Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell > Cage Tech

Old 09-26-2009, 01:10 AM   #1
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650
Default My car is stuttering and shaking

Its stutters when i take off from a stop and now its stutters/shakes and rocks when i am at a stop. This went on about 6 months ago and then i changed my spark plugs and went away and it just started up again.

Any ideas of what it can be?

I have a 94 corolla, 150k miles.

Thanks!
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:18 AM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Ignition Control Module, Distributor Cap, Change the Plugs, Air filter, Fuel Filter, idle Control Motor, Vacuum Lines. Any one of those or a combination.

The ignition control module, distributor cap, and spark plugs are my first thought, shouldnt be more than $200 if you pay a mechanic to do it, half if you DIY. After that check the air and fuel filter which probably need replacing anyway, and I vaugley remember a weird shaped vac line going around the back of the engine that most mechanics would have replaced with a foot of regular vac line instead of the curves piece from the manufacturer, which causes it to rub instead of curving around a bracket.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:52 AM   #3
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

^^^Just stick to Army stuff. LOL

IAC Motor has nothing to do with shuttering once the throttle is cracked open. Don't replace the ignition module, its not a component that wears out.

Replace the following with Either NGK or Denso parts:
1. Spark Plugs
2. Spark Plug Wires
3. Distributor Cap and Rotor

If the thing still shakes upon take off, you are going to have to take it somewhere to see if a specific cylinder is misfiring or if its random. It could be a bad fuel injector, bad coil, plugged converter, low compression on a cylinder etc. etc. etc. I would drive it, but you live too far away.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:58 AM   #4
Tsunami
Pug Queen

101, if I replaced the plugs and the wires 6 months ago, can it be bad already?

you don't think its the air filter? I just got my oil changed on Tuesday and they supposedly looked at the air filter and shook it out, and today especially when i came to a stop, it was just shaking all over the place!

Ugghh i hate not knowing anything about cars. I have the manual but its kind of hard to troubleshoot when i have no idea what to look for.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:22 AM   #5
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

I want to say cracked vacuum line or bad spark plug wire. I know you said that you are not mechanically adept but with the car running try spaying some carb cleaner around the vac lines and see if this affects the motor idle. It seems that there is a vac module that controls idle/fast idle on these cars. The fact that it's getting progressively worse suggests something along these lines. Also because the engine was just fiddled with during your oil change may have exacerbated the condition. If you're lucky, you just have a crack on the end of a line which can be cut off and re-attached. I wouldn't run out and buy a bunch of parts just yet. Also, the fuel filter or even the fuel pump are suspect in my mind. For your own piece of mind, try taking out the air filter and see if it affects the condition. You have nothing to lose but a few minutes of your time.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:29 AM   #6
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
I would drive it, but you live too far away.
Totally missed that. Isn't Corona a couple of hours away? I remember driving by there last year and thinking, Oh 101 lives here!
Old 09-26-2009, 03:32 AM   #7
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I want to say cracked vacuum line or bad spark plug wire. I know you said that you are not mechanically adept but with the car running try spaying some carb cleaner around the vac lines and see if this affects the motor idle. It seems that there is a vac module that controls idle/fast idle on these cars. The fact that it's getting progressively worse suggests something along these lines. Also because the engine was just fiddled with during your oil change may have exacerbated the condition. If you're lucky, you just have a crack on the end of a line which can be cut off and re-attached. I wouldn't run out and buy a bunch of parts just yet. Also, the fuel filter or even the fuel pump are suspect in my mind. For your own piece of mind, try taking out the air filter and see if it affects the condition. You have nothing to lose but a few minutes of your time.
I have no idea what a vacuum line is or where my air filter is...I guess the manual and I will be spending some quality time together.

I could ask the creepy asian guy that lives 5 feet away from me, he owns a shop around the corner and gave me his card. But he's creepy...and he may want to put a big spoiler on the back of my car and a bobblehead on my dashboard.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:24 AM   #8
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
I have no idea what a vacuum line is or where my air filter is...I guess the manual and I will be spending some quality time together.

I could ask the creepy asian guy that lives 5 feet away from me, he owns a shop around the corner and gave me his card. But he's creepy...and he may want to put a big spoiler on the back of my car and a bobblehead on my dashboard.
Haha! That's a good one! The thing is baby, you will NEVER become capable of working on your own car until and unless you try! You have to start some where! If you lift the hood, the vac lines are small, black hoses that generally run from the fuel injection system.

On this picture, the guy has painted his "air box" red. It is on the right and is the piece with the large hose/tube coming out of it. The cover is usually held on with a few screws or clips. The clips can be popped with a screwdriver or even a butter knife. If you follow that "hose" to the left, you'll see that it connects to a "valve" which is the throttle body. The throttle body has a couple cables coming off of it and some small hoses which are vacuum lines. From there it goes to the fuel injection system which is that "box" to the left. Also, if you look at the top of the engine, you'll see four wires coming out of it, which are the spark plug wires. I want you to visually inspect them for any cracks and see if they are possibly loose where they plug in to the engine or at the ignition module (the black box between the air box and engine), it's unlikely that your car has a distributor cap. Just make sure that they aren't loose or obviously cracked.

If you are feeling really brave, the throttle body has an idle adjustment screw that can be turned to speed up your idle and possibly end you problems. If you look at the throttle body closely, you will see that the cables are attached to a "wheel". The screw controls where the "wheel" stops when the cable is released which controls how fast the motor runs when you aren't pushing the pedal (idle). Now all you have to do is turn that screw 1/4 turn clockwise increments and see if you situation improves. I would do this with the car running but if you are uncomfortable with that, just turn the screw a 1/4, start the car. If it's better good, if not try again. I would not go over one or two full turns. If this doesn't help, I'd try your Asian friend. The steps I have outlined to you are basic and will not harm your car in any way. If adjusting the screw doesn't help, keep track of how much you turned it and just put it back.

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 09-26-2009 at 04:30 AM..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #9
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

My guess would be the engine mounts. At that age, the rubber in them is probably disintegrating. A lot of front engine cars will have a mount that goes over or under the radiator to prevent fore/aft rocking. Since that's the way the engine rotates, it can make a lot of noise.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #10
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

let me ask something simple, that nobody else has. do you have a check engine light on the dash lit up? if so, have autozone pull the codes and see whats going on. THEN fix the problem rather than grasp at straws.

its possible that you have a bad engine mount, shitty spark plugs, maybe buy gas at a shitty station, have a vacuum leak, or several other potential issues. I'd start simple though and evaluate the condition of the vac lines.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote