Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 06-11-2008, 02:22 PM   #21
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
havent read it yet, but next week from tuesday through sunday, ill be there, we have s study site in townsend and im going ot be camping at deals gap since they are reasonably close and cheap, ill get my milage paid for, camping paid for and food all recomped... not to mention being at the dragon during the week at night
Be warned that is Honda Hoot and R1/R6 rally week. It's going to be bad that week. I chose to stay away for just the R1/R6 rally. With both of them there this year, it's going to be hell on earth. I would also recommend reserve where you want to camp now. Knoxville and the surrounding area gets flooded with bikes during the Honda Hoot. Add in the McCoys and their squidly forum members and you have a recipe for disaster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #22
Mrs. Colleen
Leather and Lace

Moto: 2005 R6

That is how I always imagined the Dragon to be...except for the 30 mph speed limit, I did not know that!

We have a stretch of road around here that I am working my way up to. My husband goes with his buddy as much as he can. He said this last trip was the first time he ever saw a cop up there...and it was a SUV cop on the side of the road wondering around in the dirt...not traffic related.

Oh and the other great thing...there is a speed limit sign that says "End 45 mph zone" and from then on there is no speed limit...within safe limits I guess.

When the hubby and my newbie-ass go riding we do the 192 to the 50 and then head home. The 33 is the road I am working towards and it is right after the 50...for those that may know the area.
Mrs. Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #23
pickle.of.doom
el diablo de verde

Moto: VTR, CBR, DRZSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
blue hairs, nature enthusiasts, hunters, fishing, kayakers, and various other outdoors minded people vacationed here long before motorcyclists. It's home to the appalachain trail and all kinds of other outdoor activities. The GSMNP is one of the most visited parks in the country if not the most visited.
Everything around the gap is tied to motorcycles and the road though. Hunters and fishers aren't going to keep every hotel in the area full all summer long. You aren't going to pay extra money for a room with a bike garage attached to sight see some wildlife. You aren't going to stop at wheelers to get some windshield washer fluid for the RV and 36 more rolls of film. You know it would be a huge hit to the local economy if motorcyclists didn't flock there.

WOS Forums
pickle.of.doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #24
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle.of.doom View Post
Everything around the gap is tied to motorcycles and the road though. Hunters and fishers aren't going to keep every hotel in the area full all summer long. You aren't going to pay extra money for a room with a bike garage attached to sight see some wildlife. You aren't going to stop at wheelers to get some windshield washer fluid for the RV and 36 more rolls of film. You know it would be a huge hit to the local economy if motorcyclists didn't flock there.
Actually I think cagers are going to push motorcycles out of this area as tourism keeps exploding in the area especially with the travel price crunch that is going on with cost of travel growing and more and more people looking to easy trips. Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/Cherokee/Maggie Valley/Townsend is creating a huge spilloff to other areas. Motorcycle tourism is very minimal in the area when you consider the immediate area around this very small section of road. Most profitability in the direct area is pretty much all related to cruiser riders and very little to sportbikers at all. Which is very evident by DGMR putting in fake tennis courts so they can be classified as a resort so they can serve beer to that crowd. Even DGMR's profits aren't that great at all compared to other tourism in the immediate area and as the spilloff grows, the direction of these locations will direct their attention to those groups which offer the greater profit. The law enforcement of the area will expand driving out motorcyclists and bringing in more leaf lookers and nature people. The golden age of the gap is done. For those that got to experience it, it was awesome. For those that didn't get a chance, enjoy what you can while you can.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #25
pickle.of.doom
el diablo de verde

Moto: VTR, CBR, DRZSM

Well, until they tear the road down, nothing is going to keep people from coming.

WOS Forums
pickle.of.doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #26
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle.of.doom View Post
Well, until they tear the road down, nothing is going to keep people from coming.
I think they will eventually either do that if I-3 ever gets built or eventually we could see speed cameras or something similar to end the man power they have to throw up there every weekend. I don't see how they can keep throwing money at that place with all the gas it costs and manpower you have to take from other areas of the state to patrol it as much as they do. They haven't written nearly as many tickets to cover the cost of them being there this year.
Quote:
Old 06-11-2008, 08:05 PM   #27
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

yah, i thought about staying & riding over the weekend, but the roads here are awesome and no cops

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #28
t-homo
WSB Champion

I want to go at some point, no matter how bad the tourism gets. Even if I'm not riding hard, I still love to cruise through beautiful scenery, which there seems to be tons of.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:12 PM   #29
rider76
Canyon Carver

Moto: looking for the next ride

I have been alot of places in this world but this is not one them... Someday I will make down there.....
rider76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #30
t-homo
WSB Champion

Well shit. If you are still in StL in a year or so, lets do that shit.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote