Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 06-24-2009, 01:16 AM   #41
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
I've been thinking of picking up a set for myself and one for the wife (especially after her low-speed get off a couple of months back) for riding to bike nights and the like.

I like the Icon stuff, but I can get dirtbike stuff for like 12 bucks. What is the Icon giving me for like 5 times the price?

If anyone wears dirtbike knee armor and/or Icon knee armor, I'd like to hear about it.
Haha "Mr Know it all" to the rescue!!! I have Thor knee armor and it is bulkier and is more of a brace than impact protection. Also, it is my opinion that the materials used are not suited to abrasion resistance. For instance the Fox armor that Jalaan uses doesn't have an upper strap which will make it easier for the guard to rotate on initial impact leaving the knee defenseless. Also, the Fox guards use much thinner plastic and less foam. They are designed for impacts in the dirt at < 50 mph. The Icon and A* guards use a denser material (Delrin, I believe) plus their plates are much, much thicker than the off road stuff with better padding and mounting straps. When the off road stuff was being designed they were not thinking 100'+ slides down the asphalt starting at 100+ mph with a heavy impact to start the show. When I wear my Icon leg armor and A* boots, I feel that I am completely protected from the knee down!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:26 AM   #42
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

I got the bionic cause i got a great deal on it off of ebay. The main reason i got it was for the back protector. A guy another,forum im part of struck a tree with his body. He had to wear a chest/back brace and just got it off last month.

I was going to get the Icon vest but they dont make a small size.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:05 AM   #43
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

I have a bionic jacket as well. The Stella womens model. Love it. I mostly bought it for Dual sporting since dirt bike armor just doesn't seem tough enough for a street crash. Haven't worn it too much yet.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:39 PM   #44
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Moto: Concours 14 ABS, ZX6E

Tigger, thanks for the insight. The vast majority of the riding we do out here is low-speed stuff, so I'm thinking that the dirtbike stuff might hold up. I just want something between the knee and the pavement without having to put on my full leathers for cruising to Bike Nights and helping out on the MSF pad.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #45
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...ED004-BAW-10_G

What about these Hokie?
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #46
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
WTF I just got off the phone with Cycle gear and ordered two pair!!! I shit you not!! Oh men's of course! They're $69 for the guys!!

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...RED005-BZ-30_G

http://www.redroutelondon.com/streetjean.html

They're made by frank Thomas btw... I like the knee armor, stretch panel in the back and the zipper to attach them to your jacket!
Old 06-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #47
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Not sure whether they'd be the same as most other women's ones....too high waisted...but def. worth a look!
Old 06-25-2009, 02:52 PM   #48
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Not sure whether they'd be the same as most other women's ones....too high waisted...but def. worth a look!
I'm going to say something against my nature because when it comes to jeans, the lower the better! But obviously, if you're buying these for protection, they need to stay on and cover your entire ass. Low cut jeans do neither!
Old 06-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #49
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I'm going to say something against my nature because when it comes to jeans, the lower the better! But obviously, if you're buying these for protection, they need to stay on and cover your entire ass. Low cut jeans do neither!
Low waisted doesn't mean the shit you see some girls wearing.

There's varying degrees of rise height and a lot of these jeans practically go up to your tits they're so high waisted.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:17 PM   #50
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Low waisted doesn't mean the shit you see some girls wearing.

There's varying degrees of rise height and a lot of these jeans practically go up to your tits they're so high waisted.

So I'd have to unzip your pants to pinch your nipples?!?!?