Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 06-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #11
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
Speaking of front-end removal, what tool is made for loosening the aluminum collars between the top triple clamp and steering stem? I wrapped mine in a rag and cranked them off with a huge set of pliers, but I'm sure there's something specific designed for them.
Steering stem nut wrench.

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/pa...0-2006-07.html
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #12
shmike
Follower

Or: find an old socket that will fit the nut, use a cutoff wheel and make your own.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:06 PM   #13
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Or: find an old socket that will fit the nut, use a cutoff wheel and make your own.
I used a socket and a breaker bar. Here's a site for manuals on line. I don't think there an exact match but you should find some help here.

http://www.repairmanualclub.com/moto...er=ASC&limit=0
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:58 PM   #14
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Traxxion Dynamics is less than an hour from my house. They can do a full rebuild on my forks for $150. Is this appropriate for the work involved?
I would say that is reasonable. I had my forks done last year by an experienced local (1 hour away) guy. Even he had a hard time with my forks because of something, neither Erik or I remember what it was. So I'm glad I didn't try to do it myself.

Quote:
Speaking of front-end removal, what tool is made for loosening the aluminum collars between the top triple clamp and steering stem? I wrapped mine in a rag and cranked them off with a huge set of pliers, but I'm sure there's something specific designed for them.
I don't understand why you need to loosen this to remove forks? My forks just slid out.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:11 PM   #15
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Turns out, the "full rebuild" doesn't include new seals. That's $25 extra. Still having them put in just to be on the safe side, however.

I am installing a 2006 GSX-R750 front-end onto my 2005 SV1000S. The SV's triple clamps are too small for the GSXR fork tubes.
I would pay the extra $25 for new seals. After all that helps keep everything "sealed" up otherwise a new rebuild wouldn't make sense.

Ah. I understand. I figured there was a logical reason you needed them off.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:36 PM   #16
Full Throttle
~Italian Stallion~

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF-R6

Alright Im having a similar problem now. I recently went to the dealer to just have them look over a few small things i was worried about. (didnt need to worry everything was fine) Anyways they went ahead and looked over the whole bike for me and rode it around a little bit and found somethings that i had not noticed. One of my Fork seals has a leak. I need a new Air Filter and a rear tire (well i knew i needed a tire just dont have the cash at the moment lol). So I thought i should try and fix the forks first. I need some help in that field cause ive never done anything like that before. I dont have a lift but i have 2 Car jacks lol so i can get the front wheel off but im not really sure what all i need to do to replace the fluid and the seals. Also im pretty sure its never been done before and its got 19,356 miles on it so it needs to get done. If Anyone has any experience on a 2000 R6 i would really appreciate any help.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #17
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
That's where I got mine. I just rode there and picked it up though

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote