Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-23-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom
Default 7 states, 1 Canadian province, 4 days

This was a very last minute, barely planned trip. I hit the road later Thursday morning than I wanted to for a couple reasons. One, I decided to take the trip on Tuesday after I found out my ex was refusing to let me have my daughter for 5 days straight. I was pissed and just needed to get away from life for awhile. This was a great way to do it.

I went to Gander Mountain Wednesday night to pick up a few things. Opted to NOT buy a sleeping bag because I already had one. However, while packing the bike on Wednesday night (after midnight), I discovered my old sleeping bag didn't roll down very tight and took up too much space. So, I waited till Gander Mountain opened up Thurs morning and went and bought a fleece bag. It's not much of a sleeping bag, but it's perfect for summer temps.

I hit the road about 9:45am Thursday and rode up to Chicago to meet my cousin for lunch. Stopped in Kentland, IN for a couple photos of a windfarm.

Had a great lunch in Chicago with my cousin. Ate at a deli and the sandwich was huge. I could only eat half of it. Unfortunately, it had mayo on it, so I didn't want to take it with me on the bike. Would have loved to eat the rest of it later. Took a couple pics of downtown Chicago (what I could see of it from the street) before hitting the road.

Continued on to New London, WI to visit with a friend of mine. I was running short on time, so opted to bypass the Harley Museum in Milwaukee. My friend took me to a place called "The Tree Stand" for dinner and drinks. I had the duck, she had the buffalo. Both were excellent. We also had Old Fashioneds to drink, which were great. I got on the road from her place the next morning about 8am and took my time since I only had about 5 hours of continuous riding that day. Stopped to get a pic by a farm in rural WI.

Rode through the UP, stopping for a pic next to Lake MI, then some others of a lighthouse in Escanaba, MI. The town was very small, but was definitely a beautiful little town.

I stopped at "The Mystery Spot" a few miles west of St. Ignace, MI. This is a one of those "optical illusion tourist traps" where the walls and floors are built on weird angles. I stopped because they had zip lines and I wanted to try that. The zip line only cost $15, but you got a $5 discount if you bought the $7 tour of "The Mystery Spot," which made the tour only $2. So, I figured I'd go on the tour. It was okay for $2. LOL The zip line was about 800 feet long and was a blast. Sorry, didn't take any pics.

The weather was getting bad so I headed to Foley Creek, which is a National Forest campground. Set up camp, including a portable hammock that packs up to about the size of a softball.

Headed into St. Ignace to hit up the Mackinac Grille. The perch was outstanding. Thanks goes out to Gas Man for sending the text and to Caveman for making the suggestion.

While eating dinner, a bad storm rolled through. Got back to camp and climbed into the tent during a short break in the storm. Noticed a small bit of water inside the tent. Oh well, still gotta sleep. It continued to rain throughout the night and I woke up to wet feet and a wet head. I had no time to let things dry out, as I had a long ride ahead of me down to Niagara Falls. So, I just packed up a wet tent and got on the road.

Stopped for a pic before crossing the Mackinac Bridge.

Took 75 south to Flint, then headed east through Ontario. I stopped for gas in Flint and I hope, for the sake of the town, that I just happened to stop in a bad area. At least 75% of the places were boarded up and buildings were in bad shape. I didn't hang around any longer than necessary. Stopped for a pic of the bridge heading into Canada.

And a pic of the border.

Got to the border and got grilled by the guard. He asked why I was visiting Canada and I told him I was heading across to see Niagara Falls. He then asked, "What's over there?" Wow, these guys must think people are really stupid! He asked me at least 10 to 15 questions about where I was going, where I had been, what was in the bags on the bike, what I do for a living, etc. He finally let me go through. I guess I looked suspicious.

After getting through, I rode across Ontario, and have to say that I was surprised at the amount of livestock up there. I didn't see a lot of them, but I smelled them all the way across the province! There wasn't much of anything except farmland on this stretch. I stopped near London at a 50's diner and had a chicken sandwich with cheese and canadian bacon. Very good sandwich and the place was interesting. I felt like I'd traveled back in time.

Last edited by Captain Morgan; 08-23-2010 at 03:56 PM..
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote