Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 08-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets
Default 2010 moty

I'm not surprised... BMW S1000rr is Motorcyclist Magazine's Motorcycle of the Year.

Best sportbike: Aprilia RSV4
Best naked: Kawasaki Z1000
Best touring: Ducati multistrada 1200s
Best adventure: BMW 1200gs
Best dreambike: Ducati 1198r corse
Best bang for the Buck: HD forty-eight
Best cruiser: triumph Thunderbird
Best dirtbike: Yamaha yz450f

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
I'm not surprised... BMW S1000rr is Motorcyclist Magazine's Motorcycle of the Year.

Best sportbike: Aprilia RSV4
Best naked: Kawasaki Z1000
Best touring: Ducati multistrada 1200s
Best adventure: BMW 1200gs
Best dreambike: Ducati 1198r corse
Best bang for the Buck: HD forty-eight
Best cruiser: triumph Thunderbird
Best dirtbike: Yamaha yz450f
I can't put much credit in these especially after the whole helmet debacle.

but seriously the best ADVENTURE bike is the 1200gs?! come on... great bike to be sure... but that's like saying the best off road vehicle is a Hummer. there are MUCH more capable bikes for Adventure Riding... shit My DRZ for one! KLR for two!

I'm not trying to take anything away from the S1000rr... but these "awards" are a joke... just like the J.D. Power and Associates, Car and Driver... ect
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
I can't put much credit in these especially after the whole helmet debacle.

but seriously the best ADVENTURE bike is the 1200gs?! come on... great bike to be sure... but that's like saying the best off road vehicle is a Hummer. there are MUCH more capable bikes for Adventure Riding... shit My DRZ for one! KLR for two!

I'm not trying to take anything away from the S1000rr... but these "awards" are a joke... just like the J.D. Power and Associates, Car and Driver... ect
Gotta agree with you on this...

I think this is where the varying definition of "adventure riding" comes into play.

My definition, for example, is simply riding some distance to someplace to which I've never been. It can be totally on-road the whole way. *shrug*

This debate, however, has been going on for some time.

(by the way, someday there WILL be a GS in my garage )

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.

Last edited by Particle Man; 08-08-2010 at 10:21 AM..
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Ebbs, I don't disagree with the overall sentiment, many surveys are just worth their weight in paper.

As far as your take on adventure riding, that 1200gs is the bomb diggity mack daddy of adventure riding. It is much more than a "big dirt bike" as it not only handles off pavement maneuvers, but can take a distance ride without too much wear on bike AND rider.

FWIW, KLR was the runner up.
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Ebbs, I don't disagree with the overall sentiment, many surveys are just worth their weight in paper.

As far as your take on adventure riding, that 1200gs is the bomb diggity mack daddy of adventure riding. It is much more than a "big dirt bike" as it not only handles off pavement maneuvers, but can take a distance ride without too much wear on bike AND rider.

FWIW, KLR was the runner up.
yeah I wasn't trying to discount your post or stir up an argument (glad you didn't take it that way)

Like I said... the GS is a great bike... but not the best off road... yes... a great rider can take it places I can't go with my DRZ... but that's all rider skill.

shit look at trip... I'm sure he'd be able to do just about anything I can do on my DRZ on his GS... but he's got skill in loads beyond mine.

I guess it's like PM said... varying definitions of Adventure. for me, Adventure needs to throw in some off road. otherwise... it's just touring. now depending on what kind of off road your talking about... the GS could be king... but I think it's just too big to be truly at home off road. JMO

but I may be bias... as I'm starting to dislike big bikes... more and more with the DRZ I'm loving how small and nimble they are... and wonder why you'd ever want to have 500+lbs of bike (not including gear) to maneuver around.

I heard a good quote about adventure riding
"at the end of the day... you'll never wish your bike was bigger or heavier... you'll only ever wish it was smaller and lighter" Austin Vince
Old 08-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

An adventure doesn't have to be hardcore dirt, it can be even on road... The GS is one of the best all around bikes and thus great for an adventure bike. It's amazing for touring, it's a shitty dirt bike, it's an awesome primitive road bike, it's a fuckin amazing road bike, it can carry a ton. It's got a lot of positives.

A DRZ is not even a one trick pony. It's mediocre at every thing it does. It's a shitty dirt bike, it's a shitty touring bike, it's very hindered by it's 5 gears.

Hell, I really want a WR250X to replace my DRZ because it's like a DRZ on crack. It's so much lighter and better for true dirt, it's got EFI, it's got a 6th gear for road fun. It's got the same power.

Too many people associate adventure riding with dirt, that's not everything adventure is about. They already have a name for that, it's called dirt riding. They already got a name for on and off road, it's dual sport. Adventure is just getting out there and having a blast and having an ADVENTURE, it can be any type of riding. Don't be a dumbass Jo Momma bitch and try to make it sound elitist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!

Last edited by Trip; 08-08-2010 at 11:36 AM..
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
An adventure doesn't have to be hardcore dirt, it can be even on road... The GS is one of the best all around bikes and thus great for an adventure bike. It's amazing for touring, it's a shitty dirt bike, it's an awesome primitive road bike, it's a fuckin amazing road bike, it can carry a ton. It's got a lot of positives.

A DRZ is not even a one trick pony. It's mediocre at every thing it does. It's a shitty dirt bike, it's a shitty touring bike, it's very hindered by it's 5 gears.

Hell, I really want a WR250X to replace my DRZ because it's like a DRZ on crack. It's so much lighter and better for true dirt, it's got EFI, it's got a 6th gear for road fun. It's got the same power.

Too many people associate adventure riding with dirt, that's not everything adventure is about. They already have a name for that, it's called dirt riding. They already got a name for on and off road, it's dual sport. Adventure is just getting out there and having a blast and having an ADVENTURE, it can be any type of riding. Don't be a dumbass Jo Momma bitch and try to make it sound elitist.
I'm not knocking the GS... just saying I don't think it's the top ADVENTURE bike... IMO. too heavy. and carrying a lot IMO isn't a positive... just adds more weight... and useless items.

The DRZ sucks in the states for touring... because of the long distances and our (american's) need to get everywhere fast. but I've got no complaints other than the seat. which, I've yet to find a bike that had a stock seat that was great (I'm sure there are a couple out there... just not the majority) but get out of the US... the speeds slow down and the DRZ is fine. shit I can still do 75 all day and get 45mpg... did that with Gas for 750+miles.

I wasn't trying to turn this into a my bike is better than that one argument. Just trying to state that these awards are fucking bullshit and there are far better bikes out there.

and Trip... they already have a name for what you described Adventure riding as too... it's called TOURING. I'm all about people getting out and riding... regardless of where you go or how you do it... it'll be an adventure (some more so than others). but I think if you take your definition of Dual sport riding... and Touring... you'll have what I in-vision as Adventure riding.

I wasn't trying to make anything sound elitist... wtf did that come from?
Old 08-08-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
I'm not knocking the GS... just saying I don't think it's the top ADVENTURE bike... IMO. too heavy. and carrying a lot IMO isn't a positive... just adds more weight... and useless items.

The DRZ sucks in the states for touring... because of the long distances and our (american's) need to get everywhere fast. but I've got no complaints other than the seat. which, I've yet to find a bike that had a stock seat that was great (I'm sure there are a couple out there... just not the majority) but get out of the US... the speeds slow down and the DRZ is fine. shit I can still do 75 all day and get 45mpg... did that with Gas for 750+miles.

I wasn't trying to turn this into a my bike is better than that one argument. Just trying to state that these awards are fucking bullshit and there are far better bikes out there.

and Trip... they already have a name for what you described Adventure riding as too... it's called TOURING. I'm all about people getting out and riding... regardless of where you go or how you do it... it'll be an adventure (some more so than others). but I think if you take your definition of Dual sport riding... and Touring... you'll have what I in-vision as Adventure riding.

I wasn't trying to make anything sound elitist... wtf did that come from?
I am not saying touring. I didn't say long distances at all or even having to go anywhere. I said just getting out there. You don't even need to go very far from your house to have an adventure.

Carrying a lot is a positive, you don't have to carry a ton, but having the ability is a positive for someone who wants to pack a lot if they are going on a very long trip.

This thread is just taking a turn that every adventure riding definition takes on adv rider. That's why I say elitist. Hell a harley can be a great adventure riding bike. I don't think there is a #1 adv bike. I think the #1 adv bike is the bike any person owns, because that's the bike you are going to have an adventure on.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 08-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #9
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I am not saying touring. I didn't say long distances at all or even having to go anywhere. I said just getting out there. You don't even need to go very far from your house to have an adventure.

Carrying a lot is a positive, you don't have to carry a ton, but having the ability is a positive for someone who wants to pack a lot if they are going on a very long trip.

This thread is just taking a turn that every adventure riding definition takes on adv rider. That's why I say elitist. Hell a harley can be a great adventure riding bike. I don't think there is a #1 adv bike. I think the #1 adv bike is the bike any person owns, because that's the bike you are going to have an adventure on.
then what's the point of the category then if every bike can be an adventure bike?

I agree the best bike, is the bike your sitting on... but to stir the pot a bit using your definition... I think you'll have more of an adventure on a moped than a GS... after all... getting into things way over your head is an adventure! just like the Top Gear episode with the $1000 bikes!
Old 08-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #10
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
then what's the point of the category then if every bike can be an adventure bike?

I agree the best bike, is the bike your sitting on... but to stir the pot a bit using your definition... I think you'll have more of an adventure on a moped than a GS... after all... getting into things way over your head is an adventure! just like the Top Gear episode with the $1000 bikes!
It's a stupid category. I agree.

That episode was awesome, but I don't think it was the bikes. It was the people that made it fun.
Quote: