Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 02-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
ZUKIMON
Is this thing on?

Moto: '01, 929RR
Default Steering stabilizer on 929rr

What do you think about the Scott Performance line of stabilizers/dampners??

http://scottsonline.com/Stabilizer_P...n=RR&BI_ID=963

I haven't really felt the need for one yet, no tank slap to speak of, but I also don't want to find out the hard way that I need one. Anyone have this particular unit on their ride?
ZUKIMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:42 PM   #2
Riceaholic
High Life Drinker

Moto: 01 GSXR 1000 - Yamaha Zuma 125

I had my 929 for 4 years and it would get pretty slappy at high revs in 3rd gear. Not quite enough power to lift the wheel but the front was light enough to let it shake. I put a Scott's on mine and all that went away.
Riceaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
ZUKIMON
Is this thing on?

That's kind of what I wanted to hear. I'm going to dig around a bit on the bay and see if I can score a used one. I just don't see it being worth that much money. ??? Thanks for the input dude.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

scotts and gpr are supposed to be real good. id just rather have a piston style from what ive read. looking for a good deal on a sprint...unless someother amazing ass deal presents itself
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #5
ZUKIMON
Is this thing on?

I was talking to a friend at lunch and he said that he has heard of a lot of guys pulling the Scotts style off in favor of the piston type. He said that he couldn't remember what they said about them other than they claimed that it nearly crashed them a time or two....Does this make sense, or is it user error??
Old 02-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUKIMON View Post
I was talking to a friend at lunch and he said that he has heard of a lot of guys pulling the Scotts style off in favor of the piston type. He said that he couldn't remember what they said about them other than they claimed that it nearly crashed them a time or two....Does this make sense, or is it user error??
rotary styles came from the dirt world and supposedly have a dead space in the middle where they dont really damp. pistons have typically come from the superbike ilk. lotta guys racing with both though
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
Riceaholic
High Life Drinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUKIMON View Post

The higher settings on the rotary type are stiffer than the piston type. I had an Ohlins on my TLS so I've had both kinds. Was your buddy trying to hang a U-turn or make a low speed turn with the rotary set on high?

I keep the Scotts on my GSXR set at about 1/4 for street riding and turn it up to about 3/4 for trackdays only.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #8
Riceaholic
High Life Drinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
rotary styles came from the dirt world and supposedly have a dead space in the middle where they dont really damp. pistons have typically come from the superbike ilk. lotta guys racing with both though
I've put more than 40k in street and track miles with a rotary and never noticed a dead spot.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
ZUKIMON
Is this thing on?

To be honest, what he told me what info that he has heard from some of his other friends that ride and that have had the rotary style (not sure if they were Scotts or not). He, just like I, has no personal experience with them, only the piston type.

I would really like to try a rotary type myself, as it just seems like a much cleaner instal.