Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 02-28-2010, 12:39 PM   #21
goof2
AMA Supersport

Teachers in this state can choose to have their salary paid over the full year or only get paid when school is in session. It is up to them. Their benefits are in effect for the full year under either pay plan.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:47 PM   #22
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post

Between curriculum development, preparation for incoming special needs kids, meeting with the next grade to brief them on each kid coming into their classes, etc it's rare when my wife (who is an elementary school teacher) gets to take a break even in the summer and goes to bed after 1am every night.
How much preparation does it really take? If you teach let's say general math, do you really need to think of new ways to teach kids 25x2=50? Even in my college level Anatomy and Physiology class, the students who took it before say it is taught the exact same way as it was last year.

Now you said your wife deals with retarded kids. I can understand having to be prepped on each student and working hard to adjust to each student. I also believe those teachers do get paid more to compensate. But the majority of the students in our school systems are not retarded (lazy but not retarded).

These teachers in RI believed they worked for the teachers union and not the school. Now they are out of a job because of it and that is how it should be. If you are sucking in the private sector you can do two things. You can stay after and work hard (without extra pay) to get what needs to be done done, or you can get fired.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #23
sherri_chickie
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: Gs500F

I would love to see anyone who is not a teacher, who thinks teachers have it so easy, come into a classroom and teach for a week, including all the meetings, prep, grading etc that is involved. I worked it out. Even with 6 weeks off in the summer and two weeks of Christmas break and a week of spring break I worked over 50 hours a week/ 50 weeks a year.

And I said 6 weeks off in summer because that is all we got, the rest was going back early, getting out late, and professional development courses in the summer.
sherri_chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #24
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

If teaching is so bad then why teach? If teachers started leaving for jobs in the private sector then schools would start offering more money as demand for teachers grew (you can ask any Econ teacher). Obviously teaching isn't so bad if there seems to be an overabundance of teachers. Half the girls in my A&P class have teaching degrees or were teachers who are going to school for nursing because they can't find a job in teaching.

I'm also not buying into this "teaching is oh so hard, woe is me" crap. Teaching has always been known to be a cushy job. If it wasn't then they'd take jobs in the private sector for more money but they know they can never have as nice of a job as teaching in the private sector.

People teach for the easy job and the money. Nothing more and nothing less.

Oh yeah, I don't want to hear this "teaching is about the kids" crap either. If it was truly about that then the teachers in RI would be staying after school helping those children and this would have not made the news because they all wouldn't have been fired for demanding MORE MONEY.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #25
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherri_chickie View Post
I would love to see anyone who is not a teacher, who thinks teachers have it so easy, come into a classroom and teach for a week, including all the meetings, prep, grading etc that is involved. I worked it out. Even with 6 weeks off in the summer and two weeks of Christmas break and a week of spring break I worked over 50 hours a week/ 50 weeks a year.

And I said 6 weeks off in summer because that is all we got, the rest was going back early, getting out late, and professional development courses in the summer.
That is fine, but at this particular school half the students were failing every class they were taking. Maybe these teachers were doing everything they could to change that and maybe they weren't. To demand $90/hour for some extra work to try and improve is more than a little ridiculous. Maybe they did so because they didn't want to do the extra work or thought it wouldn't make a difference. If either is the case the school was going to be shut down anyway. At $90/hour I am happy with this result.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #26
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Josh: NY is definitely a totally different world in education. There's a ridiculous number of rules and crap here.

You have to REALLY love it to do it for any length of time. I got out because I spent more time dealing with political BS than actually teaching... I make much more money now but not a day goes by when I didn't wish I was standing in front of a classroom...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:01 PM   #27
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Josh: NY is definitely a totally different world in education. There's a ridiculous number of rules and crap here.

You have to REALLY love it to do it for any length of time. I got out because I spent more time dealing with political BS than actually teaching... I make much more money now but not a day goes by when I didn't wish I was standing in front of a classroom...
Im damn glad your not teaching the future generations!

Honestly, I didnt know you were a teacher! What do you do now?

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #28
sherri_chickie
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: Gs500F

I have had other jobs and I was bored with them. Teaching is so much more than just the "teaching" aspect now. There is a lot of political crap, testing etc. I could do a different job and make more money I am sure but I love feeling like I may be making a difference in the world or even to just one child who needs someone. It is not a cushy job by any means and anyone who thinks so has been misinformed.
sherri_chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:12 PM   #29
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
People teach for the easy job and the money. Nothing more and nothing less.
You're an idiot if you truly believe that. Nothing more and nothing less.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #30
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
You're an idiot if you truly believe that. Nothing more and nothing less.
Are you serious, have you even met some of the teachers out there?
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote