Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 11-19-2009, 11:49 AM   #21
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

There's no need to read up on it.

They're not magic beads. They can't search out a spot in your tire that needs weight. If anything they will spread out evenly throughout the tire and make it the exact same as before.
Centrifugal force dictates this.

If you think they work for you, peace of mind is all that matters.

But, scientifically speaking, they don't make any sense.

Your heaviest spot on your tire will be thrown out the hardest by the forces being applied. The beads, if anything, would go to that spot and amplify the effect.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #22
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
There's no need to read up on it.

They're not magic beads. They can't search out a spot in your tire that needs weight. If anything they will spread out evenly throughout the tire and make it the exact same as before.
Centrifugal force dictates this.

If you think they work for you, peace of mind is all that matters.

But, scientifically speaking, they don't make any sense.

Your heaviest spot on your tire will be thrown out the hardest by the forces being applied. The beads, if anything, would go to that spot and amplify the effect.
I heard some good reviews about the Dyna beads, but so far no one has been able to answer the one question I have about them, which is:

How do you know they're working? Is it just by "feel"?

Also, this blurb from their website makes no sense to me:

Can I put the tire on a balancer to see if it's working?

No. Dyna Beads operates on physics principles, and requires the tire assembly to be in motion against a road surface to detect the exact counterbalance position. An electronic balancer has a solid, fixed mount, and does not allow the tire to react to imbalance.

Ok. I balanced and installed more tires than I can count, back when I owned a shop. Ballpark- maybe close to 1000. I don't claim to be an expert on all things tire, but the highlighted statement is completely false. Obviously electronic balancers allow the tire to react to imbalance, since, well, that's what they fucking do.

I'm not saying they don't work, because frankly, I don't know. But it bothers me that there is no apparent way to test them, or compare them to traditional balancing, other than the "seat of the pants" method.

JC
Old 11-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #23
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

I did do a bit of reading ala google. And mcn reviewed em, said they didn't do anything.

Some ppl say they cause severe imbalance at high speeds.

Then I happen upon an idea that put it to rest for me. How come the only proof they have is a water bottle and a drill? Where is the documentation? The racers who use them? The scientific documentation?

Of the several threads I've read on different forums they all say the same, "they make no sense".

And then somebody posted a dynabeads FAQ which stated they would not work on "race" tires because the rubber is too soft.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:56 PM   #24
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Amj, there are ways to show they work. They just don't seem to want to prove it.

Do a video of an unbalanced tire, throw the beads in and show the video of that. Problem solved.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:24 PM   #25
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Amj, there are ways to show they work. They just don't seem to want to prove it.

Do a video of an unbalanced tire, throw the beads in and show the video of that. Problem solved.
I'm with you on this one. If they don't show being in balance on a spin balancer, they ain't balanced.

Centrifugal force doesn't come and go depending on whether or not the tire is touching a road surface.

I also don't see how the beads would have any effect at all, on lateral balance, since centrifugal force would dictate that the beads would seek the center of the tire only.

JC
Old 11-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #26
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

I've never even head of these Dyna beads. Doesn't sound like anything I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Dugan's Cycle in Duncannon, PA.
Great... nothing like an 11 hour drive to have 2 tires balanced. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2O Junkie View Post
I don't typically care whether its balanced or not... I can handle some vibrations... its not going to make me go down lol.
For me it isn't about going down, it is about comfort and my hands/arms not going numb from the shake. I can feel the slightest imperfection.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:40 AM   #27
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

I don't know guys. All I can tell you is that I have been runing them in 4 of my own bikes. Removed 1-2 oz from each tire that I put beads in. Works great!

Put them in a few choppers that had 100mph wobbles. Beads in... no more wobble.

I have probably installed these in 2 dozen bikes myself. EVERY SINGLE ONE has had great results.

For what its worth, Drewpy was also running them in the RC as well.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #28
N2O Junkie
Trailer Queen

Moto: 01 zx6r streetfighter, 08 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
I've never even head of these Dyna beads. Doesn't sound like anything I want.

Great... nothing like an 11 hour drive to have 2 tires balanced. Oh well.

For me it isn't about going down, it is about comfort and my hands/arms not going numb from the shake. I can feel the slightest imperfection.
i can feel it too... but it doesnt bother me lol. I don't do a lot of "cruising" where it would bother me really. I guess i got used to it over the years. Rather deal w/ a slight shake and get used to it then be anal about having it smooth as butter.

When rocking through the twisties.. it makes no difference. Hard on the gas.. hard on the brakes... pucks on the ground... its all stable.
N2O Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #29
was92v
Nowhere Man

I always line up the heavy point of the wheel with the light mark on the tire and rarely need much, if any weight. In my experience the valve stem is almost never the heavy point of a cast wheel.
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:22 PM   #30
RedRider2k2
Holier Than Thou

Moto: 06 ZX10R, 18 400 Ninja, 11 KLX250s

Quote:
If that's the case, water in the tires would have the same effect and be cheaper.
It does and it is. Truckers have been balancing tires with a couple of cups of coolant for years. Lately we've been installing balancers on trucks too. It's basically a ring that feels like it's full of sand or fine beads that can shift around inside it. It sits between the rim and drum. Keeps the tires balanced and the only real steer tire wear seems to come from poor alignment. If you know Heavy Truck steer tires, you know they need to be balanced well. (Especially Bridgstones)

I've never really looked into why it works but it does seem to.
RedRider2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote