Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Old 03-15-2012, 11:27 PM   #71
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Next step after that is a snippy snip for you.
Best thing I have ever done in my life is to get my sperm cut off from the outside world
Old 03-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #72
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Best thing I have ever done in my life is to get my sperm cut off from the outside world
I agree.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #73
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

wow phenomonal pics and write up. beautiful date by the way (belated yes) I've done the snow thing it's "interesting" to say the least. LOL looks like a fantastic vacation.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #74
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

So it's been a while since I've posted here... I wished it was because I was doing soo much riding i didn't have the time... unfortunatly that's not the case.* I ended up in the hospital in August of 02 because someone slashed my valve stem while I ran into my office real quick and I went down slamming my helmet resulting in a severe concussion.* So I stopped riding to work... Then at the BUTT rally I wrecked and ended up in the hospital again with another severe concussion...* two months later I moved to Denver, Colorado, and though I had some good rides in the snow, I wasn't about to commute in it LOL.* So it wasn't until this weekend that the Dakar made it's first appearance this year in the mountains of Colorado.* I didn't do as much riding as I'd hoped, but i need to get used to long days in the saddle again, and I had prior engagements that cut one day short.

I did make a ride down to Pikes Peak on Saturday though.* Gorgeous day, so I stopped and took the obligatory photo of the Dakar

I was bummed to hear from the ranger that the road was paved all the way to the top, but once I got north of 11,000ft I was OK with it.* The winds picked up and with no guard rails... had me wondering if a concussion would be the least of my problems if I went down here.* I also noticed my confidence on the bike was not what it was... I was stiff and couldn't relax on the way up.* Not sure if it was because of my offs... or the time away from riding.* I made it to the top eventually and was astonished at how little effort it took for me to feel out of breath.* I'm in for a hell of a wake up in a couple weeks when I run the Mt Evans ascent (14 miles starting at 10k ft finish at 14k feet.)

Anyways... here are a couple pics from the top

Then I decided to use my new(ish) Sony NEX-5n that I bought purposely for motorcycle trips for the ride down.* I put the neck strap on and shot these as I coasted down in 2nd (held me right at the 20mph speed limit)

Yesterday I took off planning on riding nearly 400 miles, something well within my comfort zone, or used to be.* I found I'm needing to ease myself back into long days, as my butt is the limiting factor.* Anyways... the day started off fantastic... got an earlier start so the weather was cooler.. but still in the 70's.* At the first gas stop I strapped by camera strap through the tank bag to hold it secure but still able me to take photos while riding.* Took some getting used to, and I need to work on holding the camera level, but as I'm shooting with my left hand and not taking my eyes off the road (except on a couple) I think out of 300+ shots I got 100 that were keepable... and about 20 that are worthy of showing.* Here are a few

My trip took me on and off road and I found this little abandon building... and when on a motorcycle ride... abandon building=photo op.

The dirt ended just up around the corner from this, and as quickly as it showed up, it vanished (probably less than .25miles) and I was transported back in time, I just wished the photos had turned out better

Most people pose for self shots... not me... Mid verse of The Man Who Sold The World, done much better by Nirvana
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #75
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Then it was back on the asphalt and through some of most gorgeous country in Colorado and some cool mountain towns.

Then it was back off road... I had planned on a couple off road stints, but this one wasn't planned.* My GPS routed me though and considering I'd come way down from where I saw snow last, I was ok with it.* I was still at 10k feet I'd later find... only got a couple photos before the road required both hands and complete attention (again my lack of confidence off road kicked in)

About 6 miles down the road I ran into snow, it went form a shady area here and there to covering the road in big 10' long areas... which I stupidly didn't scout before and pressed through... and finally to a section that was completely snow for at least 100yards (couldn't see any further due to corners).* so I tried turning around, only 1 the ground was like grease due to the run off from the melting snow, and I was on a hill... Note to self... when in a new area and slick conditions combine with elevation changes... SCOUT FIRST!* I got the bike turned around and started up the hill, but didn't make it far.* The first and biggest snow section stopped me solid.* I couldn't get traction with the tire or my feet to try and paddle.* I had just dropped the bike on it's side after losing my footing when a guy showed up on a Yamaha WR250 and helped me get the bike out... I'm not quite sure what I'd have done had he not shown up... HUGE WAKEUP call for me, SCOUT and don't even slightly push it when alone.

Anyways, this whole ordeal took about 2hrs out of my day and about 50% of my energy so I threw in the flag and rode home.* Thinking I'd hit up the rest of my planned trip Today (Memorial Day) however once I got home and threw some lube on the chain, I discovered my master link clip missing... so no riding till that's back (had a spare, but don't remember where I put it in the move)

anyways... hope you all enjoyed your days off as much as I did mine.

Till next time
Brandon
Old 05-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #76
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Will have to check out the pics later, banned at work for some reason...

Damn you have had some bad luck on the bike. Definitely take it easy out there, especially when riding off asphalt with no one.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #77
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Great photos. Sorry to hear about the bad run of luck lately!

I finally rode to the top of Pike's Peak last year. Wow. Talk about some amazing views. I'm with you though, the lack of guardrail is a little sketch, especially if a gust of wind hits you.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #78
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

You said August of 02...Did you mean 2012? And who slashed a fucking valve stem? People suck.

Glad to see you back in the saddle again, especially after your move to Colorado. Again, your pictures are amazing. The views out there are insanely beautiful.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #79
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

looks amazing

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #80
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Will have to check out the pics later, banned at work for some reason...

Damn you have had some bad luck on the bike. Definitely take it easy out there, especially when riding off asphalt with no one.
It wasn't all on this bike... the Stroke was on the DRZ and so was the concussion in Jan. Just hasn't been a great run as of late

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Great photos. Sorry to hear about the bad run of luck lately!

I finally rode to the top of Pike's Peak last year. Wow. Talk about some amazing views. I'm with you though, the lack of guardrail is a little sketch, especially if a gust of wind hits you.
I'm trying to get a group to do the CO BDR if you're interested for next year... I've already got the GPS tracks... it'll be 6-7 days... and commuting to and from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxxxer View Post
You said August of 02...Did you mean 2012? And who slashed a fucking valve stem? People suck.

Glad to see you back in the saddle again, especially after your move to Colorado. Again, your pictures are amazing. The views out there are insanely beautiful.
Yeah 2012... I'll fix it. One of my Airmen down there... don't know who, pussy didn't have the balls to confront me in person... but I can't think of anything I did that would deserve putting my life at risk... but who knows... a co worker had his brake caliper come off while he was wheeling... turns out the brake line was stripped and the heads of the bolts too... someone loosened them with a pair of pliers or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dReWpY View Post
looks amazing
It's gorgeous... and best thing, is I haven't even seen the best of Colorado yet