Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 10-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #101
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
What I'm saying is, he's not the norm. He's more of the exception.
This is true, but as the kid points out, he's the exception because of choices and sacrifices he has made. The scholarships are there to those who choose to pursue them, but most people choose to pursue other things. If you treat high school like a social club instead of an institution of learning, chances are you're a 99-percenter. If you choose to take $100K in student loans for an English lit degree, chances are you're a 99-percenter.

Jeff Foxworthy could make a killing here, I'm sure.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #102
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
I'm not saying that his claim isn't impressive. It most certainly is. What I'm saying is, he's not the norm. He's more of the exception.
And that's the problem, which is his entire point. If people would actually TRY and they would watch their spending, we wouldn't be in this mess to begin with. blame it on corporations and banks all you want, but the harsh reality is that people not taking responsibility for their own actions is what got us in this mess in the first place.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #103
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Welcome to udmans thread.
Has been covered already
If I choose to waste my time following two threads about the same topic, chances are I'm a 99-percenter.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #104
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
And that's the problem, which is his entire point. If people would actually TRY and they would watch their spending, we wouldn't be in this mess to begin with. blame it on corporations and banks all you want, but the harsh reality is that people not taking responsibility for their own actions is what got us in this mess in the first place.
But, it can't be MY fault....

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #105
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

but it is the corporations fault that they change the rules and laws in their favor through political contributions, thats the point of the protests more than anything else.

They shouldnt be allowed to anonymously contribute unlimited funds to support their candidates who would obviously be in their favor.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #106
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
I'd say that a lack of responsibility at all levels is what got us into this mess. Corporations, banks (and government) need to get their shit together and make responsible choices just as much as the general public does. Calling the big corporations on their bullshit isn't a bad thing, and can't be accomplished by requiring every protester to have a squeaky-clean Personal Responsibility Background Check. There are plenty of whiners, and there are also plenty of really smart responsible people making noise. Personally, I think the noise is a good thing.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #107
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
However, when the Supreme Court decides that corporations are "people", and can basically buy the government they want, while regular schmucks like you and I, effectively have no say in how this country is run, I think they have a legitimate beef.
Just curious, is there anyone here who agrees with what the SCOTUS did?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #108
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
I wonder what he would have done if there were no jobs, or the jobs college students usually take were being held by long term employees? Or if the scholarships weren't there?

This man is more like the .5%.
He could live in a van down by the river and take student loans to cover his tuition. Or live in a dorm at their school and take on more student loans.

I feel i started out as a 99% or whatever percent person the OWS are claiming to be. I didn't have a HS degree, worked a shitty job that paid me a gross of about $22k a year moving pool tables 6-7days a week. I decided I wanted a better life so I moved back in with my parents and started an even shittier job with less pay but hours that allowed me to have hte weekends to study and go to night classes (often till 10:30pm). I got my GED a short time later and started technical college for rad-tech. Got my pre-reqs done there and went to a summer EMT school in 200 miles away from my home. I had money saved up to pay tuition and sold my S-10 for $1200 to pay for an extended stay and lived on beans and speghetti. After that I decided I wanted to be a doctor or PA. So I got a job as an EMT and then started at a university as a Biochemistry major. I moved in with my fiance (though technically GF becuase I can't afford a ring over tuition) and we share costs. I paid tuition myself and finally got enough hours and a high GPA to get the "HOPE" scholarship which pays most of my stuff. If I didn't have that then I'd take on student loans which I will do when i start med school anyways. i also work shitty graveyard shifts or the weekend to pay for other expenses (like paying the IRS, cell, insurance, water, rent, gas, etc).

It isn't easy but after spending many years working shitty jobs and putting nice pool tables into nice homes (with back problems now because of it). I decided I want that life and fuck it, i'm going to get it.

I personally can't stand all these spoiled fucktards at my school who bitch about the cost of a text-book. Yet they own a MacBook, Ipod, Ipad, new car, take spring break trips to Mexico, and have new clothing. They are the future 47%ers.

Last edited by Smittie61984; 10-13-2011 at 12:59 PM..
Smittie61984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #109
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

$150,000 raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #110
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
$150K?

Even if it was 10 times that, it still wouldn't be worth mentioning.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote