Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 12-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
udman
You are not the Man!!

Moto: Hawk GT
Default I know it's kind of weird because I'm black

Black college student sparks debate by hanging Confederate flag in dorm room, says 'I know it's kind of weird because I'm black'
Byron Thomas says the flag's real meaning has been hijacked

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

COLUMBIA, S.C. — A black college student who drew complaints for displaying a Confederate flag in his dorm room window said he sees the banner as a symbol of Southern pride and not racism.

The 19-year-old student at the University of South Carolina Beaufort took the flag down at the university's request, but he said he's considering putting it back up after the officials relented. Byron Thomas has drawn nearly 70,000 views since he posted a video online in which he acknowledges: "I know it's kind of weird because I'm black."

In a telephone interview Thursday, Thomas said a class research project made him come to the belief that the flag's real meaning has been hijacked. He said he wants people to thoughtfully consider issues of race and not just knee-jerk reactions to such symbols.

"When I look at this flag, I don't see racism. I see respect, Southern pride," he said. "This flag was seen as a communication symbol" during the Civil War.

He said university officials asked him to take the banner down just before Thanksgiving after students and parents complained when it was seen by them on campus tours, but have since told him he can put it back up.

The freshman from North Augusta said his generation can eliminate the flag's negative power by adopting the banner as a symbol of Southern pride.

"I've been getting a lot of support from people. My generation is interested in freedom of speech," Thomas said.

But Thomas says his parents don't like the flag and he's concerned about their point of view, particularly since they pay his bills.

"I don't want to make my parents mad," he said. "I may wait until Monday to put it up."

He said he's unhappy about such things as labels, and he doesn't like the term "African-American," which makes him feel like "a half-citizen," since he wasn't born in Africa.

Thomas' roommate Blane Reed, who is white, said in a separate telephone interview that he never heard any complaints after Thomas put the flag up shortly after Labor Day. Each student has a separate bedroom and share living space with three others, the 18-year-old from Walhalla, S.C., said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeB-b...ayer_embedded#!
Old 12-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

And the swastika was the most widely used religious symbol prior to the Nazi's... people are fucking stupid and want to assign simplistic meaning to certain symbols, words, etc...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKn6c...eature=related

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
I love that skit... The best part is the end when it says he divorces his wife LMFAO...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by udman View Post
Black college student sparks debate by hanging Confederate flag in dorm room, says 'I know it's kind of weird because I'm black'
Byron Thomas says the flag's real meaning has been hijacked

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

COLUMBIA, S.C. — A black college student who drew complaints for displaying a Confederate flag in his dorm room window said he sees the banner as a symbol of Southern pride and not racism.

The 19-year-old student at the University of South Carolina Beaufort took the flag down at the university's request, but he said he's considering putting it back up after the officials relented. Byron Thomas has drawn nearly 70,000 views since he posted a video online in which he acknowledges: "I know it's kind of weird because I'm black."

In a telephone interview Thursday, Thomas said a class research project made him come to the belief that the flag's real meaning has been hijacked. He said he wants people to thoughtfully consider issues of race and not just knee-jerk reactions to such symbols.

"When I look at this flag, I don't see racism. I see respect, Southern pride," he said. "This flag was seen as a communication symbol" during the Civil War.

He said university officials asked him to take the banner down just before Thanksgiving after students and parents complained when it was seen by them on campus tours, but have since told him he can put it back up.

The freshman from North Augusta said his generation can eliminate the flag's negative power by adopting the banner as a symbol of Southern pride.

"I've been getting a lot of support from people. My generation is interested in freedom of speech," Thomas said.

But Thomas says his parents don't like the flag and he's concerned about their point of view, particularly since they pay his bills.

"I don't want to make my parents mad," he said. "I may wait until Monday to put it up."

He said he's unhappy about such things as labels, and he doesn't like the term "African-American," which makes him feel like "a half-citizen," since he wasn't born in Africa.

Thomas' roommate Blane Reed, who is white, said in a separate telephone interview that he never heard any complaints after Thomas put the flag up shortly after Labor Day. Each student has a separate bedroom and share living space with three others, the 18-year-old from Walhalla, S.C., said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvBbD...eature=related

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 12-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
pauldun170
Serious Business

In all seriousness, despite the inherent dumbassery in sticking up for the doucheflag and some other details...kids attitude is a good step.

Quote:
Old 12-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

I still laugh a naval flag gets this much shit. It wasn't even the national flag, it was a sideshow. You could probably run around with the first confederate flag and no one would have a fucking clue what it was...

Last edited by Trip; 12-02-2011 at 03:21 PM..
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Kids got a good head on his shoulders
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Kids got a good head on his shoulders
And a stupid flag in his window.

JC
Old 12-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #10
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Can someone explain to me, what it is exactly that southerners are so proud of?

It seems to be the only point of the compass that has it's own "pride" movement.

JC