Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #31
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I kinda gotta side with foojimoh, just because its an asshole move, the original act is still illegal. It might be better if they try and find a sustainable business model rather than suing their customers, but in the meantime, we are still going of archaic digital laws that have been used in BS ways that they were never intended to be used.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #32
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I kinda gotta side with foojimoh, just because its an asshole move, the original act is still illegal. It might be better if they try and find a sustainable business model rather than suing their customers, but in the meantime, we are still going of archaic digital laws that have been used in BS ways that they were never intended to be used.
I wasn't saying he/she/it is right or wrong (although the analogy drawn is, IMHO, flawed). I just don't believe in trolls. So far, I haven't really seen a post of substance or even a simple introduction that would cause me to take 'em seriously.

Hence the "troll" reference.

If I wanted just random people popping in just to say random non-forum related shit and then leave, I'd log in to CF.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #33
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Book hits #1 on Amazon thanks to piracy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_862248.html

Quote:
Mark reviewed a funny parody of a kid's picture book called Go the Fuck to Sleep late last month, and it's since gone to be the number one bestseller on Amazon.
Except, it hasn't been published yet. It's reached the number one slot on the strength of pre-orders.

How did this remarkable thing occur? Piracy.

In an age of e-books, piracy has been a rising concern amongst publishers for a few years, although none of the publishers contacted by The Bay Citizen could recall a PDF of a book going viral in the vein of "Go the Fuck to Sleep." This volume had a few key properties that enabled its electronic popularity: an undeniable title, a good-looking cover and a short length, making it easy to read, post and pass on. Also, the long lag time between the book's pre-sale (it was originally scheduled to go on sale in October) and the buzz made online sharing necessary.
'Go the F--- to Sleep': The Case of the Viral PDF
Old 05-17-2011, 04:43 AM   #34
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
You also cannot walk a duck in nyc on xmas eve, (fake stupid law, but you get the idea) that doesn't make walking ducks wrong.

In other words, I ain't going to buy their shit to begin with, so the money they're losing doesn't exist.

Before the "try to justify it" crowd pops in, I'm not justifying. I don't give two shits about the profits of the media. Motherfuckers make more bank in a week than the majority of us will see in a lifetime. If they have to make due with the second tier of personal jet instead of the top tier, I can still sleep soundly at night.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:47 AM   #35
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujimoh View Post
Supposed someone stole your motorcycle. Would that be OK?

Illegal downloading is stealing someone else's property. There is no difference. Supposed you worked on a book, movie or App for a smartphone, would you want to be paid for your effort, or would you give it away for free?

Please tell me what the difference is.
Yes, it is, but let me run something by you here. What if you were a photographer, who used recordable media to send images to your clients, but were forced to pay a 'levy' to the recording and movie industries on every blank CD/DVD that you purchased?

You see that's the position, that we're in, here in Canada. My work gets ripped off, just like theirs does. I have no recourse other than petitioning the thieves for redress, or suing them. I don't get any of that money, that's pinched from me when I buy blanks. I don't get to 'opt out' of paying it, for my legitimate use of blank recording media.

Here, in Canada, none of the illegal downloading cases have been successful, since the day that the industry managed to have that levy passed into law. The reasoning is that they asked for a way that they could be paid, for those illegal downloads, and the GOT IT. So of course, now, they want changes in the law so that they get two bites at the apple. All well and good, but what about protection for MY intellectual property?

Your "What if you...?" argument falls on deaf ears, with me, because all that I see is unequal treatment under the law.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #36
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Yes, it is, but let me run something by you here. What if you were a photographer, who used recordable media to send images to your clients, but were forced to pay a 'levy' to the recording and movie industries on every blank CD/DVD that you purchased?

You see that's the position, that we're in, here in Canada. My work gets ripped off, just like theirs does. I have no recourse other than petitioning the thieves for redress, or suing them. I don't get any of that money, that's pinched from me when I buy blanks. I don't get to 'opt out' of paying it, for my legitimate use of blank recording media.

Here, in Canada, none of the illegal downloading cases have been successful, since the day that the industry managed to have that levy passed into law. The reasoning is that they asked for a way that they could be paid, for those illegal downloads, and the GOT IT. So of course, now, they want changes in the law so that they get two bites at the apple. All well and good, but what about protection for MY intellectual property?

Your "What if you...?" argument falls on deaf ears, with me, because all that I see is unequal treatment under the law.
See, this works a lot better as an explanation than "What if someone stole your motorcycle"

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:22 PM   #37
fujimoh
Kneedragger

Moto: CBR 1000RR

Quote:

So you should clearly understand the need to protect personal and intellectual property.

I don't understand what the "levy" on recording media has to do with the theft of intellectual property.

This thread is about whether it is fair for people to pirate copyrighted material. If people are using your work without your permission or paying you royalties, you ought to feel the way I do that it is illegal and the thieves should be prosecuted.

Explain to me what that has to do with paying a surcharge on blank media like CD/DVD.
fujimoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #38
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujimoh View Post
So you should clearly understand the need to protect personal and intellectual property.

I don't understand what the "levy" on recording media has to do with the theft of intellectual property.

This thread is about whether it is fair for people to pirate copyrighted material. If people are using your work without your permission or paying you royalties, you ought to feel the way I do that it is illegal and the thieves should be prosecuted.

Explain to me what that has to do with paying a surcharge on blank media like CD/DVD.
You don't understand? And here I thought that I had laid it out quite clearly. In Canada it isn't theft to download music/movies, because it's already paid for. Despite that, there is no such protection for people like me. It isn't about protection of intellectual property, but rather about toadying to business.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:39 PM   #39
fujimoh
Kneedragger

Moto: CBR 1000RR

Quote:
You don't understand? And here I thought that I had laid it out quite clearly. In Canada it isn't theft to download music/movies, because it's already paid for. Despite that, there is no such protection for people like me. It isn't about protection of intellectual property, but rather about toadying to business.
You don't have copyright or patent protections in Canada? You are right, I don't understand. I don't live in Canada and I don't believe this set of prosecutions is in Canada. But instead of trying to help me understand or educate me, instead posters on this thread are just acting like snarky aholes
fujimoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #40
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

That's it...
I can't contribute in this thread anymore until I start seeing some informed opinions.

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/

until then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote