Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Sports Bar

Old 12-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #11
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by defector View Post
GSP has pretty good size for a welterweight. I don't think a move to 185 is too much of a stretch for him. Add in that he trains harder than probably anyone, and seems to always have the perfect gameplan for a given opponent, and it is an awesome fight.
...and this is what I would hope for but against Silva who has destroyed most in that division...I sure wouldn't be putting $$ on GSP. Silva is a monster and since it's his normal weight class...man I just don't know about GSP's chances. I am surely not bashing GSP...I'd be pulling for him.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #12
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Great fight, and overall a good night of fights.

GSP did what GSP does... no surprise he dominated, however the fact that he simply stood and banged the whole time was pretty refreshing. As far as him not finishing, it's hard to get pissed at him... he CERTAINLY could have gone for the KO anywhere past the 2nd round, but the guy's a smart, conservative, fighter. He develops a game plan, alters it as necessary, and remains disciplined throughout the entire fight. Maybe not as exciting as a devestating finish, but damn certain to maintain your dominance when you have clear advantages.

And people seem to forget the Hardy fight... hell, people bitched about GSP not finishing that fight... for fuck's sake, he looked like he was going to break off Hardy's arm... or at least break it in half. If it was anybody other than Hardy in there, he would have had the sub.

As far as Kos being a dick/douche/asshole/whatever, I think the guy's a cocky SOB who was hyping the fight. Chael Sonnen really set the bar for trash talking prior to the fight and now you see more fighters starting to do it... more trash talk, more PPV sales, more $$$ in yo' pocket. He even said it, it's business. Plus the editing on TUF wasn't the friendliest, as the case with all reality TV. Go find the clips of Kos that were edited out - they explain a lot more of the situations and really show just how liberal they were with the editing.

GSP vs. Silva - I predict, when it happens, Silva gets owned. The reason is two-fold. Silva does best against wild strikers... his countering is AMAZING. GSP is not a wild striker... he's disciplined and doesn't take many, if any, chances. The 2nd reason, and most important, Silva struggles against really good wrestlers... and GSP is a REALLY good wrestler. The weight difference is less than what people make it out to be. GSP is a big welterweight and Silva is an average sized middleweight... forget that he has faught at light-heavyweight. Since GSP usually takes about a year off between fights, he could very well pack on 10lbs of muscle and be right there with Silva.

That said, I'm not completely convinced that would be a title fight. Silva's gotta get through Belfort, which is going to be a fucking AWESOME fight... and GSP has to get through Sheilds. IMHO, Silva will take Belfort... but the question is, can GSP take Sheilds. If Sheilds comes in healthy - no retarded weight cut - and can get inside of GSP's reach, I see it going to the ground and Sheilds smothering GSP. Can he finish him? I'm not sure, probably not, but I could see him humping out a win. That's what's going to be REAL interesting... how that fight progresses if it goes to the ground. If GSP can stay standing, he will fuck Sheilds up.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:38 PM   #13
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Oh and to add... I'm SOOOOOOOO glad to see Thiago Alves BACK! Man, he looked fucking ridiculously awesome in there... I can't wait to see him fight again.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #14
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville

Silva claims to walk around at about 220 pounds and has asked for fights at heavyweight. GSP came into his last fight at just under 190 pounds. Silva is a good bit taller and would have a significant reach advantage. No doubt, he is a bigger guy than St. Pierre. I do not believe, however, that Silva holds any strength advantage. Take striking out of the equation and I'd bet a 170-pound GSP rag-dolls a 185-pound Silva. Anderson Silva is a fighter; GSP is an athlete.

If Silva moves down to face GSP (which Silva himself has suggested; he started fighting at like 167 pounds, after all), GSP takes it. If GSP moves up to 185, it's a toss-up. I think GSP can do everything Sonnen did in his fight with Silva, plus avoid the submissions to take a UD win. That said, any time spent on the feet with Silva is just one counter-strike away from semi-consciousness. GSP got tagged by the T-Rex arms of Matt Serra, who may have power, but lacks the reach and timing of Silva.
Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:47 AM   #15
z06boy
Letzroll

You guys are getting me excited...let's set this fight up !! Of course though it's also exciting just to know that Silva/Belfort and GSP/Shields is in the future...hopefully.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #16
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville

I think Shields would have been a bigger threat to Silva than he is to GSP. After dismantling Henderson, he should have stayed at 185 and challenged Anderson Silva for his first UFC fight. He's as good a grappler as Sonnen and a better Jiu-Jitsu artist than Silva.

He wouldn't have lost any stock losing that fight, because he would have been fighting a champion a class higher than his natural weight. If he loses at 170, however, he jeopardizes his credibility at 185.
Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #17
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
I think Shields would have been a bigger threat to Silva than he is to GSP. After dismantling Henderson, he should have stayed at 185 and challenged Anderson Silva for his first UFC fight. He's as good a grappler as Sonnen and a better Jiu-Jitsu artist than Silva.

He wouldn't have lost any stock losing that fight, because he would have been fighting a champion a class higher than his natural weight. If he loses at 170, however, he jeopardizes his credibility at 185.
From what I gather, that was not a Sheilds decision, but rather a Dana White move...
Old 12-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #18
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Default Anybody see WEC 53?

I missed it, but THIS is awesome!

Old 12-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #19
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

Was there last night. They were pimping Faber pretty hard all night.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #20
z06boy
Letzroll

I saw the MMA Awards show but didn't see the fights yet. It's sitting on the DVR just waiting for me.