Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Old 11-26-2009, 12:10 PM   #21
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Heck of a trip planned and I can't wait for the return report, it should be titled "The Chronicles of Ebbs" lol. I know to expect some killer pics from your trip, can't wait to see them
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:19 PM   #22
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post
Heck of a trip planned and I can't wait for the return report, it should be titled "The Chronicles of Ebbs" lol. I know to expect some killer pics from your trip, can't wait to see them
it's only a couple days... no epic journey... but should be entertaining for me... and possibly provide some cool photos for you guys...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #23
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Particle, its one thing to go out for a few hours in the cold, you just jump in the shower to warm up.

If you've done any real distance in feezing temps, then I'm impressed. Anything near freezing and I stiffen up and become practically useless.

I can go around town, but if you start packing the miles on, that's when the difference comes into play. There's nothing like being hypothermuc on a bike. You're bordering on being intoxicated.
Two of my buddies have done the London On to ottawa trip in 1-2 degree weather, and they were fine(without winter clothes).
Old 11-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #24
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
Two of my buddies have done the London On to ottawa trip in 1-2 degree weather, and they were fine(without winter clothes).
They're better men than I. I tried to go to Moncton to meet Redrider in 5c.I made it 30 minutes to the airport before I started to become a danger to myself and those on the road around me. I stopped and warmed up for an hour, before I made the half hour trip back and hopped straight into the shower until I stopped shivering.

I'm not saying it's not possible. Shoving a watermelon up your ass is possible if you have the resolve to do it. But, who'd want to??

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
but 101 was talking about the bike... that's what Partical was replying to...

I know it'll be cold... but I think I'll be fine... I'll have several layers on, three of which are wind proof.

now that I think about it....

I've done a couple hours on snow machines (snow mobile) in AK.. in -15*... doing 50mph with bursts up to 70mph... I was fine... had thermals, sweats, over pants and jacket liner and shell on. balaclava, gloves with liners... and that's it.

I was really surprised I wasn't cold... course that was more cardio work than just sitting on the bike too... so who knows.

I don't expect to hit the REAL cold till north of Omaha anyhow. I'm not seriously worried about the cold... just a bad snow storm.
Gotcha, misunderstanding on my behalf. The bike will be fine once its at operating temp.

Edit: I used to ride on the back of snowmobiles all the time with nothing more than a small jacket and jeans on. It's hardly the same. The trees block the wind, you go fairly slow when you're not in wide open areas. And you rarely do the kind of distance on a sled that you would on a motorcycle.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:02 PM   #25
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Huh?!? That's a quarter of my riding year and I have never had a problem... Can you elaborate on this a bit?

With the right weight oil and making sure lubrication is up to date, I can't see how riding below 32F has any adverse impact on anything but the rider... If a bearing siezes up or something it probably wasn't in the best shape to begin with and cold may just throw it over the edge so I totally agree that up-to-date maintenence is a must...

I'm not trying to be a dick, just trying to understand this comment given how much time I've spent riding in temps around 18-20F.
Some dude that works for Honda R and D said that one time. I'm not saying it doesn't work, but it is not tested in those temperatures vs. say automobiles which are usually tested as low as -40F (at least GM did).

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:03 PM   #26
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Edit: I used to ride on the back of snowmobiles all the time with nothing more than a small jacket and jeans on. It's hardly the same. The trees block the wind, you go fairly slow when you're not in wide open areas. And you rarely do the kind of distance on a sled that you would on a motorcycle.
well yeah... the more I thought about it... the cardio is what kept me warm... maybe I just need to do a bit of Rae's motorcyle yoga

but where I rode the sled there were no trees... it's all open with little hills to jump... so you're not going under 30mph much... so much fuck'n fun though... I miss it!
Old 11-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #27
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
....as for riding below 32*... your bike maybe...
Shit I won't ride below 60F. LOL...except for commuting to work.

Quote:
...last... I've got a back up plan. My girlfriend will be coming from Rapid on the 23rd... and my truck (which still hasn't sold) will be waiting for me in Omaha. I'll throw the bike in the back and drive up. or if it's sold by then my girlfriend will come pick me up and I'll leave the bike at my brothers in Omaha....
So now you're going to stop in Omaha and drive up? Now ur just being a pussy.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #28
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Shit I won't ride below 60F. LOL...except for commuting to work.

So now you're going to stop in Omaha and drive up? Now ur just being a pussy.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:01 PM   #29
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
They're better men than I. I tried to go to Moncton to meet Redrider in 5c.I made it 30 minutes to the airport before I started to become a danger to myself and those on the road around me. I stopped and warmed up for an hour, before I made the half hour trip back and hopped straight into the shower until I stopped shivering.

I'm not saying it's not possible. Shoving a watermelon up your ass is possible if you have the resolve to do it. But, who'd want to??
I never said I would do it.

Maybe I should ask them how they feel about watermelons.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #30
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Just got this stuff ordered:

Still gotta order my HID kit, probably gonna order a jet kit (bike is very lean from the factory... which makes it a pain to start cold)

gotta fab up something to keep the cortech bags off my exhaust. this will probably be their last trip. POS bags anyways.