Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 01-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #31
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Anyone here think going back to 1000cc will help Spies? I do. He's mentioned how much different the 800 is from his Superbike. The 1000 has to be closer to what he's used to. I think he'll still be competetive on the 800.
I don't know. IMHO the 800cc bike has more power and weighs less than a WSBK bike... I'm not sure how even more power will make him "comfortable". I think the differences are in the chassis and the electronics.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #32
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
I did this recently. The Buell loses. Even went heads up with my ZX636 and a good rider, We swapped and same result.

The 1125R is a great bike, lotsa fun, but isnt effecient at speed. Takes way more work to get the same speed. Fun yeah, maybe more, but still no win.
Oh well, that takes care of that...
Old 01-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #33
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I don't know. IMHO the 800cc bike has more power and weighs less than a WSBK bike... I'm not sure how even more power will make him "comfortable". I think the differences are in the chassis and the electronics.
Spies claims the 800s don't have much torque.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:43 PM   #34
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Spies claims the 800s don't have much torque.
Hmmm... I didn't know that. I wonder what the dyno says? I wonder if it's not because of the electronics? I find it really hard to believe that a MotoGp engine makes less of anything when compared to a WSBK engine. Unless it's on purpose.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #35
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Power is all about control or traction and how its delivered. Ride a 250 ninja on ice and tell if 30 hp is too much.

The heavier WSB bikes have full electronics and sticky but spec rubber. Their HP can be tuned to within 10-15 hp of a moto GP bike but it gets uncontrolable at that level.

the GP bike has less torque to upset their really great tires but more hp and electronics in play can seem easier to control.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:01 AM   #36
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Who is "we"? You can buy a GSXR750 tomorrow if you want... What's unfortunate, is that there isn't a class for it. I still don't understand why the GSXR isn't eligible to race in Daytona sportbike...
Not all that long ago, historically speaking, a 750 was a Superbike. I remember when the Canadian racing rules changed and Francis Martin went out for qualifying on his new Gixxer 1K. A back marker didn't abide by the gentlemen's agreement that only the top ten would be on-track for the last ten minutes of times qualifying. Francis gave it a *bit* too much throttle coming around the outside of him, damned near highsided himself into next week, but somehow saved it enough to ride it the hundred yards across the grass and into the track fence.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:16 PM   #37
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

I bet more than half the MotoGP field can't wait to get back on 1000s.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #38
smileyman
White Trash Hero

More important than displacement is the 6 engines per season rule. What crap. No rider wants to ride an engine thats been de tuned for reliability over the course of 2 race weekends or better...

Arkriders.com
Old 01-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #39
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
More important than displacement is the 6 engines per season rule. What crap. No rider wants to ride an engine thats been de tuned for reliability over the course of 2 race weekends or better...
Is that 6 engines total or is that 6 engines per bike? There are usually teams of 2 riders, each rider having 2 bikes plus maybe a back up engine or 2. If you have a bad weekend you could go through the entire allotment in 1 weekend if it's 6 engines total per team.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:26 PM   #40
smileyman
White Trash Hero

I heard per entry, so 6 for Stoner, 6 for Hayden in Ducatis case. I heard mention that most times when a bike crashes, especially if it eats gravel the engine is fragged. So you may get by on your backup bike for the weekend, but frequent offs could leave you without engines at the end of the season...

Arkriders.com