Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Aftermarket Modding

Old 10-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #21
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
2ct's get my vote for spirited rides on the gap and trackdays, pp for canyon rides and weekend trips through the mountains, i tried the m3, liked them alot but perfer the michlien tires...

of and a set of super corsa super dragons for the track if you ever want to spoil yourself

my next set will prolly be a set of pilot road 2's
Get a pr2 rear and a pp front, I hear the pr2 front is not the best combination for twisties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:02 PM   #22
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Get a pr2 rear and a pp front, I hear the pr2 front is not the best combination for twisties.
Thats what Ive heard from a bunch of people on my other forum. The pr2/pp is supposed to work very well though.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:58 PM   #23
jeeps84
No longer MIA

Moto: 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 07 GSXR 750, 07 Harley Davidson Night Train

PPR's front and rear for me. Medium rear and soft front.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:36 PM   #24
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Got some new Metzeler Lasertec's for my GS1000. These are bias-ply and use a tube. With the stock wheels, I can't fit a radial or tube-less tires. The front is a 100/90 V19 and the rear is a 130/90 V17. Just 10mm wider than most front tires on modern bikes. And the 90 percent height gives the tire a very rounded profile.

The bike came stock with IRC tires, but I have used Continental, Michelin, Pirelli, and Metzeler. I've been using the Laser model from Metzeler for about 20 years now. Many of you have probably never seen a block-pattern like that used on the front tire, but it works very well. On the rear, I've used the ME99 and ME55 models. I believe the Lasertec is the same as the ME55. The Metzeler ads say they use a new formula for these tires.

The old Suzuki handles very neutral with the Metzeler's. I like that. I don't go crazy into corners, but I like to power out of them. The GS only makes around 80hp, but has a ton of torque down low. The Metzelers work very well with the gas on and leaned over. Only got 6K out of them and like on my CBR, the front wore out before the rear. Actually, I should have replaced them at 5K. I ride mostly streets and backroads, and rarely take the highway, but I recommend the Lasertecs for older bikes that use bias-ply tires.
[img][/img]
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #25
jeeps84
No longer MIA

Moto: 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 07 GSXR 750, 07 Harley Davidson Night Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
[img][/img]
I think you needed them along time ago.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:50 PM   #26
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeps84 View Post
I think you needed them along time ago.
I did. Luckily it hardly ever rains here. I had them mounted on Friday afternoon and put the wheels on Saturday. Took me two hours, but I measure the chain sag and wheel alignment very carefully, and torque every bolt.

It's like having a new bike with power steering. I always say I'm not going to wait so long to replace my tires, but I always do. At least the tires wore evenly and the cords weren't showing.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:37 PM   #27
jeeps84
No longer MIA

You got your moneys worth out of them.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:10 PM   #28
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Find a buddy who races or does a shitload of trackdays and get his DOT takeoffs (i.e. diablo supercorsa, pilot race, etc) for free/cheap.

They will have tons of meat left in the center and be very cost effective, not to mention great grip for twisties.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:38 AM   #29
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
Find a buddy who races or does a shitload of trackdays and get his DOT takeoffs (i.e. diablo supercorsa, pilot race, etc) for free/cheap.

They will have tons of meat left in the center and be very cost effective, not to mention great grip for twisties.
Honestly, the grip isn't all that great. I haven't run anything but take-offs on my bikes for a couple years now, and I can get the back end to spin up pretty easy on the street. Track specific rubber doesn't get hot enough on the street.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:07 PM   #30
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Honestly, the grip isn't all that great. I haven't run anything but take-offs on my bikes for a couple years now, and I can get the back end to spin up pretty easy on the street. Track specific rubber doesn't get hot enough on the street.
I gotta go with Phi on this one, after running a set of take offs on the street, I wouldnt recommend it. They dont heat up, and with this cooler weather, you apply the brakes even a tad harder than a slow stop and may have to deal with skid city (been there, done that). A hard brake will leave with consequences you dont want to even think about! Now a set of PP's that was run on the track only is a different matter, thats what I used on the Indy trip and they worked great. 2k miles and I saw little wear, still good for many more miles!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote