Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 07-24-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS
Default Drz uh oh

Well I went in the garage today and noticed a small puddle of oil underneath the drz. I would say about 100cc's total lost including residue on the bike. It came from the airbox through the filter. I laid it down once last time I rode it and didn't notice anything wrong with the engine. It was extremely hot that day, probably 100 or so. I drained the oil and there couldn't of been that much lost total. It was still pretty full. Coolant was still full as well.

Anyone have idea where I should start checking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I have heard of oil coming out through the air box is the bike was laid over... but it wasn't on the DRZ specifically... and I would imagine... for that much oil... it'd need to be laid over for a decent length of time..
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
I have heard of oil coming out through the air box is the bike was laid over... but it wasn't on the DRZ specifically... and I would imagine... for that much oil... it'd need to be laid over for a decent length of time..
It was only a few seconds but it was almost upside down lol. This was pretty early in the ride too. So I rode it for an hour or two after.

No oil on my trailer from the two hours it spent on there on the way home and stopping to get pizza either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 07-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

hum... no idea then... could have been saturated the filter... and taken a while to drip down...

I know the first time I used the red spray oil for my DRZ I saturated it... like it said... next morining I had red oil all over under my bike... apparently i saturated it TOO much... but it took almost 24hrs for the oil to drip down and escape the airbox... (then again this was much thicker oil than motor oil)
Old 07-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Trip
Hold mah beer!

I use no toil for my filter. It's red. This wasn't no toil. I was definitely low on oil too. Checked the dip stick.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

no I just meant that it takes a while for the oil to drip from the filter... if motoroil backed up through the intake and saturated the filter... it'd take a while for it (the motor oil) would drip down and leak out the bottom of the air box.

just used my air filter oil experience as an example.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #7
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Smokers can collect oil in the intake, because of a condition known as standoff (reversion) which is common with smokers...but I just looked it up, and a "DRZ" (I'm presuming it's a DRZ400) is a thumper, so it really shouldn't have that much standoff UNLESS you have a cam with a shitload of overlap.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
goof2
AMA Supersport

Is there a crankcase vent hose that feeds in to the airbox? If it does then oil may have been pushed in to that hose when the bike was on its side forcing it in to the airbox.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:28 PM   #9
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Is your DRZ made by Harley Davidson AMF. C'mon SON!

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #10
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Almost every modern engine, even mine, has a tube from the top of the engine to the airbox. This collects blowby and reburns it. When your bike was on it's side, oil got in there and went into the airbox and is now leaking out. My CBR has a hose at the bottom of the airbox to collect it.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote