Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 12-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #11
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destitute View Post
Did you guys miss the part where they were on break? These were public (and probably union) employees.

Private ones would have refused to help for fear of being sued or fired. How were they supposed to verify her insurance status? You don't have the right to not die if your premium isn't up to date.

Or the govt death panel weighed in on a moment's notice. I think that about covers it.
Whatever. I saw a documented case of a kid who suffered brain damage and needed emergency brain surgery that a hospital wasn't prepared to do. They tried to get an ambulance to come to their hospital and go 5 miles to the other hospital that was set up but they weren't allowed to because they were government ran ambulances and weren't allowed to simply "transport". They literally had to call 911 to get an ambulance there.

I think those guys are sorry bastards (and probalby government) but what if they did do something and then she died. Being they were on break (or not even at work) could they then be sued or somehow punished for taking action?

It's scary to do anything these days due to fear of being sued or blamed for trying to help.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:14 PM   #12
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
It's scary to do anything these days due to fear of being sued or blamed for trying to help.
Truth and it sucks

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #13
Dragonpaco
Alleged Puppy Pimper

Moto: Shadow 750 Ace

Quote:
Being they were on break (or not even at work) could they then be sued or somehow punished for taking action?
nope, they cant be sued as long as they stay within their scope of practice. i forget what the term for it is, which is strange because my medical law and ethics teacher drilled it into our heads for a whole semester. the only thing you have to do is ask the patient if you can help them, and silence counts as yes in this country
Opinions are nothing like assholes, opinions are like vaginas, less then half of everyone has one, everyone else uses one that isn't their own, and there is no better way to fit in or be cast out than to share yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
I don't give a fuck if it's Hitler cake, it's still CAKE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
You can come back here with me after the rally and do it!!!
Dragonpaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #14
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco View Post
and silence counts as yes in this country

But ONLY in for medical reasons. Just sayin'.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #15
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destitute View Post
Obviously. Unless they have a very good explanation for not helping, they should lose their certification(s) and employment.

I'm going to get you a sarcasm detector for Christmas.
Agreed and glad to see it was sarcasm...hard to tell sometimes.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #16
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Perhaps these were simply lazy indifferent deutchbags who in a moment of cold indifference dealing with the worst areas of NYC allowed their Union issued sense of entitlement to overshadow the reasons why they are EMTs in the first place.

Low pay + Union issued sense of entitlement + dealing with idiots and ghetto trash = Donuts > a womans life.

Its cute and all that some want to make it seem like this is part of there pet peeve issue of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #17
Dragonpaco
Alleged Puppy Pimper

Moto: Shadow 750 Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
But ONLY in for medical reasons. Just sayin'.
i paid the price to learn that, and that is why i'm never allowed at the petting zoo again
Opinions are nothing like assholes, opinions are like vaginas, less then half of everyone has one, everyone else uses one that isn't their own, and there is no better way to fit in or be cast out than to share yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
I don't give a fuck if it's Hitler cake, it's still CAKE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
You can come back here with me after the rally and do it!!!
Dragonpaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #18
tommymac
Moto GP Star

One article says they worked behind desks and were there getting something to eat. At first they made it sound like they had a bus just outside and took off, but they coul dhave went back upostairs or made a call to get the proper people/equipment there.

I ma curious if they will announce the actual cause of death also may not help in th elawsuit since if it was a large PE she prolly would have died anyway, but the shady lawyers can play the what if game.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:35 PM   #19
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
One article says they worked behind desks and were there getting something to eat. At first they made it sound like they had a bus just outside and took off, but they coul dhave went back upostairs or made a call to get the proper people/equipment there.
I was wondering that. "Allegedly refused" may have meant "Sorry but we can't do anything". Especially being they are office workers. Someone may have also already called 911 too. If she was having trouble breathing and they didn't have any equipment I don't know what they could have done unless they grabbed a knife and straw from the kitchen and performed a tracheotomy.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:36 AM   #20
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I was wondering that. "Allegedly refused" may have meant "Sorry but we can't do anything". Especially being they are office workers. Someone may have also already called 911 too. If she was having trouble breathing and they didn't have any equipment I don't know what they could have done unless they grabbed a knife and straw from the kitchen and performed a tracheotomy.
They would def be out of a job if they did something like that.

I think what paco is referring to are the good samaratin laws, which basically means you dont HAVE to do anything to help someone aside from offer to help and do what any layperson would do which is call 911. This is to protect them from being sued, which is sad but its what society has become.

They are already suspended without pay and FDNY and the mayor are already trying ot ostracize them, I guess in preparation for all the lawsuits that will come of this.

There are still a lot of facts that havent come out yet esp since its the girls mother who is getting all the face time on the news and she wasnt there, so I am curious to see how all this shakes out.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote