Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 12-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #21
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Didn't we already debate this?
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #22
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Didn't we already debate this?
It was determined that Appalachian Georgia meth makers are entitled to the same NetFlix, Vonage and Hulu as those of us that choose to live in the civilized world.

They may sell their wares on TV but the commercials must be no louder than the programming it is advertised with.

College football will go to a play-off system.

The goverment has spoken.

The masses are placated.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #23
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
It was determined that Appalachian Georgia meth makers are entitled to the same NetFlix, Vonage and Hulu as those of us that choose to live in the civilized world.

They may sell their wares on TV but the commercials must be no louder than the programming it is advertised with.

College football will go to a play-off system.

The goverment has spoken.

The masses are placated.
I know, what a fucking joke right? What's with creating a committee for every fucking controversy? Like the steroids thing?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:33 PM   #24
unknownroad
Guys... where *are* we?

Moto: SV650 Interstate, CX500 rat-bobber, whatever else runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I don't agree with this proposal. Most of the people who don't get high-speed now are in rural areas, with low population density. So if they put up new towers or cables to reach them, the cost per person is high.

Those people can always use dial-up. If they don't like how slow it is, tough luck. Move to a bigger city.
The only reason they (we) can use dial-up is because the Feds forced the telcos to do THAT (in 1996, IIRC).

Here are some fun facts about one particular area with no broadband service-
Per 2008 figures-
Population density: 94 people per square mile
(U.S. average is 86.2; states like Wyoming and Alaska are in the single digits. Kansas, which appears to have nearly universal coverage, is at 33.9 ppm^2)
Median household income- estimated $61k.
(National average, $50k.)
Median home price- $335,373
(National average- $232,100)
Approximately 20 minute drive to the nearest shopping mall or Wal-Mart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Dead on. Because Native Americans in southwest Alaska and Appalachian Georgia meth makers are the staple of our economy. Without the interwebz they can't operate.
There's also a lot of farmland that isn't covered. There's also the fact that high-speed Internet enables telecommuting (my wife works for a company on the other side of the country). There are also a lot of niche businesses that are based in rural areas to save overhead. In particular, I'll mention salvage yards, which are often useful to motorcyclists. Hell, living in a rural area means I can have half a dozen parts bikes stashed in the yard, from which I can then sell parts on eBay. Your over-simplification is a gross display of ignorance.

In summary, y'all can stuff that urban elitist bullshit where the sun don't shine
Old 12-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #25
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownroad View Post
There's also a lot of farmland that isn't covered...There are also a lot of niche businesses that are based in rural areas to save overhead. In particular, I'll mention salvage yards, which are often useful to motorcyclists. Hell, living in a rural area means I can have half a dozen parts bikes stashed in the yard, from which I can then sell parts on eBay. Your over-simplification is a gross display of ignorance.
Farmers can telecommute? Traffic must be a bitch in rural Kansas.

So we have roughly 111million households in the U.S. and only 1.11million are missing out on broadband? I wonder what percentage of those 1.11million if they recieve broadband internet suddenly would be starting internet business' and trading stocks with London?

Once the politicians, activists, and lobbyists get a hold of this, those rural areas will never see a new cell tower or cable for a hundreds miles.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #26
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
So we have roughly 111million households in the U.S. and only 1.11million are missing out on broadband? I wonder what percentage of those 1.11million if they recieve broadband internet suddenly would be starting internet business' and trading stocks with London?

Most would probably just do what everyone else does........Download pr0n and waste time reading gossip sites.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #27
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

So now Netflix is an inalienable right?

Last edited by Sean; 12-21-2009 at 09:46 PM..
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:22 PM   #28
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Farmers can telecommute? Traffic must be a bitch in rural Kansas.

Once the politicians, activists, and lobbyists get a hold of this, those rural areas will never see a new cell tower or cable for a hundreds miles.
It really doesn't matter what they use it for but what the problem with making it available?

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:40 PM   #29
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
It really doesn't matter what they use it for but what the problem with making it available?

James
I don't care if they have access to it.

I do care if the government is doing it (even under the pretense that it will boost our economy). I don't trust the US Government one bit and I really do not like them near our communications (especially with such free flowing information such as the internet). The farther away they are from communications the happier I am and the better it is for our republic.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:41 PM   #30
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post

Most would probably just do what everyone else does........Download pr0n and waste time reading gossip sites.
That's what I predict. Then again the John Deere forums would get a boost in membership. Economy fixed!