Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 11-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #11
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
You should be able to. WIth proper alignment to the valve stem
Exactly. This guy knows his shit. His shop is up by my dad's place.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #12
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
And good wheels...

the only time mine wouldn't balance right off the changer was when my wheels had started to egg. Got new wheels, problem solved.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #13
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Yes and no.

Most street tires come "pre-balanced", in that there will be a small blue or yellow dot, usually on or next to the bead, that indicates the lightest part of the tire. This mark is 180 degrees from where the cords or belts overlap, which would be the heaviest part of the tire. Theoretically, this mark is installed at the valve stem, which is the heaviest part of the rim.

This is not, however, not completely accurate. It's just a starting point. By rotating the tire on the rim, you can decrease the amount of weight needed, sometimes all the way to zero. Most shops will not do this, because it is extremely time consuming. You have to keep moving the tire/rim back and forth between the changing machine and the balancer, and adjust the dot placement as you go, about an inch at a time. Huge PITA.

Even if the mark is installed at the valve stem, you can still be off as much as 2-3 oz., and that's a lot of weights. I will usually try to get a tire down to .75 oz, or less, before I stop fucking with it.

Troy is right, it's best to get your tires balanced as close to perfect as you can, especially if your going to run at triple digits. Find a shop that has a computerized dynamic balancer if possible. These machines will not only balance the tire "top-to-bottom" but also side to side. You're not going to get it any better than that.

Oh, my answer is very picky, if you haven't already guessed.

JC
Old 11-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #14
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

I've never had an issue with one being out of balance or at least I've never noticed any of my tires being out. If I noticed it I would want it corrected but again...never had an issue with any tire change.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:30 PM   #15
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I had a guy that could balance the tire with no weight, just by mounting it. Worked on every tire, every time. He's throw it on the balancer to prove it.
I need to talk to this guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Yes and no.

Most street tires come "pre-balanced", in that there will be a small blue or yellow dot, usually on or next to the bead, that indicates the lightest part of the tire. This mark is 180 degrees from where the cords or belts overlap, which would be the heaviest part of the tire. Theoretically, this mark is installed at the valve stem, which is the heaviest part of the rim.

This is not, however, not completely accurate. It's just a starting point. By rotating the tire on the rim, you can decrease the amount of weight needed, sometimes all the way to zero. Most shops will not do this, because it is extremely time consuming. You have to keep moving the tire/rim back and forth between the changing machine and the balancer, and adjust the dot placement as you go, about an inch at a time. Huge PITA.

Even if the mark is installed at the valve stem, you can still be off as much as 2-3 oz., and that's a lot of weights. I will usually try to get a tire down to .75 oz, or less, before I stop fucking with it.

Troy is right, it's best to get your tires balanced as close to perfect as you can, especially if your going to run at triple digits. Find a shop that has a computerized dynamic balancer if possible. These machines will not only balance the tire "top-to-bottom" but also side to side. You're not going to get it any better than that.

Oh, my answer is very picky, if you haven't already guessed.

JC
Good post, though I did know it was a PITA to do. I too am very picky and sensitive to even slight imbalance. One of the first things I do it hit 100+ just to see if they did t right. I have found a place, knock on wood, that does a nice job. I think they have the computer balancer. I know it isn't the bubble balancer like the dealership closest to me.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:17 AM   #16
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
I need to talk to this guy!

Dugan's Cycle in Duncannon, PA.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #17
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

I hear ya. I'm just saying it SHOULD be able to be done.

Don't matter to me. I run beads and therefor it only costs me about $6 a wheel and they are balenced better than stick/clamp on weights. IMO

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #18
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

I still can't understand how a bunch of free floating weight in your tire would balance it.

If that's the case, water in the tires would have the same effect and be cheaper.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #19
N2O Junkie
Trailer Queen

Moto: 01 zx6r streetfighter, 08 1125R

I don't typically care whether its balanced or not... I can handle some vibrations... its not going to make me go down lol.
N2O Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #20
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
I still can't understand how a bunch of free floating weight in your tire would balance it.

If that's the case, water in the tires would have the same effect and be cheaper.
Read up on it. I have posted links many times.

BUt I have put them in countless bikes. They work.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote