Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 07-31-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R
Default Plug/patch combos?

Anybody have a "how to"? It's not exactly rocket science, but I would prefer to do it properly the first time.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
Rider
Moto GP Star

Just be safe and replace the tire.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:56 AM   #3
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Just be safe and replace the tire.
No.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
Rider
Moto GP Star

It's cheap insurance man. Just looking out for you, but you do whatever you want.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:19 AM   #5
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

I ran the tire with just a plug in it for over a thousand miles of hard riding. Then I replaced it with a Corsa III.

Now that it's off, I'm patchign it the way the MANUFACTURER reccomends, and the same way my local shop charges $30 for.

With the plug/patch the the hole is blocked by a wire reinforced plug, and a inch or so diameter patch.

The force required to remove just the plug was nuts considering it was basically cooked into the tire, I had to use vice grips to get enough grip on it to take it out from the inside, and the internal loop almost guarantees it won't be pushed to the outside of the tire.

I understand that you've been led to believe they're unsafe, and you're free to believe that completely. I, however, trust them 100%. And the $5 it's going to cost me to fix it, is marginally cheaper than a new rear.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

I've seen the patch/plug deal you're talking about. I'd feel perfectly safe with one of those in my tire honestly. takes a helluva lot of effort, much much moreso than any road forces could exert to remove it, so its just fine.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
I've seen the patch/plug deal you're talking about. I'd feel perfectly safe with one of those in my tire honestly. takes a helluva lot of effort, much much moreso than any road forces could exert to remove it, so its just fine.
How can you be sure the plug is that same compound as the tire? When you are talking about a contact patch the size of a credit card, a 1 inch diameter plug is a large portion of that contact patch. If it was the same compound I'd feel safer......
Old 07-31-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
How can you be sure the plug is that same compound as the tire? When you are talking about a contact patch the size of a credit card, a 1 inch diameter plug is a large portion of that contact patch. If it was the same compound I'd feel safer......
Why does the plug have to be the same compound? I get pebbles embedded in my tires, they don't knock me over.

The plug goes through from the inside, the patch is inside, and both of them have glue, friction, air pressure, and vulcanization holding them in place.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

search youtube

the patch may be a inch diameter, but the plug isnt. its way smaller. if u got a inch diameter hole in your tire, u mustve shot at it or something lol, think about it.

this is safe-even the outside plug is safe, the plug patch deal is just a perm fix compared to the plug being not touted as perm.

and if u screw it up, oh wow, i have a slow leak. -its not like the tire will spontaneously combust lol

Last edited by Dnyce; 07-31-2009 at 10:49 AM..
Dnyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:53 AM   #10
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Sorry Ed but I also totally trust plug/patch combos, hell I've run just patches and have been fine. Besides, again for the hundredth time, the worst case scenario is that he gets another flat. No "sudden tire failure", no blow out, a flat is the worst that can happen.

Anyway, rough up the interior of the tire, use plenty rubber cement, remove backing, push point through hole, pull with pliers, use something to "roll it out". Cut off excess rubber to about 1/8''. I've seen guys heat gun them but I don't know if it's necessary... I usually let it dry for an hour or so for piece of mind. Reassemble and take off.

I know that a lot of people have been made to believe that motorcycle tires can't be patched... gee I wonder whom perpetuates that rumor? Everyone seems to think that MC tires endure some super extra duress or abuse. You can plug/patch an 18 wheeler tire which far greater stress than a MC tire. As far as "compound" goes, the plug is certain to be softer in any case and it's about 1/16" in diameter...

What always totally kicks my ass is the fact that in every motorcycle shop in the country, the mechanics all have a pile of almost new tires at home from guys replacing tires because of a flat. Every MC tire manufacturer okays plug/patches and they sure wouldn't if there was ANY danger whatsoever.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote