures.* The other thing I found was KOA's (I know not the ONLY place to camp, but nice as many have wifi and showers) are just as expensive as motel 6.*

The extra weight was wighing on my mind too. The bike has fallen over 4 times, and every time it's been to the kickstand side.* as is, when I get off the front tire slides a little more when the handlebars are turned.* Just doesn't seem stable, I know the lean is a well known issue, but didn't think it was THAT big an issue.* With my camping gear and everything I have to really watch to make sure it's not going to topple over. So I shipped off 40lbs of gear... which was everything in my black wolfman bag and my tripod.* Bike seems much happier, guess I just need to learn to pack lighter.

Anyways, yesterday I left Roseville, and headed to Yosemite National Park.* I followed 49 to 120, GREAT riding, lots of twisties, good pavement, little traffic.* The only problem was there were signs saying 120 was closed in Yosemite, with no access to the Valley floor.* I figured as with most detour's they'd have the Detour this way sign.* so I followed 120 looking for them... Nope.* Ended up at the Gate for Yosemite where I was turned around, told to back track 17 miles, and go an extra 45 miles out of the way.* Awesome.* I had left my brothers at 0930 expecting to be at Yosemitie by 1130ish.* I would have made it.* as was with the detour, I didn't arrive until after 1300 (1pm)* The roads were phenominal though... 49 and 140 are amazing.

As I said I arrived in Yosemite at 1300 and started with the pics

Old 03-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #57
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

it was after 5 when I left Yosemite, and I ended up staying the night in Fresno.* Tried uploading the photos from there, but the internet was insanely slow.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #58
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

So, I'm days behind.* Just haven't been feeling like typing out my days as I know they were ending.* It's why I couldn't leave Portland, knowing from there on, I had less time ahead of me than I did behind. That the trip was ending real life had to start again.* Well... that's a half truth.* It also meant saying goodbye to my home and more importantly Family.*

It's funny, growing up I was't the greatest sibling growing up. Fighting, teasing, and just being a spoiled ass.* I guess being the oldest, I wanted to just wanted my distance but due to the fact that 5 years separated me from my baby brother, distance wasn't easy to come by.* As the years pass, I find that I want just the opposite.* I think it's in the fact that every time I see them now, so much has changed.* New jobs, homes, significant others, and interests.* Its killing me having my family grow older and not feeling like I'm a part.

Anyways… enough with the melodramatic, on to the report.

I left Fresno and planned on hitting Tucson.* Because of the extra days spent in Portland and Sacramento, I was worried about a time crunch and decided that I was just gonna slab it.* There wasn't anything in Southern California or Arizona that was a must see (Grand Canyon wasn't on the trip list this time)* The weather was awesome, about 75 the whole way… ended up stripping down to one layer top and bottom under my suit in Palm Springs (80* according to the bank sign) but the wind was a killer.* It caused me to end the day in Phoenix rather than Tucson. Here's the border shot

The next day I got up and rode into Texas.* I had toyed with doing an Iron butt (1000miles in under 24hrs… http://www.ironbutt.com) to Austin where I could stay with some friends, but just wasn't up to it… yet.* I decided on Fort Stockton but settled for Van Horn.* I again slabbed the trip as I was sure it was Saturday and I wanted to have a day to recover in Gulfport, before going back to work.* I did make one detour to Tombstone AZ, but arrived just after the last mock gun fight and didn't wanna kill 30 min waiting for the next.* I had a schedule to keep

For My Buddy Gas Man

The day was much colder than the day before, especially once I hit Texas.* The sun dropped and the speed limit rose to 80.* I had the heated vest on high for the first time since Idaho, and also for the first time I had problems with Aerostich suit.* The velcro on the chest wouldn't keep and so the wind would come in the gap above the chest zipper, freezing me.* I ended up using the RDS (http://www.ridedualsport.com) beanie to insulate where the zipper ends.* Worked like a dream. I got into Van Horn around 2000hr (8pm) and decided to crash out early, so I could start the day early.

I browsed the weather and 31 and Rain/Ice was the forcast all the way to Austin until around 12.* AWESOME... thought I left the ice and cold in the north.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #59
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Great pics on an Epic adventure. Just that last word, adventure, is always the case. Nothing ever works out as planned and it's about adapting the trip to make it a good one that makes it an adventure. Good for you man!!

I hear ya on the camping. If I'm trying to do some serious riding I'd prefer to just motel it. If I am going to camp off the bike I just want to do a "camping trip". I plan on doing both this summer.

Thanks for the HD pic too!

Run Amsoil Product
Old 03-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #60
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Yeah, I am glad I didn't camp, especially since I don't sleep well camping, it was much easier just to grab a motel for the night. You save a ton of time for riding by skipping setting up/taking down camp. If you are alone, you miss out on half the fun of campfire and bullshiting anyway, unless you go campground and talk to people.

I hear you about the family issue. Seems like my family is splitting up as well, especially since I moved away from everyone. Since it's just me and Andrea, it seems like my immediate family has moved on from the close knit unit we once were, but both my bro andsis have kids, so they got their own thing going now. I got a feeling it won't be long before there is a little Trippy though. All of our local friends and family have been pregnant or are pregnant. So baby fever is starting up bad around here.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote