Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 03-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #11
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog View Post
Stop focusing on looks and find a helmet that fits your head first? I looked at all those helmets too (HJC Carbon, Bell Star, etc) but bought an X-11 because it fit my head better than anything else out there. Yeah, my credit card wasn't too happy about it.

BTW webbikeworld.com is by far the best site out there for researching helmets. They're the only ones that try to give you a sense of helmet shape for head fit.
Why so nasty? Here's the link to Webbikeworlds review...yeesh.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...met/bell-star/

BTW that's a review using a early production model from 2008...yeah, wbw is a great source for current information...

But... if you'd like a Shoei X-11, how about $350? They have several model/colors available.
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/s...t+-+e-boz+blue

and if you really want to be "cool" order a Transitions shield to go with it,

http://shieldtechllc.com/products_po...rts-visors.php

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 03-21-2010 at 10:47 AM..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #12
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Ummm... Pdog, did you even watch the STG videos? I honestly think that Van does a way better job going over a lid than WBW...seriously. In fact, I also think that Helmet Harbor does a better job... Just an opinion of course, but watch all of the videos and see what you think after you've actually seen them. I apologize for ASSuming that you didn't watch them but considering that Van takes the lid completely apart and reassembles it in the 2nd video...well, I'm not sure how more thorough he could have been. Heck, he even went over the darn bag and he made a couple videos from the Bell design/testing facility. I didn't see anything like that on WBW's site...maybe, I missed it. I sometimes wonder if they even ride with the helmet for any distance. Van does track days wearing the different helmets he reviews and HH goes for a 50 mile+ ride to review lids and sometimes does the review at the end of the ride. I didn't see that on WBW... Link please.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #13
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Scorpion!
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #14
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
Scorpion!

No no no... Only a shoei will do! the man posted a 200 dollar price point, otherwise I would have said the Rsr2. For what he has to spend he has picked very good lids imho.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #15
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

STG makes excellent videos, but does he describe whether the helmet is an oval, long oval, round, or round oval fit? That's what is good about webbikeworld.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people don't know what kind of head shape they have........Even people who've been riding for years. You hear them make silly comments like "I'm an Arai head".........Um, no.......Arai makes several different shapes..... Someone who fits well in a Quantum will not fit into a Profile.

Last edited by Homeslice; 03-21-2010 at 02:52 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #16
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog View Post
Stop focusing on looks and find a helmet that fits your head first? I looked at all those helmets too (HJC Carbon, Bell Star, etc) but bought an X-11 because it fit my head better than anything else out there. Yeah, my credit card wasn't too happy about it.

BTW webbikeworld.com is by far the best site out there for researching helmets. They're the only ones that try to give you a sense of helmet shape for head fit.
Like Tig... er Lon... er AmberLamps said, WBW is good, but a bit dated with some of the newer models.

The SBTG guy says in the comparo vid of the RSR, X-11, and Star that they all fit the same. (09 and older Star models need one size down from standard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
STG makes excellent videos, but does he describe whether the helmet is an oval, long oval, round, or round oval fit? That's what is good about webbikeworld.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people don't know what kind of head shape they have........Even people who've been riding for years. You hear them make silly comments like "I'm an Arai head".........Um, no.......Arai makes several different shapes, some are round, some are oval. Someone who fits a Quantum well will not fit into a Profile.
Yes, kind of. He doesn't say "this is a round helmet and will only fit round heads" but more of a generalization of a "round oval" or "neutral"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #17
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
No no no... Only a shoei will do! the man posted a 200 dollar price point, otherwise I would have said the Rsr2. For what he has to spend he has picked very good lids imho.

Scorpion's are on sale at STG right now.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #18
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post

It never ceases to amaze me how many people don't know what kind of head shape they have........Even people who've been riding for years. You hear them make silly comments like "I'm an Arai head".........Um, no.......Arai makes several different shapes..... Someone who fits well in a Quantum will not fit into a Profile.
Did anybody watch the videos I posted? *sniffle* He clearly states that the fit is an "intermediate-oval" and should be good for about 90%. He also goes on to explain that they sell different cheek and head pads to customize the fit. Apparently, fit was an issue with older Bell Star lids but now it's been fixed.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #19
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
Scorpion's are on sale at STG right now.
No offense to the Scorpion lovers out there but for the same money I'll take a Bell, Shark, Shoei, Arai, Suomy, OGK, FM, Akuma, Nolan, Vemar, etc... I group Scorpion with HJC, X-lite, KBC, Sparx, AFX, Nitro, Gmax, etc. Just my opinion and experience, of course. I know that there are a ton of people that think that Scorpion helmets are bee's knees but typically, those same people have never owned an Arai, Shark or Shoei high end lid.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #20
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Is Shark considered a "high end" helmet?

I've tried on every helmet out there and every Arai, Shoei, and Suomy fit all to no avail. HJC's fit me perfectly (unfortunately) so I've always stuck with them, and they've done me well.

A few of my racer friends suggested Scorpion's after having the same issues as me, and they've had no complaints and crashed in them.