Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Old 05-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #91
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Today was not a good day, it began great, because I rode into work, however, I did not ride home... and any day that starts with me riding home, and ending with me riding shotgun in a tow truck... is not a good day...

I left work excited to be on the bike after a tough day dealing with pissed off leadership and just over all cranky people, whom apparently all got together and decided that I needed to join their ranks of the pissed off and chronically depressed.* NOT HAPPENING.... no way... not with my bike awaiting me in the parking lot.

I literally ran out the building, partly to avoid getting caught by a procrastinating negative Nancy, but also because I truly love to ride that much!* I get my helmet on as I'm running, start the motor, give my bike the once over for Tires, lights, etc... and get on and go... I'm out the parking lot, and move over to take a left at the next light... I've gathered a bit of speed in my excitement, but no worries, my brakes are new and in great shape.* So I step down smoothly on the rear brake and squeeze the front brake, and feel the deceleration and the ass end slide side to side a bit... huh, still not used to the SS brake line I had installed last week on the rear... I come to a hault and put my right foot down, it slips and I almost fall.* WTF?* I look down and my motor looks like someone's layed open an artery, as it's black blood gushes, litterally gushes with the heartbeat of the Dakar's thumper motor all over my leg, the engine and puddles on the asphault.* FUCK!* I hit the engine kill switch and push the bike through the intersection (not before almost being hit by a car running a red light... really who can't see a 6'3... 6'4" with helmet guy pushing a white bike in broad day light... Colorado drivers... that's who)

Anyways, I get to the side of the road and investigate... looks like the oil filter cover is loose... and my tools are all at home... DOUBLE FUCK.* I call a co-worker and she drives me to Advanced Auto to buy 3 quarts of oil (one maybe two to add now, and 1 to add to the one at home to change my oil and filter)* and the torx bits and driver needed to tighten the screws.* *$50 later... I'm out the door... ugh.* I get back to the bike and start to tighten the bolts... only they're already tight as hell... WTF?* ok, maybe the O ring busted or something... it was something else

Oh yeah, that broken all the way through... the only thing holding it together is the O ring... TRIPPLE FUCK... so I call Progressive and have them send out a tow truck through my insurance's roadside assistance.* then jump on the phone to BMW to order the part hoping to catch them before they close and get the part in tomorrow and still be able to ride this weekend... yeah... not so much.* I was able to reach them, however they didn't have the part in, and because BMW is doing a "system upgrade" tomorrow, you can't order parts, but the parts guy said he's gonna try getting the order in now to see if they can get it Saturday then call tomorrow AM to ensure it's on the truck... AWESOME,* BMW of Denver (http://www.bmwofdenver.com/) has top notch customer service... they're just as expensive as other BMW dealers, but they take care of their customers and that goes a long way with me (had multiple dealings with them, not just this issue)* so not a big deal, maybe lose out on half a day Saturday of riding.* I hang up and start surfing the web on my Samsung Galaxy Note2... (awesome phone btw... for those not intimidated by it's size)* and my phone rings... it's the parts guy... bad news... no dealer in the states stocks that part, so it's gotta be ordered from Germany... 3 week lead time.* FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK...

I tried the "wooo saaaaa" technique, but just got oil in my ear, which didn't help the calming effect, so it was somewhat less effective than it was on Martin Lawerence's character in Bad Boys... but I took a couple deep breaths and realized it's all out of my hands and honestly... with that last breath, all frustration and anger left... I didn't go down, I was safe, I had a tow truck coming, I had the part on order, I have other transportation, I was actually in a GOOD situation as far as things could go... and hey, this gives me time to sort out some minor things I wanted to fix on the bike anyways....

but I still feel like I need a drink ;-)
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:50 AM   #92
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Damn man, just damn. I hate to see this. If it wasn't for bad luck sometimes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lefty View Post
I tried the "wooo saaaaa" technique, but just got oil in my ear, which didn't help the calming effect, so it was somewhat less effective than it was on Martin Lawerence's character in Bad Boys...
This made me laugh. I do this at work sometimes, and everyone just looks at me like I'm crazy. They clearly haven't seen the movie.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #93
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Wonder what caused that, did you do the last service on it or was it a dealership. Overtorque maybe?

You could try posting on the MOA and see if someone's got an extra lying around to get back up and running faster.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:50 AM   #94
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Damn man, just damn. I hate to see this. If it wasn't for bad luck sometimes...

This made me laugh. I do this at work sometimes, and everyone just looks at me like I'm crazy. They clearly haven't seen the movie.
That was my first thought... if it wasn't for bad luck... lol but hey bad luck would have had me under a truck because of this... so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Wonder what caused that, did you do the last service on it or was it a dealership. Overtorque maybe?

You could try posting on the MOA and see if someone's got an extra lying around to get back up and running faster.
no... I've done the last service, and the last oil change was just before I moved here... I've put close to 800 miles on it since then... and there was no leak or seeping, just an all of a sudden gushing of oil. odd... but it may have been cracked for a while now and just finally let go, like my brain with my stroke LOL... not so worried about why now, just wanna get riding...

I'll hit up MOA and the Chain Gang (F650 site) to see if anyone has one.. didn't think about that. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2013, 10:30 PM   #95
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

I cant help but laugh...Not that it's "Funny" but goddamn. You nialed it though. Coulda been 100000 Times worse.

At least you stayed upright.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:46 PM   #96
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

See if you can get it welded. There's plenty of shops around that weld aluminum.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:53 PM   #97
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

That Dakar hates you. Really it does.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #98
RedRider2k2
Holier Than Thou

Moto: 06 ZX10R, 18 400 Ninja, 11 KLX250s

J.B Weld would take care of that until a new one arrives.
RedRider2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #99
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

That could definitely be TIG welded and if not that, the JB Weld would probably work just to get you through and actually would probably last the life of the part. The key is to thoroughly clean the part and rough-up the area it will bond to. I once repaired a quarter-sized hole in the side of a 550 Maxim with JB and once it was sanded and polished, you couldn't tell it was ever there.
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #100
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRider2k2 View Post
J.B Weld would take care of that until a new one arrives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost View Post
That could definitely be TIG welded and if not that, the JB Weld would probably work just to get you through and actually would probably last the life of the part. The key is to thoroughly clean the part and rough-up the area it will bond to. I once repaired a quarter-sized hole in the side of a 550 Maxim with JB and once it was sanded and polished, you couldn't tell it was ever there.
Yeah that's my plan this weekend. the part actually was only $35 and $2 for rush which cut it down to a week... so hopefully they'll have it by this weekend... but if not... I've got some electrical issues to solve that I've not bothered to do before, but since it's down and I'm bored... (horn and heated grips)