Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 03-05-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
p00kienrayray
dope fiend

Moto: JICKSIR SICKS HUNNERD
Default Riding Gear that SUCKS

It seems that any type of gear I look at, someone is always sayin "oh they make good stuff" or "quality product right there", now I'd like to hear someone say something bad about a product out there so that I can stay away from. I think this thread would help the newbies out too...

Well let me start by saying that the Joe Rocket RKT 101 helmet (made by HJC) is a piece of shit...it feels really clunky, and the visor NEVER stays closed. One of the biggest waste of $$...

Teknic violator boots...ugly and very cheaply made.
p00kienrayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:32 AM   #2
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by p00kienrayray View Post
It seems that any type of gear I look at, someone is always sayin "oh they make good stuff" or "quality product right there", now I'd like to hear someone say something bad about a product out there so that I can stay away from. I think this thread would help the newbies out too...

Well let me start by saying that the Joe Rocket RKT 101 helmet (made by HJC) is a piece of shit...it feels really clunky, and the visor NEVER stays closed. One of the biggest waste of $$...

Teknic violator boots...ugly and very cheaply made.
Ive heard a lot of people say that teknics boots are cheap.

My hjc was ok, but then I tried on an x11 which is better quality in my opinion and fits me a lot better so its no comparison between the two.

I also have a pair of joe rocket atomic gloves that while they are very comfortable, the stitching on them sucks. The velcro on one glove is coming off and I had a seam pop on the other glove and Ive never been down with them on. They werent very expensive and it shows. I now haw a* gauntlets that I love and will be ordering some a* short cuffs very soon.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:54 AM   #3
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

ill second that joe rocket gloves are CRAP. comfy but they do not last at all
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:00 AM   #4
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Not a fan of Icon Halo series Helmets. The plastic vents on mine broke soon after I got it (without being dropped). Visor always fogged on me, and it was hot as all hell. The pads all compressed more than expected (helmet was very snug when I first bought it).

On the plus side it did hold up well in a crash, just everything else sucked about it.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:10 AM   #5
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

anything Icon - especially the woman's "gear" which, personally, I think isn't even safe to walk around in.

Teknic Violator boots I have to disagree - I'm on my second pair, several race get offs, no foot/ankle injuries and held up during the crash. Comfy to tour in and walk aorund in and the first pair lasted me 3 race seasons and 10,000 street miles (plus endless miles of walking around in them).
The ONLY boot for riders with large calves.

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:34 AM   #6
p00kienrayray
dope fiend

Moto: JICKSIR SICKS HUNNERD

honestly i never crashed in the violators, but wearing them, they didnt feel as sturdy as my current sidi b2's. though i did like the fact that they had the screw for the toe slider under the sole.

also i'd like to add any a*s gloves that have the meshed finger tips. damn i swear it seemed like i put a hole in both pairs before it was even broken in.
p00kienrayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:32 AM   #7
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Nope, I don't buy what I feel is subpar gear. I have a gripe with my Icon jeans though- they make the opening to the pockets too damn small. The pockets inside are roomy, but the top is tiny, and I do not have tiny hands.

Pookie- I just stay away from anything mesh. My mechanics gloves would wear better than most of the moto stuff out there. Which is to say, very badly.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #8
Rider
Moto GP Star

AGV Sport Tornado gloves. They blow, the stitching started coming apart after 1 season. I got them free from an AGV rep though so

Every other piece of gear I've ever owned has been top notch though.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:26 AM   #9
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

all my gear is pretty decent, I've crash tested most of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:29 AM   #10
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I've got a pair of Icon gloves. The Merc longs. They pretty much suck. Good protection. Held up well in a crash. But they aren't comfortable and the velcro stitching in the wrist strap has been coming undone for years.

But they are crash tested and they passed. So I'll wear them...hoping to get a new pair this season.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote