Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-29-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Default 403b/401k question

Just wanted to see what you guys thought about this. I have a possible job offer for an Er up in the bronx (going from one ghetto to another ) now I am suppose to speak to the director today as far as the job itself but my freind who works there tells me the job is prety much mine if I want it (expierenced ER PA's who are willing to work only nights seem to be a rare commodity)

Now being a creature of habit I am a bit hesitant about making the jump but thats something I need to deal with. Now part of my decision making process is the retirement plans. I am assuming they have a 401k there that i would roll my money into from my 403b acct at the hospital now. My question is would it be worth doing now since a lot of my investment sare a little on the down side since the economy is in the crapper. Someone said I may be able ot leave my 403b and start a new 401k and roll it over later. Just wanted to see what thoughts everyone had on this.

The state 403b acct is prety good, between the hospital matching part of my contribution and having a supplimental acct where I am contributing another 15500 a year into it or what ever the max is now.

tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

i know nothing about a 403b acct but, I know if you change jobs with a 401k involved you have a few months to roll it over into another acct.

would working in the bronx be a better position for you?
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

you should be able to keep the 403b plan and roll it over when you feel like it.

However..I'd just roll it all over now. Markets have stabilized. Just make sure you set up the properly for your age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

i don't think you can bringyour 403b into a 401k account.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Mty wife has a 401K acct from 6 years ago sitting around collecting dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #6
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
i know nothing about a 403b acct but, I know if you change jobs with a 401k involved you have a few months to roll it over into another acct.

would working in the bronx be a better position for you?
In some ways its a lateral move. I need to see if the money is substantially better, lookin gfor at least 10k a year more than i am getting now with night differential. Upside is its only 3 12hr shifts a week, seems like decent sick/vacation time. The bummer is I have ot cross a bridge/pay a toll to get to work(but I do that quite a bit with the side jobs and this ER is nearby so going from one to another will be quite easy. Also leaving my house to get to the bronx around 5;30 or 6pm doesnt look promising with traffic so thats something to consider.

I believe a 403b is like a 401k but the money I contribute now eases my tax hit now. When i file it sets my gross as 15500 less than what it is.

Tom
Old 07-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
shmike
Follower

Whether the investments are up or down shouldn't really have any bearing on if you roll your acct or not.

If you have more that the minimum amount ($5k for most plans) at your current employer, you can leave it there and start a new 401k at the new place. Just because you can roll it doesn't mean you need to or it makes sense to.

My decision would be based on which funds are offered by the various plans. If your current 403b has better fund options, leave what you have there. If the new plan has better fund options, it may be worth while to roll everything over.

Congrats on maxing out your plan. The Max this year is $16,500. Remember that is how much YOU can contribute, all employer contributions are on top of that.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:59 AM   #8
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Whether the investments are up or down shouldn't really have any bearing on if you roll your acct or not.

If you have more that the minimum amount ($5k for most plans) at your current employer, you can leave it ther and start a new 401k at the new place.

My decision would be based on which funds are offered by the various plans. If your current 403b has better fund options, leave what you have there. If the new plan has better fund options, it may be worth while to roll everything over.

Congrats on maxing out your plan. The Max this year is $16,500. Remember that is how much YOU can contribute, all employer contributions are on top of that.
Non taxable. You can contribute after tax as much as you want.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:59 AM   #9
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post

If you have more that the minimum amount ($5k for most plans) at your current employer, you can leave it ther and start a new 401k at the new place.

I couldnt remember if it was 15 or 16,500 either way I know I am maxed out since I have to go see the benefits people each december to reset things for the upcomming year.

otm
Old 07-29-2009, 11:07 AM   #10
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Non taxable. You can contribute after tax as much as you want.